Is it just me or is there almost nobody on the team you root for/actually like?

amdcpus

Liked Bleier but he got injured. Root for Gentry, Britton and Castro but that's about it. Everyone else has been such a disappointment or has major attitude/work ethic problems such as Rasmus/Davis/Wright/Machado/Cobb.  Hell half the players refused to even show up to Fanfest. Just not a very likeable team IMO.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only position player I root for is Adam Jones now that Sisco is gone.  Manny is terrible defender at Short Stop and that and him and Schoop skipping fan fest I see no reason to root for him other than he could bring back more in trade.  Really I think the team should have traded them the day after Fanfest.  We would probably be in much better shape right now. 

I like a lot of our players.

With the team so bad, it's easier to step back and not care about certain players' results. I'm pretty unattached to the older stopgap guys (Valencia, Rasmus, Cashner...), the AAAA-type guys that are only here because we have bad depth (most of this year's terrible utility infield rotation), and the Davis/Trumbo pair who I used to enjoy but now just provide way more frustration than fun. 

But I enjoy rooting for Machado, Schoop, Jones, Mancini, Caleb, Beckham and Sisco when they're here, Gausman, Bundy, Hess,  and basically the whole bullpen except for Wright. 

I would definitely be tuning in with more interest if Stewart and Mullins were in the lineup. 

Mostly, it’s just you.    Losing sucks and when the team is losing a lot some fans start pinning bad character traits on the players as an explanation.    But that’s your right as a fan, to like or dislike whoever you please.   

I don’t dislike the players.   I dislike losing and poor play.    Which I’m seeing a lot.    

This whole year has been so bad that its hard to get excited about much.   But I dont resent any of the players or not root for them.  Its hard to root for any player tho in any significant way with the way things have gone so far.  Knowing Manny will be gone how can u get excited about anything Manny?   And the Fanfest stuff with him and Schoop makes it hard to respect those guys.

Im sure Im in the minority here, and maybe the only one, but Im rooting for Chris Davis.  Id love to see him turn it around.   Id like to see Trumbo do well.  But other than that we've got Bundy and then a whole lotta nothing to get excited about.

Yea I think it's important to be able to separate a man from his work.  A lot of these guys work is absolutely terrible this year, like really terrible, but I know nothing about their personal lives, and everything I know about their personalities, leads me to believe that they are good people.  I imagine the struggles are absolutely eating them up inside.

As for FanFest, sure, Schoop skipping last minute was a bit immature.  I personally don't care about Fanfest though so that doesn't really affect me, but I can understand it leaving a sour taste in some fans mouths if they really loved him and were looking forward to maybe meeting him for months ahead of time.  But I'm sure John has done plenty of other great things for the fans and the community that offset that one blip. 

I like watching the young guys play. I like Adams personality and Machado is a fun player to watch an always will be no matter what team he's on. There are some players that I can't stand watching...Wright and Davis mostly but even when things are going well Trumbo is extremely unentertaining to watch. 

Its mostly hard to watch them lose. 

I like almost all of them: the guys who were part of winning teams plus the young guys not named Mike Wright. I like Bleier. And I've always liked Valencia. That leaves just a few veterans that I'd rather not see on the team -- Rasmus, Gentry, Cobb, Peterson; I'm kind of neutral about them. I've always had a fondness for that rare breed of Fast Oriole, going back to Bob Saverine and Paul Blair, so I enjoy seeing Peterson and Gentry on the bases. 

I don't really care for that big first baseman who used to hit a lot of HRs but lately seems to strike out most of the time. I haven't seen him around recently, and I'm blanking on his name right now.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Mancini, Caleb, Schoop, Bundy.  That's about it for me other than AJ who I consider in a class by himself.

Interesting thread.  I really hadn't realized how unengaging this team is until now.

It happened fast. I really miss the "feel" of this team a couple of years ago...

Archived