Worth of a Machado Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Imagine you are a team in contention but have a weak left side of the infield (maybe someone knows some teams that fit this), how much is a half season or so rental of Machado worth to you, right now? 

If MM continues on this tear through the Summer and someone is in a tough division battle, he could fetch some fetch a top prospect for sure.

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

If MM continues on this tear through the Summer and someone is in a tough division battle, he could fetch some fetch a top prospect for sure.

The question is if Brady and Dan can be trusted to get a great package back for Machado in return. I just look at Aroldis Chapman. The Yankees were able to get a top 10 prospect, a top 100 prospect, and a good reliever in Adam Warren in return for three months of Chapman. Meanwhile the Reds traded him a year earlier to the Yankees and didn't get a single top 100 prospect in return. A top front office were able to maximize their return while a poor front office did not. I would be a lot more confident if the O's had Andy MacPhail in charge of personnel decisions right now instead of DD or Brady or Buck.

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

If Manny continue with these numbers, the O’s better get TWO top prospects. 

That's what killed the "negotiations" during the offseason when they had what nine teams interested?

And that is why they might very well end up with a draft pick.

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

The question is if Brady and Dan can be trusted to get a great package back for Machado in return. I just look at Aroldis Chapman. The Yankees were able to get a top 10 prospect, a top 100 prospect, and a good reliever in Adam Warren in return for three months of Chapman. Meanwhile the Reds traded him a year earlier to the Yankees and didn't get a single top 100 prospect in return. A top front office were able to maximize their return while a poor front office did not. I would be a lot more confident if the O's had Andy MacPhail in charge of personnel decisions right now instead of DD or Brady or Buck.

A certain non-baseball matter was resolved between those two events.

Pretty sure it had an impact on Chapman's value.

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

If Manny continue with these numbers, the O’s better get TWO top prospects. 

I'd hope so, but the markets have been changing this year.  I'm not sure how much teams are willing to give up for 2 months of a player, no matter how good they are.

True, we need to do it sooner than later to maximize value.  How long do they wait though? What teams are in serious contention now that plan to stay that way?  Do they trade within the division?  If the Yankees and Red Sox aren't in on a trade, who would still offer a good package?  Someone like the Phillies, Braves, or Brewers may have the prospects, but do they commit this early to a trade?

It's funny how instead of a "Do you think there is any way we could retain Machado" thread as he again shows he is one of the top 3 players in the game, it is a "what is he worth as a rental" thread....over and over and over again. That is why Baltimore will always be a 2nd class city. Because we have a bunch of losers with a defeatist attitude, who have been conditioned by ownership to think doom and gloom and "we can't......" instead of at least trying to make it happen. You reap what you sow. Get ready for 1998-2012 all over again. But that is what this fanbase deserves, every single loss that piles up as a result of the dumbest decisions possible. And there will be plenty if Manny walks out that door.

But hey just imagine all the threads about the "new guys" who we waste 50m a year on to get half the WAR spread across 4 players taking up space on the roster, instead of a legendary HOF player we want to run out of town instead. We'll probably waste 300m over the next 10 years on "buy low" guys alone, or other losers who will never live up to what we have to pay them.

17 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I'd feel better if I were sure Angelos will even allow a trade. 

1 hour ago, TradeAngelos said:

It's funny how instead of a "Do you think there is any way we could retain Machado" thread as he again shows he is one of the top 3 players in the game, it is a "what is he worth as a rental" thread....over and over and over again. That is why Baltimore will always be a 2nd class city. Because we have a bunch of losers with a defeatist attitude, who have been conditioned by ownership to think doom and gloom and "we can't......" instead of at least trying to make it happen. You reap what you sow. Get ready for 1998-2012 all over again. But that is what this fanbase deserves, every single loss that piles up as a result of the dumbest decisions possible. And there will be plenty if Manny walks out that door.

But hey just imagine all the threads about the "new guys" who we waste 50m a year on to get half the WAR spread across 4 players taking up space on the roster, instead of a legendary HOF player we want to run out of town instead. We'll probably waste 300m over the next 10 years on "buy low" guys alone, or other losers who will never live up to what we have to pay them.

No one is suggesting trading Machado because they don't want to extend him. It's perfectly possible and reasonable to want the Orioles to extend Manny and at the same time want them to trade him for maximum value if they don't.

Archived