Adam Loewen leaves with possible injury?

Baltimore_Bob

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Much more likely is they snatch him up to pitch out of the pen. He's exactly the type of pickup I'd hope the O's would make if the situation presented itself and Loewen was with another organization. Extrodinarily cheap price for a guy who if he can get healthy is extremly talented. It's an no brainer, no risk, high reward move.

If Loewen decides his pitching career is over and focuses on hitting I doubt he gets picked up. If he still prefers to pitch or doesn't completely rule out pitching even if the organization pushes him to become a hitter then yeah he probably gets claimed.

I still think it's an extreme longshot this happens. For one, outside of being told he shouldn't pitch again or has no chance of being 100% healthy and pain free, Adam has to believe his best shot at a major league career is still on the mound. Secondly, even if it is decided his pitching career is over it would take a lot of dedication and desire to choose to go back to the minors and start completely over after living the big league lifestyle. He has made some decent coin already and he could retire and undoubtedly find another venture that would pay him more than as a minor league ball player.

If Loewen couldn't pitch anymore, I wouldn't be opposed to handing him a bat. One theme in this thread that keeps replaying itself over and over is, that Ankiel is a once in a generation anomaly. Does anyone actually know how many pitchers were swapped to hitters? I don't have the answer, but I would guess its not that often and if something just doesn't happen that often then the sample size of success and failure would be too small to draw the conclusion that its reserved for those of Ruthian ability.

One theme in this thread that keeps replaying itself over and over is, that Ankiel is a once in a generation anomaly.

Also, Ankiel had already proven that he could hit major league pitching. When he started, he was an excellent hitter.

If Loewen can't shake it as a pitcher I seriously doubt he'll be in the league in 2 years. If he wants to try a different role its going to be something that will take a tremendous amount of motivation/effort on his part. I seriously doubt it will happen but if it does, it will be Loewen pushing for the move rather than Orioles management.

Rink Ankiel had a medicine cabinet full of HGH and Sus-250 to get him to where he is as a hitter. Loewen doesn't have that luxury in the post-Barry-Bonds era.

I think the odds of him finally getting healthy are stronger than the odds of him making it as an outfielder.

I'm not ready to give up on the chance of him getting and staying healthy, so I don't switch him to the outfield yet.

Does anyone else think that we should take a look at him with a bat. He swung the bat well w/ good power before we had him focus directly on pitching. The motion in hitting vs. pitching is different. This may allow him to play at a high level w/ no discomfort. I have no medical proof to this... it's just a thought, since he's talented enough, as an athelete, to likely make this transition. Knowing how much he enjoys interleague play when he can bat he would likely embrace this challenge. He's probably done pitching this year. Assuming that to be true and that he doesn't need surgery again, he should be able to play winterball to find his hitting stroke by spring training or at least some positive progression to build from.

Thoughts?

Archived