The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

He gave on one side of the ball, and he took away on the other side.

It's a team game, and the 2018 Orioles are losers that have found ways to lose games much more often than not ........ with or without Manny Machado, with or without Tim Beckham, etc.

o

50 minutes ago, weams said:

Let's be real. The game was lost by Dylan Bundy. The end. Everyone else gave it a try. 

o

I don't think that assigning blame to last night's solitary loss matters much, which was the point of my post.

The 2018 Orioles are losers. The starting pitching at-large is currently tied for 9th in the Majors in quality starts. Everything else around it has been horrible ........ the offense, the defense, and the bullpen.

So there is no need to defend Beckham, to blame Bundy, etc ........ the team just sucks overall, as is evidenced by the fact that they are on pace to lose more than 100 games.

o

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another game directly lost by the putrid defense.

Two run 4th inning rally started with a ball to center field that landed at the base of the wall. At least 80% of ML outfielders easily get to that ball.

In the 7th inning the 4th run scores courtesy of a hit batter, walk and throwing error by some journeyman pitcher.

Just can't overstate how much this defense has destroyed this team.

13 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Another game directly lost by the putrid defense.

Two run 4th inning rally started with a ball to center field that landed at the base of the wall. At least 80% of ML outfielders easily get to that ball.

In the 7th inning the 4th run scores courtesy of a hit batter, walk and throwing error by some journeyman pitcher.

Just can't overstate how much this defense has destroyed this team.

Of course, scoring more than 3 runs also would help.   But yeah, it’s ugly to watch this team, which is why I’ve mostly stopped watching.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course, scoring more than 3 runs also would help.   But yeah, it’s ugly to watch this team, which is why I’ve mostly stopped watching.   

I'm switching back and forth to LAD games to watch Manny's AB.

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/31)

Tim Beckham just committed his 14th error of the season, and he has only played in 56 games.

Of those 14 errors, 7 have been as a shortstop ........ of which he has only played only 13 games and had only 56 chances at !!! ) O.o ) He has an .875 Fielding Percentage at the position.

o

18 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/31)

Tim Beckham just committed his 14th error of the season, and he has only played in 56 games.

Of those 14 errors, 7 have been as a shortstop ........ of which he has only played only 13 games and had only 56 chances at !!! ) O.o ) He has an .875 Fielding Percentage at the position.

o

o

(vs. YANKEES, 8/01)

Only 4 innings of the game have been completed, and the Orioles already have 3 misplays (2 official errors, plus 1 infield single on a playable ball that Chris Davis was unable to reel in.))

Fortunately, Alex Cobb was able top work around all of those miscues without allowing the Yankees to plate any additional runs as a result of them.

o

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The defenders seem pretty nonchalant about the whole thing.

I thought they would have more energy with the new guys.But still not really that much of a youth infusion.Next year I dont want to see four guys over 33 or older playing most of the time.That is not a rebuild .Joseph,Jones,Trumbo and Davis.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The defenders seem pretty nonchalant about the whole thing.

I believe we need Bordy to clear things up for us - (and I paraphrase) "Bobby D works with these guys every day in workout tights, emphasizing the fine points (repeating them over and over), backing up plays and making accurate throws.  Sometimes, it just doesn't work out as planned, but O's IF's are some of the hardest-working groups, perhaps in the MLB."

Buck might also chime in on the "want to".  "The things I see in the preparation to detail, behind the scenes, things fans don't see ..."

18 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I thought they would have more energy with the new guys.But still not really that much of a youth infusion.Next year I dont want to see four guys over 33 or older playing most of the time.That is not a rebuild .Joseph,Jones,Trumbo and Davis.

Take a look at who was involved with that play. Those were all "younger" guys.  I hope Peterson is not on the team next year, Valera is riding the Norfolk shuttle, and Villar is not playing SS. 

Archived