Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not convinced. I've watched Happ play quite a bit. I'm not sure that strikeout rate is ever coming down.

Doesn't have to come down, just has to go back to last year's levels instead of the crazy bad that is this year. My guess is he got super pull happy hitting bomb after bomb in Arizona where he destroyed spring training.

8 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I'd think it would be something like Ian Happ, Miguel Amaya(He's going to rocket up the boards),Thomas Hatch is what I see being realistic, yeah Happy is slumping at the moment and needs some ABs in AAA, but he'll figure it out. Despite his slump he's still putting up a 107RC% which means he's been 7% above average.

That'd be fine by me. I wish they'd before the deadline. Why wait? This team is cooked. 

Took a quick look at the Cubs top 20 prospects on MLB.COM along with how some of them were performing this season. Alzolay is their best prospect and looks like a stud, but he's almost major league ready.  I doubt he is even considered for a half season of Manny. 

A lot of the other pitchers in there project as relievers or back end starters. SS Ademan is far away and a bit of a project. 

Think I'd ask for Addison Russell as the center piece, RHP (prospect) Alex Lange and a throw-in.  That would be a good return. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Took a quick look at the Cubs top 20 prospects on MLB.COM along with how some of them were performing this season. Alzolay is there best prospect and looks like a stud, but he's almost major league ready.  I doubt he is even considered for a half season of Manny. 

A lot of the other pitchers in there project as relievers or back end starters. SS Ademan is far away and a bit of a project. 

Think I'd ask for Addison Russell as the center piece, RHP (prospect) Alex Lange and a throw-in.  That would be a good return. 

Addison Russell is worth way more than Alzolay.

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Manny, Jones, Davis for Hayward and Russell and a prospect.

Dreaming.  If they did just Manny and Davis for Russell and Hayward that would be a miracle worth celebrating.  

Russel, Alzolay, Hatch and Bote.

Russel has averaged 3.5 war in each of his first three seasons.  He is still young and solid player.

Alzolay is their top prospect and a nice piece for rotation or late inning reliever.

Hatch nice young starter probably equal to David Hess

David Bote he doesn’t get the recognition because he doesn’t have anything that pops out.  However he is a super utility guy that hits well and gets on base a lot.  He could start right now for us at third base.  Russel at SS and have a nice left side of the infield.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Addison Russell is worth way more than Alzolay.

Wouldn't Manny be replacing Russell?  

I just figure if the Cubs are looking to trade for Manny that Russell would have to be part of the deal.  They have Javier Baez at 2B and he's having an All-Star season.  

I'm not going to argue that Alzolay has more value than Russell, but I don't see us getting both and I don't see how Russell isn't part of the deal.  

Maybe it's Russell and a C prospect.  I'd take that too. 

23 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not convinced. I've watched Happ play quite a bit. I'm not sure that strikeout rate is ever coming down.

My concern too.  Happ could easily be another Chris Davis/Mark Reynolds guy.  We've had enough of that.

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Wouldn't Manny be replacing Russell?  

I just figure if the Cubs are looking to trade for Manny that Russell would have to be part of the deal.  They have Javier Baez at 2B and he's having an All-Star season.  

I'm not going to argue that Alzolay has more value than Russell, but I don't see us getting both and I don't see how Russell isn't part of the deal.  

Maybe it's Russell and a C prospect.  I'd take that too. 

Russell and a low prospect really aren't enough.  I'm concerned that Russell doesn't seem to be getting better at hitting, though I suppose he could still "figure it out" in the next 2 years.  Russell plus a B guy or two, and I'd take that.

9 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Russell and a low prospect really aren't enough.  I'm concerned that Russell doesn't seem to be getting better at hitting, though I suppose he could still "figure it out" in the next 2 years.  Russell plus a B guy or two, and I'd take that.

Maybe we can throw in Trumbo

The Cubs could offer deal around Russel and Mets deal around rosario and Phillies around Crawford.

Which guy would you want as the center piece in a deal for Manny.  All three were highly regarded but have had issues with reaching potential at major leagues.  Russel little better success but less control.  

Archived