Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

So the ownership told DD to trade away the 750k because they didn’t want to spend it.  They could have just kept it and at the end say that they were unable to sign anyone they thought was worth using it on.  It is not like if you have it you have to spend it.  The traded for the right to spend it if they wanted not that they had too.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The problem is most of the high ceiling 16 year olds were gone day 1.

I'm worried they are going to spend just to spend.

Oof, ignore me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

(to be fair, this is the first season ever where the international signing period has been relevant to me)

Marlins supposedly offered Gastón over $2mm before failed drug test.  If Orioles are looking in that area, 5ere are still a fair amount of teams that still have that amount of international money.  

Gaston is probably looking to leverage the fact that the Orioles lost out and demanding more than $2mm.  Orioles are in a sticky situation.  May have to overpay to save face.  

7 hours ago, bpilktree said:

So the ownership told DD to trade away the 750k because they didn’t want to spend it.  

Nobody has reported this, have they?   So far as I know, it’s just unsupported speculation on this site by a few people.

$5M total for the Mesa brothers.  The Orioles and Marlins have more than that in their international pools.  This goes to show that it wasn't an issue of Baltimore not having enough money, and the Zoellner trade made zero difference in all of this. 
They preferred Miami.  Period.

Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald, citing sources, reports that Victor Victor will receive a bonus exceeding $4 million. His younger brother is expected to receive “close to $1 million,” per a source.

An unknown amount was submitted by the Orioles for Victor Victor at the deadline date.

The Orioles began the month with the most international signing bonus money at approximately $6.5 million, but the Marlins inched past them by consummating three trades.

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/orioles-wont-sign-the-mesa-brothers.html

10 hours ago, sevastras said:

That would suck and they would get a supplemental pick the following season(end of first round). Chances of it happening, 3%...

Unless they've recently changed the rule, teams that fail to sign their draft picks within the first three rounds receive compensation choices in the following Draft, which will fall immediately after the pick they failed to land. So, we would receive the second overall pick in the 2020 Draft were we unable to agree to terms with our #1 next year.

Archived