Random Thought Thread

Moose Milligan

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not Orioles related but...color commentary guys on broadcasts with no ties to the team has always struck me as being weird.

I just turned on the Angels/A's game and Mark Gubicza is doing the color commentary for the Angels broadcast team.  I remember him from his days as a Kansas City Royal.  Looked up his stats, he finished his career in Anaheim in 1997 with two games pitched and a 25.07 ERA.  So he's got the smallest of ties to the team but I'm pretty sure most everyone remembers him from his days in KC.

Other ones that come to mind:  when the Orioles had Buck Martinez doing the color commentary for 5 or 6 years, despite having no tie to this franchise. 

Ken Singleton, Yankees broadcasts.  No ties there whatsoever.  

Hawk Harrelson, while not a color commentator, is a former player and has no ties to the White Sox from his playing days.  Go figure, the biggest homer behind the mic also has no ties to the team he calls games for/roots for.

Here's a tie:

:)

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31631004/ranking-mlb-city-connect-uniforms

Nike has worked with each MLB team to craft a uniform that expresses the personality and communities of the team's home city. Last year saw the launch of seven City Connect uniforms: for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers, Miami Marlins and San Francisco Giants. The unveilings have continued this season with the Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals and Colorado Rockies so far, and they'll be followed by the Los Angeles Angels on June 11, the Milwaukee Brewers on June 24 and the San Diego Padres on July 8.

So this means, as unpopular as the Orioles are...that there's a City Connect jersey out there, ready to be released for the Orioles.

I'm wondering it's inspired by Old Bay, The Wire, Edgar Allen Poe, FELLS POINT HON!!! or something else.  

Whatever it is, you can bet that Nike didn't assign their top design team to the Orioles jersey.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So this means, as unpopular as the Orioles are...that there's a City Connect jersey out there, ready to be released for the Orioles.

I'm wondering it's inspired by Old Bay, The Wire, Edgar Allen Poe, FELLS POINT HON!!! or something else.  

Whatever it is, you can bet that Nike didn't assign their top design team to the Orioles jersey.

Looks like the Orioles don't even get a City Connect jersey this season. It's only a select number of franchises apparently. 

MLB, Nike Announce the Seven Teams Getting New City Connect Uniforms in 2022

For the 2022 season, seven new teams are joining the seven already on board from last season. These seven new clubs are the Colorado Rockies, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels, Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, and Washington Nationals. These seven join the Arizona Diamondbacks, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers, Miami Marlins, and San Francisco Giants. They kicked off the inaugural campaign a year ago.

While uniform unveiling dates for the seven new City Connect clubs weren’t released, we did get a list of when each of these teams will wear their new look in a game for the first time. The Washington Nationals started things off by unveiling their uniform on March 29and playing their first on April 9, the Astros followed on April 10th, ten days ahead of its April 20debut, Kansas City continues things on April 30, the Rockies on June 4, the Angels on June 11, Milwaukee on June 24, and finally the San Diego Padres on July 8.

mlb-city-connect-uniforms-nike-giants-as

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Aw man, you mean we have to wait until 2023 or maybe even 2024 to get cool new jerseys??  :( 

If Rutschman, Rodriguez and Hall become stars maybe that will get Nike's attention and they'll make an Orioles City Connect jersey. I'm betting it will be something based off the Maryland state flag colors. 

Like an MLB version of the those Maryland Terps football jerseys that change with each  game. I don't know how to feel about this. 

new-unis-split.jpg

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Since Baltimore has often been one of the murder capitals, how about it featuring a chalk outline?