Bedard injured

bummer

Two of those coaches, with the team in Atlanta, wanted to talk about what McLaren would not. They spoke under the cloak of anonymity, they said, to keep their jobs.

“You’ve got players in that clubhouse who should be team leaders – guys like Richie Sexson, Adrian Beltre, Erik Bedard, even Ichiro – who care only about themselves,” one coach said. “When your best players are hitting 50-60 points below their career averages and won’t take extra batting practice, what message does that send?

“You had kids at the park six hours before a game to work with (former hitting coach) Jeff Pentland one-on-one in the cage, and you had Beltre, who’d never do it. Pretty soon, the younger guys weren’t doing it, either.”

Asked about internal jealousies, one of the Mariners coaches laughed.

“You had pitchers complaining about having to throw to (catcher) Kenji Johjima all spring, then saw him get a three-year contract extension in April,” the coach said. “You had guys watch Felix (Hernandez) work his (butt) off in camp and watched Bedard do the minimum – and Bedard was the opening-day starter.”

The second coach offered other details.

“Arthur Rhodes started sitting on the bench when players were taking extra hitting, extra infield drills, and shouting, 'Where’s Richie? Anyone seen Richie Sexson?’ because Sexson was never there,” he said.

“Then Bedard started setting his own pitch counts, and sitting in the clubhouse during games he didn’t start. Mac tried dealing with that – we all did. How do you make the highest-paid players on your team work harder if they decide they’re not going to?”

Wow.

Yea, I recently read about the Johjima and Ichiro stuff...At least they are both around for a while!

Shame what has happened to Seattle this year.

The good thing is they probably can get themselves back fairly quickly.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, Ty Cobb, but assuming these things are true I don't think you can say "That sounds like Bedard is hardly to blame." (NOTE: I see that bummer apparently added something that you may not have seen.)

There are very few people on this board who like Bedard more than I do (and you're obviously one of them), but I'd have a hard time defending them on these charges (assuming they're true, of course). There doesn't seem to be much excuse for Bedard to sit in the clubhouse on days he didn't start. At least I wouldn't think that's condoned on other teams.

Reference the part about him supposedly setting his own pitch counts - if he knows he's done, then he's done, so I have a hard time getting upset over that part.

Reference the part about him not working hard enough. I'd like to know the role of the coach being quoted. For instance, if he's the outfield instructor then maybe he doesn't know the whole story. If he's Mel Stottlemyre, then that's probably another valid ding against Bedard. The other thought that came to mind is that maybe he was doing things the way he did them in ST with the Orioles. Of course, that still isn't a great excuse.

On a side note, sorry bummer, but I can't tell you how happy I am to read an article like this that doesn't involve problems in the Orioles clubhouse. This is exactly the type of thing we'd read about the Orioles seemingly on an annual basis. At least Perlozzo should feel at home.

Count me as a big Bedard fan, who always defended him against charges that he was selfish while he was here, who is beginning to think he was wrong.

Sorry, Ty Cobb, but assuming these things are true I don't think you can say "That sounds like Bedard is hardly to blame." (NOTE: I see that bummer apparently added something that you may not have seen.)

There are very few people on this board who like Bedard more than I do (and you're obviously one of them), but I'd have a hard time defending them on these charges (assuming they're true, of course). There doesn't seem to be much excuse for Bedard to sit in the clubhouse on days he didn't start. At least I wouldn't think that's condoned on other teams.

Reference the part about him supposedly setting his own pitch counts - if he knows he's done, then he's done, so I have a hard time getting upset over that part.

Reference the part about him not working hard enough. I'd like to know the role of the coach being quoted. For instance, if he's the outfield instructor then maybe he doesn't know the whole story. If he's Mel Stottlemyre, then that's probably another valid ding against Bedard. The other thought that came to mind is that maybe he was doing things the way he did them in ST with the Orioles. Of course, that still isn't a great excuse.

