Worth of a Machado Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

25 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We are not getting close to that for a Manny rental. Look at the Brewers rotation - they will need Burnes this season.

Burnes is around the 6th or 7th option for them.  They have Davies, Chacin, Chase Anderson, Woodruff, Sutter, and Jimmy Nelson back by mid season.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Burnes is around the 6th or 7th option for them.  They have Davies, Chacin, Chase Anderson, Woodruff, Sutter, and Jimmy Nelson back by mid season.

Chacin and Suter are not very good. Jimmy Nelson will be returning off of shoulder surgery - how much stock are you going to put in him being effective? And Burnes could easily be better than Woodruff.

13 minutes ago, POR said:

We are about 20 games into the season.  I don't think the Cardinals are writing off Matt Carpenter quite yet.  The same with the Brewers with Arcia, the Indians with Kipnis and the Cubs with Russell.   Also it very unlikely that a contender can afford to trade major league ready players.  The Cardinals will need Flaherty, who looks like an above average starting pitcher for this year and Hicks is a big part of their bullpen. 

Most likely teams looking to trade for Machado will be looking for a middle of the order hitter due to injury or a player that has been disappointing after 60 plus games.  Also, the Cubs farm system is a disaster.  Rotowire has a top 400 prospect list.  Ademan is the number one Cub prospect.  San Diego has 17 prospects rated higher than Ademan. 

If those guys get better it won’t make much difference none of those guys are anywhere near what Manny gives them.  What Manny is doing right now can almost carry a team in a playoff series or two.  Manny is a top 10 player in the game none of those guys are even top 100 players.

The last guy that even remotely is close to Machado as a position player and rental was Cespedes.  Manny is still much better player then Cespadas was and he was traded for Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa.  Fulmer finished that season and came into 2016 season as the 56th best prospect.  Manny is going to get you a guy in the top 50 another guy in top 100 and another prospect or two.

4 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

It's funny how instead of a "Do you think there is any way we could retain Machado" thread as he again shows he is one of the top 3 players in the game, it is a "what is he worth as a rental" thread....over and over and over again. That is why Baltimore will always be a 2nd class city. Because we have a bunch of losers with a defeatist attitude, who have been conditioned by ownership to think doom and gloom and "we can't......" instead of at least trying to make it happen. You reap what you sow. Get ready for 1998-2012 all over again. But that is what this fanbase deserves, every single loss that piles up as a result of the dumbest decisions possible. And there will be plenty if Manny walks out that door.

But hey just imagine all the threads about the "new guys" who we waste 50m a year on to get half the WAR spread across 4 players taking up space on the roster, instead of a legendary HOF player we want to run out of town instead. We'll probably waste 300m over the next 10 years on "buy low" guys alone, or other losers who will never live up to what we have to pay them.

We are out of it for 2018. A smart franchise trades him now, and then makes an offer to Manny next Winter. Win/Win. Red Sox and Yankees do this all the time

At this point our thinking shouldn’t be, “what is Machado worth in a trade?”. It should be, “what can we get that we have more confidence in being a major league contributor than a random late 1st rd draft pick?”

We should have better scouting/more info on minor league prospects than kids we’d get at that spot.

Put a low asking price out there to generate the most interest and create a bidding war from there. Take the best offer we can get.

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Anyone mentioned the Phillies? They’re on the rise, have money and Machado could put them over the top. The Crawford kid needs more time.

The longer they stay in it the better.  I didn’t think they were ready this year but if they stay in it then yes they are another team.  They have interest in him before,  They have few guys for middle infield and some pitching prospects a year or two away.  They got a shortstop named Gamboa who intrigued me though he is little farther away.  

I think it is going to come down to like anything else, how much a team is willing to pay or give up.  

I could see Manny fetching as little as one backend top 100 guy and two players in the 100-200 range or as much as two top 100 guys (one of those being a top 50 prospect) and a third in the 100-200 range. 

One thing they shouldn't do is demand two frontline pitching prospects as part of the trade and not be willing to have a position player as the main piece.  We need infielders just as much as we need SP.  I would like to get one top 100 SP,  one top 100 SS/3B, and an A ball pitcher with some upside who might be outside the top 150.  That would be a great return IMO, but they need to take what they can get.  A supplemental draft pick at the end of the season is not enough.  

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Anyone mentioned the Phillies? They’re on the rise, have money and Machado could put them over the top. The Crawford kid needs more time.

Phillies were the best fit in the offseason IMO and it’s only become a better fit after they have started strong.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

We are out of it for 2018. A smart franchise trades him now, and then makes an offer to Manny next Winter. Win/Win. Red Sox and Yankees do this all the time

Realistically, when was the last trade involving a major player made in April or May?    I think most teams are in wait and see mode trying to see how their season is going, how their own players are doing, and what they need.    So even if we want to trade Manny I’d say no way it happens until June at the earliest.   

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Realistically, when was the last trade involving a major player made in April or May?    I think most teams are in wait and see mode trying to see how their season is going, how their own players are doing, and what they need.    So even if we want to trade Manny I’d say no way it happens until June at the earliest.   

Mike Piazza 1998. Dodgers to Marlins then to Mets. 

Archived