Adam Loewen leaves with possible injury?

Baltimore_Bob

I'll say it again. If Loewen can't stay healthy as a pitcher what's the harm in trying him out as a hitter/fielder???

Because the odds aren't great he can become a valuable major league hitter. I guess if the team comes to the conclusion that there is absolutely no chance for him to pitch and stay healthy (which I believe you're implying) then sure, I guess go for it, but they would have to be really sure of themselves before they did something that drastic IMO.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because the odds aren't great he can become a valuable major league hitter. I guess if the team comes to the conclusion that there is absolutely no chance for him to pitch and stay healthy (which I believe you're implying) then sure, I guess go for it, but they would have to be really sure of themselves before they did something that drastic IMO.

Bingo...This is everything in nutshell right there.

I don't think anyone is saying that if Loewen is healthy to make him a hitter anyway.

This is all about(at least for me) the idea that Loewen may just not be able to pitch ever again without having a lot of pain or injuries.

To be honest I don't think the possibility even exists to try to turn him into a hitter. If they do that I believe he can only stay in the minors for a short while on the rehab technicality before he'd have to be brought up to Baltimore. If we have to pass him through waivers I think there is little doubt that there will be teams lined up to claim him to pitch.

Ahh yes, I am supposed to be intimidated by the ambulance chaser...OOOO, im really terrified...BTW, way to try and divert the coversation away from baseball...That's actually a smart move on your part.

As for his development as a hitter...I have addressed that it would be a long shot but if he can't pitch any longer, I would rather see him get a shot at hitting then just releasing him or whatever.

Yes. I've been utterly illogical in the above posts. And shown that I have no understanding of value, risk, reward, or baseball history. I completely agree that IF Loewen can never throw another pitch then giving him a shot with the bat is a fine option. But you need to be sure about this. And I'm not sure what point you're sure about that. Leiter is a great comp.

As for the insult to my profession, I mean...okay. Yes, I'm a lawyer. Apparently we're all "ambulance chasers." Of course, I also taught at the university level. And was a published writer. And worked as a high-end wine broker. But you know all this already (or are probably more than willing to bluff and fake your way through it.)

I'll let you know when I start advertising my services here at the OH. Then we'll talk. Do you still do that, or did someone thankfully put an end to it?

Yes. I've been utterly illogical in the above posts. And shown that I have no understanding of value, risk, reward, or baseball history.

As for the insult to my profession, I mean...okay. Yes, I'm a lawyer. Apparently we're all "ambulance chasers." Of course, I also taught at the university level. And was a published writer. And worked as a high-end wine broker.

I'll let you know when I start advertising my services here at the OH. Then we'll talk. Do you still do that, or did someone thankfully put an end to it?

No need to advertise it...Everyone on here knows about it and my reputation with those people speaks for itself.

Again, you were the one who wanted to make it personal so stop crying that i did the same and stay on topic.

Agreed. And the wildcard is time. As in, time will solve a lot of injuries, so when do you pull the trigger on this? It would be foolish to jump the gun.

Bingo...This is everything in nutshell right there.

I don't think anyone is saying that if Loewen is healthy to make him a hitter anyway.

This is all about(at least for me) the idea that Loewen may just not be able to pitch ever again without having a lot of pain or injuries.

How do you come to this conclusion, though? There's no way to say definitively, short of a Dave Dravecky type injury, that a guy is completely done. I'd wager that many many more pitchers came back from several major arm injuries to pitch again than there are pitchers who converted to servicable hitters several years into their career...

No need to advertise it...Everyone on here knows about it and my reputation with those people speaks for itself.

Again, you were the one who wanted to make it personal so stop crying that i did the same and stay on topic.

How did I make it personal until you - on three occasions - challenged my reading comprehension and made reference to things going over my head? Obliquely or otherwise, the point was personal. Do these not seem personal to you?

Regardless - apologies to all for the hijacking.

How do you come to this conclusion, though? There's no way to say definitively, short of a Dave Dravecky type injury, that a guy is completely done. I'd wager that many many more pitchers came back from several major arm injuries to pitch again than there are pitchers who converted to servicable hitters several years into their career...

That's the $64,000 question. That is why you have to trust the team on this one.

In the end, the decision won't be the team's. It will be Loewen's. See above post.

You make a good point but we also don't know what Adam is going through...We don't know if he wants to go through rehab again...We don't know if he wants to risk the pain anymore.

Nonetheless, it is a good question to raise.

Yes. I've been utterly illogical in the above posts. And shown that I have no understanding of value, risk, reward, or baseball history. I completely agree that IF Loewen can never throw another pitch then giving him a shot with the bat is a fine option. But you need to be sure about this. And I'm not sure what point you're sure about that. Leiter is a great comp.

As for the insult to my profession, I mean...okay. Yes, I'm a lawyer. Apparently we're all "ambulance chasers." Of course, I also taught at the university level. And was a published writer. And worked as a high-end wine broker. But you know all this already (or are probably more than willing to bluff and fake your way through it.)

Would rep you if I could sir.:laughlol:

If the O's were going to take a shot at him being a hitter they could: DL him, then use his 30 day rehab as a hitter, then by the time get gets up here it'll be 9/1 and we're probably out of the race. We could then play him everyday for the last month. He could then do winter ball and we could see where he is at the end of spring training.

I've seen Crowley quoted as saying the dude is really good. I wouldn't have a problem with giving him a shot if he just can't stay healthy as a pitcher.

If the O's were going to take a shot at him being a hitter they could: DL him, then use his 30 day rehab as a hitter, then by the time get gets up here it'll be 9/1 and we're probably out of the race. We could then play him everyday for the last month. He could then do winter ball and we could see where he is at the end of spring training.

I've seen Crowley quoted as saying the dude is really good. I wouldn't have a problem with giving him a shot if he just can't stay healthy as a pitcher.

So you're saying even though the guy hasn't had over lets say 30 ab's against ML pitching to throw him to the wolves and see how he does?

Actually not too bad an idea. But I doubt that a decision about his future is made that early.

Archived