On a side note, sorry bummer, but I can't tell you how happy I am to read an article like this that doesn't involve problems in the Orioles clubhouse. This is exactly the type of thing we'd read about the Orioles seemingly on an annual basis. At least Perlozzo should feel at home.

Yea I didn't get the this line

“Then Bedard started setting his own pitch counts, and sitting in the clubhouse during games he didn’t start. Mac tried dealing with that – we all did. How do you make the highest-paid players on your team work harder if they decide they’re not going to?”

I have a big problem with that if Bedard says "I can only go 110 today or 80 or some number". Now if he is on the mound in the 6th inning and says to the coach, "I got nothing left" , that is a different story and I would want all my pitchers to be like that.

That sounds like Bedard is hardly to blame and just was thrown into an awful clubhouse.
I don't think he can get a pass just because other guys were/are doing shameless stuff. If Bedard really isn't putting in the work as these coaches suggest, then that is a big problem.

I don't think he can get a pass just because other guys were/are doing shameless stuff. If Bedard really isn't putting in the work as these coaches suggest, then that is a big problem.

I don't know where it says that Bedard isn't putting in his work? Bedard spends the off season pitching in Canada to get his arm in shape for the season. He isn't overweight. The line about how Felix works his butt off and Bedard does the minimum means very little to me. Bedard is a veteran that knows his body and how to pitch. I highly doubt he got this far doing the minimum. When he was asked what he would like to do was , "Win games". Plus like 1970 asked, who are these coaches?

Count me as a big Bedard fan, who always defended him against charges that he was selfish while he was here, who is beginning to think he was wrong.

Yeah, I gotta say, that's pretty damning stuff, if true. My stance on Bedard has always been that I don't care how much of a jerk he is, as long as he's doing his best to be the best pitcher he can be. That, and to at least be decent to your teammates, if not to the media. If he's not doing that, then I'll need to seriously re-evaluate my view on him.

That said, if I were unwittingly dragged into the vortex of suck that is the Mariners' clubhouse this year, I'd probably want to hide in the clubhouse, too. I almost feel bad for the guy. Ever had a job where everyone hates each other and blames each other for the deficiencies of the whole? I haven't, but I'd imagine it'd be an absolute nightmare.

Bedard is not a leader of men - I think we can all agree on that. He needs to be in a good situation where he's not expected to be a leader, just to pitch. Arizona, St. Louis, either LA team, etc. Definitely not New York or Chicago, I'll say that.

Guest JChav

My first thought when I saw the news about his injury last night coupled with the info I see here about his alleged malcontent attitude was...

Payton, Millar, and Liz should be the ticket to bring him home:rofl:

In all seriousness, I have always had a soft spot for the Mariners (I liked their logo when I was a kid, hey give me a break I was 10). I hope their FO sees the writing on the wall and gets whatever they can for their valuable players.

Bummer, if you say you believe LA is one of the few teams Ichiro would accept a trade to, that's not necessarily a bad thing. They have plenty to offer and deep pockets. The main question there is if they'd be interested...

Jim Palmer was on Anita Mark's Show today and he was talking about the off-season trades. The conversation got around to Erik Bedard and Palmer mentioned his performance last year in Washington. Which was 7 innings pitched, 12 strikeouts on 98 pitches thrown, your bullpen in shambles and Bedard walks off the mound and says he's done. To paraphrase Palmer -

"Not my kind of of pitcher".

Said Earl Weaver would have tackled him to keep him on the mound...

A couple of thoughts:

1. I don't know why any team would give up a whole lot for Ichiro. I'm not saying that he isn't talented, but he's got a huge contract, looks to be declining, and turns 35 this year. If Ichiro isn't batting over .300 and loses a step or two, his value really takes a hit.

2. I see that a lot of Bedard supporters on here are starting to change their opinion about him a bit. While I did think that Bedard was clearly the best pitcher on the O's when he was healthy, he did have a few warts. I guess they are easier to see now that he isn't wearing O's colors.

