Machado Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Eh, I'd say that trade was lackluster. Fair at best. 

I do wish they would have traded Britton prior to the start of last season, regardless.

I really agree. And of course blessed with hindsight that not only would Scott Boras hang us with a rotting pile of first baseman, but make our star pitcher do drills on wet grass. But I digress. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It is not as if 2017 Britton was 2016 Britton.

Absolutely not. But he was certainly more along the lines of 2015 Britton with the *potential* after his injury stint to return to similar 2017 numbers. Or at least that's what (hopefully) was peddled to interested teams.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is not as if 2017 Britton was 2016 Britton.

Jim Johnson needed to be traded after his first 50 save season. Chris Davis after his first HR championship. Manny before his second knee. Bud Norris before le deluge. 

But the game is played to grab that brass ring. Not to fertilize the fields. 

Absolutely not. But he was certainly more along the lines of 2015 Britton with the *potential* after his injury stint to return to similar 2017 numbers. Or at least that's what (hopefully) was peddled to interested teams.

I would have had no problem accepting the reported offer.

And you know that isn't me using hindsight.

Just now, weams said:

Jim Johnson needed to be traded after his first 50 save season. Chris Davis after his first HR championship. Manny before his second knee. Bud Norris before le deluge. 

Manny needed to be extended after the first knee.

I would have been fine with getting the pick for Davis.

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think he's traded. If the rumours are true that Angelos put the kibosh on a deal because Duquette got a lackluster offer...I'd imagine it was because Angelos thought this year the O's could still contend. However, they're not contending and there's really no reason to hold on to him...and Angelos does have a history of letting his GMs in a rebuilding year trade veteran/established pieces. But the question is whether Angelos trusts Duquette to make solid trades like he trusted MacPhail...who is still one of the best negotiators the O's have ever had. Especially compared to Duquette.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't agree.

I think Angelos has to win.  I don't think a fair deal works for him.

I think they got a fair deal for Britton last year.  Fair isn't good enough.

That's my concern.

Angelos has no idea what a Machado rental is worth. And when a team offers prospects for Manny, he'll have no clue what those prospects are worth. What he will know is that he can get those prospects for Manny just by saying yes. So he must be able to get more if he says no and waits for a better offer.

I think that's what happened with Britton last year, and it may happen again with Manny this year and with Schoop next year. The man has virtually paralyzed the organization, and he may continue to do so.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Your cynicism and sarcasm aside, I think it's very fair to say that the O's hold on to their top players until well over their prime and either sign them to extensions or get nothing/little in return.

There are certainly better ways to do these things.

Your cynicism and sarcasm aside, I think it's very fair to say that the O's hold on to their top players until well over their prime and either sign them to extensions or get nothing/little in return.

There are certainly better ways to do these things.

I agree again. And the gods will not save us. So 2014 was our year. And Chris Davis got popped. 

At the time and even now...Colin Moran for Zach Britton is such a meh trade. Especially considering this:

"Moran was one of the medical issues. He suffered a concussion and facial fracture after fouling a ball off his face on July 22 and remains on the DL."

I mean, damaged goods and a "prospect" who really has questionable defensive skills and a bat that is more middle of the road than anything. 

If that's fair for Britton, I'd continue to question Duquette's poor trading track record.

Archived