Define this term

Sports Guy

Promoting a minor league prospect based on reputation, statistics or team need, rather than developmental progress.

Reputation -- hype, expectations tied to draft slot, "stuff", etc.

Statistics -- not being honest with contributing factors to positive statistical data or thoroughly/effectively analyzing said data (league, stadium, sample-size, splits, etc.)

Team Need -- hole at an above level, or desire to move a prospect closer to the ML team in the hopes of quickening a solution to a hole at the ML level

Developmental Progress -- Mechanics, mental approach, understanding of the game as played at the player's current level, maturity, idea of what the player will look like in 3-years

See, this is what I am talking about....Liz has clearly not been rushed.

I agree, I dont think Liz was rushed. Just because someone isnt blowing the competition out of the water doesnt mean they were rushed. I think many believe that Liz is a front of the rotation starter because of his "stuff", but like others here I think hes destined for the Pen.

Stotle's post sum's it up nicely, IMO.

Penn and Fiorentino were definitely rushed.

Agree that guys like Liz and Olson weren't rushed. Just because you struggle in your first MLB experience doesn't necessarily mean you need to spend more time in the minors or were rushed to the majors.

Agree that guys like Liz and Olson weren't rushed. Just because you struggle in your first MLB experience doesn't necessarily mean you need to spend more time in the minors or were rushed to the majors.

I prefer to think that Fiorentino was more misplaced than rushed. Rushed assumes that one day you'll likely deserve a spot at the next level. I don't believe Fio ever had that legitimate capability.

Totally agree. I think the mental aspect has more to do in determining if a player was rushed. Olson and Johnson weren't ready, but they weren't rushed. They used the time as a learning experience, and came back stronger. Penn just seemed to immature and was probably rushed.

I prefer to think that Fiorentino was more misplaced than rushed. Rushed assumes that one day you'll likely deserve a spot at the next level. I don't believe Fio ever had that legitimate capability.

I'm calling shenanigans on that. Fiorentino was a third round draft choice, had hit well at every level he'd been at... and suddenly got called to the bigs right out of High A ball.

I'm convinced his failure is one of the reasons they've been so patient with Reimold.

Archived