Machado to the Dodgers, 5-1 deal

TonySoprano

17 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

Don't want to post yet another Manny thread/poll, but I suspect some extra thanks might be owed Manny (for people who're into that).

It's fair to argue that he should have been traded last winter, but he was also coming off a season in which he hit .259/.310/.471. This year he put himself on pace for career highs in almost every offensive category. 

How much better do people think a trade offer would have been last winter? Probably better, sure. But how much? This deal looks pretty good to me. Possibly great, all things considered.

I just don't see it being much better. I've seen it reported that the Cardinals were the closest, and their offer was built around Jedd Gyorko and two young pitchers. Maybe Flaherty was one of them? I know we liked Hicks.

Anyway, Manny had a .730ish OPS at the deadline last year, was red hot for a while, then bad in September. Hard to tell what he might've brought in December, but I don't think it would have been appreciably better than what we got today.

Edited by Chito

5 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I like this trade. Diaz is at least Jones or Puig 2.0 but without the headcase that puig was, Pop looks like a total stud muffin this year, and could be a big BP peice in the future. Kramer ( I wish his first name was Cosmo) looks like a stud. Bannon could be our next 3Bman. OH, we just got a big shot in the arm for the rebuild. 

ehhhh... his floor is worse than Jones or Puig.  I'd cay his ceiling is Puig with a worse arm, better health and less headaches.  In other words, an All Star RF.

4 minutes ago, billw76 said:

Personally I don't think it's odd they got a hitter as the main piece.

Guys like Luke and Tony could give a much better opinion than I can, but I think our farm lacks high end hitting prospects after Mountcastle.

It was also a case of getting the best talent they could get. And I'm with you - we aren't flush with bats in this system so much as we're enamored with the tiny handful of guys we've got.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Callis said he was "underwhelmed" and added the Orioles likely would've gotten a better haul last Winter.

I heard him. We all know he gets more last winter. 

I wish we would have got back one more bigger piece but you can always say that. 

2 minutes ago, Chito said:

I just don't see it being much better. I've seen it reported that the Cardinals were the closest, and their offer was built around Jedd Gyrko and two young pitchers. Maybe Flaherty was one of them?

Anyway, Manny had a .730ish OPS at the deadline last year, was red hot for a while, then bad in September. Hard to tell what he might've brought in December, but I don't think it would have been appreciably better than what we got today.

I agree completely. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Is anyone denying that they'd have gotten a better haul if they traded him with a full-season left? They thought they were good enough to go for it. Obviously not the right call, but it had been made and there was no going back to last winter. If that's the best analysis he's got, it's just silly.

Depends how high they are on Diaz.  The dodgers were not looking for shortstop at time.Rankings are just that some teams are much higher on certain guys.