Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

19 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's listed at 6'3" 230. I bet there are a lot of posters on here pushing 230 who aren't even 6 foot tall. I doubt he's morbidly obese like people are implying.

6'2 and 220 but I am in mid 50s and have extra large frame.  

1 hour ago, Rojo13 said:

3-4 WAR per year? How do you come up with that? He was 2.1 in 2014, 1.5 in 2015, 3.0 in 2016, 2.5 in 2017 and 1.3 this year (so that project out to 2.0). So for the last 5 years, he's averaged 2.08 WAR.

Have you ever watched Gausman pitch? He still can't consistently throw a fastball away to a right handed batter.

He's going to be pitching in the National League. And I'm using BBRef WAR.  In 2016 he put up 4.1. 2017 he struggled and put up a 2.0. He already has 2.3 this year...so very possible he ends up netting a total of 3. I don't think 3-4 WAR is unreasonable with change of scenery and being in the NL.

15 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I tried to engage on a couple of threads, but it's the same old same old. Some are so attached to their stars of old, even though the O's are on pace to having the worst record since early in the last century with those same players (and then get nothing for them when they walk). Again, thankful for this place. We don't all agree, but there seems to be some thoughtful backup to a lot of what we post here. 

Gausman had over two years of control left.   It was just a salary decision. 

FWIW to people who measure the quality of trades based on organizational rankings, today we added 3 top 15 prospects based on MLB.com rankings.

Added another top 30 in cumberland.

Overall, we added 10 new top 30 prospects.

Then again, I urge everyone to not judge trades based on lists.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I tried to engage on a couple of threads, but it's the same old same old. Some are so attached to their stars of old, even though the O's are on pace to having the worst record since early in the last century with those same players (and then get nothing for them when they walk). Again, thankful for this place. We don't all agree, but there seems to be some thoughtful backup to a lot of what we post here. 

I appreciate every one of you. It makes my time here a pleasure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:
If someone could post this...

ORIOLES ACQUIRE:

Luis Ortiz, RHP

Ortiz entered the season as the Brewers’ No. 6 prospect and moved up to No. 4 in the midseason update as he repeats Double-A. He has been bothered by injuries over the last two years, ever since the Brewers acquired the big righty as a part of the 2016 deal that sent Jonathan Lucroy to the Rangers. Listed at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, Ortiz has a powerful fastball that he’ll run up to the mid-90s. He has always pitched with solid control and repeats his delivery well but will need to refine his offspeed stuff to continue his progression and realize his potential as a middle-of-the-rotation starter.

Jean Carmona, INF

The Brewers signed Carmona out of the Dominican Republic in 2016 and he reached the Arizona League the next year during his professional debut. He’s playing this season as an 18-year-old in the Rookie-level Pioneer League, where he’s hitting .239/.298/.406. He has mostly played shortstop since signing but has also gotten work at both second and third base. His hands and above-average arm strength give him a chance to stay at shortstop. Carmona is a switch hitter and has some bat speed that may portend some power as he grows into his 6-foot-1 frame.

Jonathan Villar, INF

Villar has spent the last three seasons with the Brewers since they acquired him in November 2015 from the Astros. He led baseball with 62 stolen bases the following season but has not been as productive over the last two years. He this year is hitting .261/.315/.377 and has been on the disabled list with a thumb injury for the last two weeks. Villar offers plenty of versatility, having appeared at five different positions during his big league career. He won’t hit free agency until after the 2020 season.

• Upvote 1

So here's what really disappoints me about all of this.

We traded Machado, Britton, Gausman, Schoop (and to a lesser extent O'Day and Brach) and we didn't net a single prospect that prior to the start of the season ranked inside any of those clubs' top 6. Am I forgetting? 

(Maybe my wording sucked: within the top 5?)

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

We traded Machado, Britton, Gausman, Schoop (and to a lesser extent O'Day and Brach) and we didn't net a single prospect that prior to the start of the season ranked in any of those clubs' top 7. Am I forgetting? 

Ortiz was was the Brewers 6 at the start of the year and 4 midseason.

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

We traded Machado, Britton, Gausman, Schoop (and to a lesser extent O'Day and Brach) and we didn't net a single prospect that prior to the start of the season ranked inside any of those clubs' top 6. Am I forgetting? 

(Maybe my wording sucked: within the top 5?)

Do preseason rankings matter all that much?

Not that we got a talent of Acuna's caliber, but he was a fringe top 100 guy pre 2017. By midseason, he was a top 15 guy. Not really a good way of evaluating trades.

Just now, Thato'sfan said:

Do preseason rankings matter all that much?

Not that we got a talent of Acuna's caliber, but he was a fringe top 100 guy pre 2017. By midseason, he was a top 15 guy. Not really a good way of evaluating trades.

Well, they certainly matter at least a bit. Especially when its clear that we hydrated the farm system, but really didn't get any Acuna type players is what I'm trying to say.

36 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's listed at 6'3" 230. I bet there are a lot of posters on here pushing 230 who aren't even 6 foot tall. I doubt he's morbidly obese like people are implying.

If you'd take the time to look at a picture of him, you'd understand why I called him fat - rather than giving my analysis of the trade a downvote.  Granted, there have been some effective overweight pitchers in the majors throughout history, but being fat is a negative - it negatively effects his ability to do his job, and calling him fat is simply being honest.