3. This is a good reason the Orioles should try and trade Roberts. Not because I think Roberts has the same warts Bedard had (I don't think so, in fact I think Roberts is probably a very good team guy). But moreso because Roberts is probably at or near his peak right now, much like Bedard was last year. I could easily see him start to decline as early as next year. And similar to Ichiro, I see Roberts value tied to his baserunning skills and OBP.

I obviously don't know who you're talking about, but have reason to think that you may be referring somewhat to me, and to my post in this thread. If you are referring to me, then you are dead wrong. I have not changed my opinion of him one bit. If he's healthy (not sure why anyone would want an injured veteran pitcher), and if I were a GM I'd welcome the opportunity to add Erik Bedard to my rotation (as much as most any soon to be realistically available veteran pitcher I can think of). I don't care how he supposedly treats the press. I don't care what one unnamed Mariners coach has to say about him. Doesn't bother me one bit that Jim Palmer thinks he's soft or that blowhard Dave Johnson doesn't like him. If the definition of soft is a starting pitcher who can consistently give me 6-7 IP while putting up the numbers Erik Bedard puts up, I'd love to have a staff full of soft pitchers.

What he said!

I obviously don't know who you're talking about, but have reason to think that you may be referring somewhat to me, and to my post in this thread. If you are referring to me, then you are dead wrong. I have not changed my opinion of him one bit. If he's healthy (not sure why anyone would want an injured veteran pitcher), and if I were a GM I'd welcome the opportunity to add Erik Bedard to my rotation (as much as most any soon to be realistically available veteran pitcher I can think of). I don't care how he supposedly treats the press. I don't care what one unnamed Mariners coach has to say about him. Doesn't bother me one bit that Jim Palmer thinks he's soft or that blowhard Dave Johnson doesn't like him. If the definition of soft is a starting pitcher who can consistently give me 6-7 IP while putting up the numbers Erik Bedard puts up, I'd love to have a staff full of soft pitchers.

Relax.

I just said that some posters on OH who before thought the world of Bedard are now at least able to admit that he may have a few warts, whereas they might not have been able to in the past. I'm not referring to anyone in particular. It's just a general sense I'm getting, which I suppose can be expected once a player no longer plays for the home team.

I was not even bashing him, unless you consider typing that "he had a few warts" as bashing. I even said that he was clearly the best pitcher on the O's when he was here and healthy.

Is that unreasonable?

Why does everything have to be so black or white?

Sheesh.

Relax.

I just said that some posters on OH who before thought the world of Bedard are now at least able to admit that he may have a few warts, whereas they might not have been able to in the past. I'm not referring to anyone in particular. It's just a general sense I'm getting, which I suppose can be expected once a player no longer plays for the home team.

I was not even bashing him, unless you consider typing that "he had a few warts" as bashing. I even said that he was clearly the best pitcher on the O's when he was here and healthy.

Is that unreasonable?

Why does everything have to be so black or white?

Sheesh.

Not me. I think he is Perfect ! ;)

Bedard has been scratched from his next start and there is speculation (unconfirmed) that he may have to go on the DL, according to reports.

Left-hander Erik Bedard, still bothered by a sore back, was officially scratched from Wednesday's start, and it is possible he might have to go on the disabled list for the second time this season.

"I don't think we're thinking that way yet," manager Jim Riggleman said. "With an off-day Thursday, who knows? Maybe he can come back shortly after the off day."

However, Stottlemyre said he didn't have Bedard penciled in for the Mariners' weekend series in San Diego.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2008013961_marinotes24.html?syndication=rss

This really cuts straight to the issue of whether or not intangibles matter.

Many folks think they don't. They say, just give me the most talent even if every last one of 'em are jerks or aloof or won't put in the extra work or whatever.

Bedard's clearly got talent, but he pretty clearly comes up small in the intangibles department. So for those that *do* think that what a guy brings to a clubhouse matters, then there's a legitimate strike against Bedard. I mean the guy reportedly doesn't even sit on the bench with his M's teammates on days he's not pitching. If that sort of thing counts for anything, then Bedard's contribution is a negative.

Archived