Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its hard to see how the O's will contend by 2020 or 2021.   Their best pitching prospects are  listed on the O's website as arriving in the major in 2021 and 2022.   Its probably takes them a year or two tobe TOR starters.  The means 2023 is a better date for contention.

I agree that it will be a while before we contend again. Making the playoffs was fun while it lasted, but even then I didn't know many people that thought we were legit contenders to win the World Series. I think we should have tried trading a lot of our assets a couple years ago.

I like some of our pitching prospects a lot, so it's fine that they are a few years away. I am worried that we lose a lot of fans in the next few years by having no "star" power for the casual fan, but I think slashing payroll as much as we can is benefical in the long run. Watching a few of the younger guys turn out to be solid MLB contributers would make it worth it though!

If Gausman ends up performing much better for Atlanta than he did for us (which will take all next year to determine), I will consider it a big black mark on our coaching staff, and by extension, Buck.    It won’t really make me see the trade any differently, but it will still tick me off.

We gave up a cost controlled asset at a position of need for a bag of balls.  Was he great?  No, but he was young, cheap, serviceable, and not standing in the way of any prospect.

I'm not mad because it gave me another reason to become a Braves fan.  I'll likely not go to any more games or really follow this team at all until the black mark that is the Angelos clan sells the team.  Why waste my money and mental capital on supporting one of, if not the, worst run organizations in professional baseball?  Seems inane to me.

9 hours ago, O-The-Memories said:

Saying we should have gotten more for Gausman is like the guy on Ebay who prices everything too high and never sells anything. Someone is worth what you can get for them. Gausman, like Bundy and many others before him, saw his velocity drop and K rate decrease along with an increase in FIP. That shows a mediocre pitcher in the long term. 

I thought we could have gotten more as well, but the market said otherwise I suppose. We love selling too late which hurts the most. Gausman, Britton, Bundy, Machado, and Schoop were not traded at close to peak value.

Again, there was no one pointing a gun to our head forcing us to trade him.  He isn't a pending free agent.  If a quality offer isn't there, DON'T MAKE THE DEAL.  

The C prospects we got back will be fringe major leaguers at best.  Our hopes for any positive return come  from a high risk prospect in low A ball.  So our chances of completely striking out on this deal are very high.  This looks like a salary dump to me.  It's hard for me to believe we couldn't have gotten a better package from the Braves or someone else if we didn't have to include O'Day. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Again, there was no one pointing a gun to our head forcing us to trade him.  He isn't a pending free agent.  If a quality offer isn't there, DON'T MAKE THE DEAL.  

The C prospects we got back will be fringe major leaguers at best.  Our hopes for any positive return come  from a high risk prospect in low A ball.  So our chances of completely striking out on this deal are very high.  This looks like a salary dump to me.  It's hard for me to believe we couldn't have gotten a better package from the Braves or someone else if we didn't have to include O'Day. 

And the 2.5 Million in International slot money.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We almost certainly could have gotten a better package if O'Day wasn't included.  It looks to me like the salary dump was a key component if not the key component of the deal and that tells me that cutting salary for 2019 was imperative.  Do I like the return?  No, I graded it a D, but if that new flexibility coupled with the international slot money brings back a decent international prospect and an improved overall international program then that changes my opinion substantially.  That's why some of us are taking a wait and see attitude on this deal.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

We almost certainly could have gotten a better package if O'Day wasn't included.  It looks to me like the salary dump was a key component if not the key component of the deal and that tells me that cutting salary for 2019 was imperative.  Do I like the return?  No, I graded it a D, but if that new flexibility coupled with the international slot money brings back a decent international prospect and an improved overall international program then that changes my opinion substantially.  That's why some of us are taking a wait and see attitude on this deal.

Sure, the Braves agreed to pay 12M for an asset worth about 3M.  That is going to impact the rest of the package.

• Upvote 1

Food for thought. How was what we did with Gausman any different then what the Marlins did this off season? No one was praising them for trading Yellich, Ozuna, and Stanton. The other trades/moves seemed to at least focus on improving the team long term. The Gausman deal...not so much. 

By the way, Gausman is not really pitching better for the Braves. His SO/9 is lower, his SO/W is lower, etc. He's gotten lucky* with home runs. He's a couple of gopher balls away from looking like himself. 

*lucky includes bigger parks, no DH, weak lineups, etc. 

p.s. Additional fun Gausman stat: His BABIP for August is .238. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, weams said:

I love that Darren O'Day is off the 40 man roster. 

It made sense to shed him, but I will miss the guy.    He was a huge part of our success, fun to watch and a great guy.  I hope he has a spectacular 2019 and makes the Braves happy he was included in the package.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It made sense to shed him, but I will miss the guy.    He was a huge part of our success, fun to watch and a great guy.  I hope he has a spectacular 2019 and makes the Braves happy he was included in the package.

I liked his first contract here a lot.