Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah probably not. But they are probably familiar with the Brewers system after the Manny discussions 

True.  I don't know why they would want Archer over Gausman though.  Similar careers but Gausman has been the last few years.  

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Gausman is not in Archer's class, but may be able to extract real good value if the bidding is as heavy as it sounds for Archer.

I'm no scout, but I would take Gausman over Archer any day of the week.   And I'm not the biggest Gausman fan.

Just a matter of somebody getting desperate and meeting what I'm sure is a very high asking price for Gausman at this point. Otherwise they'll wait until the offseason. Hope he doesn't get hurt.

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Gausman is not in Archer's class, but may be able to extract real good value if the bidding is as heavy as it sounds for Archer.

How is Gausman not in Archer's class? 

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I dont think Gausman has preformed up to the level that he is able to.

Not trying to play the blame game, but I guess its either coaching fault, or players fault, or maybe all the above.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I'm no scout, but I would take Gausman over Archer any day of the week.   And I'm not the biggest Gausman fan.

I don't agree with you (I'd still take Archer), but to say that Gausman isn't in his class doesn't seems like a gross exaggeration. When he's on, Archer might pile up a few more strikeouts, but they're both 4.00+ whip guys. Gausman is two years younger too. 

1 minute ago, vab said:

Just a matter of somebody getting desperate and meeting what I'm sure is a very high asking price for Gausman at this point. Otherwise they'll wait until the offseason. Hope he doesn't get hurt.

And then when they don't get an offer they like in the offseason they can say "we can get more at the deadline".  ?

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Just said I would rather have Gausman on Twitter given he is in the AL East and we aren’t exactly known for developing starting pitching. I think Archer is def better but if I were trading for a pitcher. I would def take KG.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And then when they don't get an offer they like in the offseason they can say "we can get more at the deadline".  ?

I know you're not suggesting that we accept less than what the team believes is true value just to make a trade now and not in the off season.

Just now, NCRaven said:

I know you're not suggesting that we accept less than what the team believes is true value just to make a trade now and not in the off season.

No, I am suggesting that the offers will only go down as the time the player is under control diminishes. 

2 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

Gausman is better than Archer.  

That would only matter if the asking price for both was similar. The Orioles I'm sure are asking for more because Gausman still has two years before free agency. Now maybe whoever misses out on Archer will meet the price for Gausman out of desperation. That's the only question now.

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Just said I would rather have Gausman on Twitter given he is in the AL East and we aren’t exactly known for developing starting pitching. I think Archer is def better but if I were trading for a pitcher. I would def take KG.

Archer is also in the AL East.   I think it’s reasonably close between them but Archer is slightly better and his contractual situation is better (he’s locked up for 3 more years but the latter two are options so there’s maximum flexibility).   

Just now, vab said:

That would only matter if the asking price for both was similar. The Orioles I'm sure are asking for more because Gausman still has two years before free agency. Now maybe whoever misses out on Archer will meet the price for Gausman out of desperation. That's the only question now.

Archer is under team control until 2021.

Archived