Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

I am a Braves fan just passing info. This was after his second start here. Changes something up. He’s now pitching from the stretch all game and is 4-0 with a 1.69 era since he has done this. Weird

Gausman, making his first home appearance since getting traded from the major leagues' worst team in Baltimore, allowed six hits and no walks, striking out eight and throwing 71 of 94 pitches for strikes. He pitched the entire game from the stretch, marking the first time he could remember doing so.

"It was something that was working in my bullpen," Gausman said. "(Pitching coach Chuck Hernandez) was like, `You can pitch out the stretch the whole game if you want to.' I felt like I really didn't miss a beat. It didn't feel weird at all."

He pitches in NL east the same division that has made Anibel Sanchez back into a good pitcher with a 3  era this season and whip of 1.08.  Brad Brach rocking a .73 era as well.  Gausman starts 2 vs Marlins, Mets, Pirates and Brewers not one team in the top half of baseball in offense.  

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

He pitches in NL east the same division that has made Anibel Sanchez back into a good pitcher with a 3  era this season and whip of 1.08.  Brad Brach rocking a .73 era as well.  Gausman starts 2 vs Marlins, Mets, Pirates and Brewers not one team in the top half of baseball in offense.  

What’s Archer doing?

Yeah, to be honest, it’s a much pitcher friendly park in Atlanta than Baltimore. You’re not playing the Yankees and Red Sox. A much better defense behind him and probably some added confidence. There are many factors as to why he has looked decent. I will say, I was absolutely shocked we didn’t give up one of our top prospects. Braves have the best or second best farm in the majors according to every list I have seen. There are 4 pitchers in the top 100 and it amazes me that the Braves didn’t give up one of them for Gausman. And he still has instilled 2020 in his contract at a good price. Just seems like an unnecessary trade for Baltimore in my opinion 

12 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Manager decided to PH for Gausman in an attempt to add more runs.

I think they would have kept him in the game if they didn't have a day off on Monday, as the bullpen will get rested.  And the pen pitched 4 shutout innings.      

8 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

What’s Archer doing?

Not very well.

MLBTR had this today:

Chris Archer allowed six runs in four innings in the Pirates’ loss to the Brewers today, and the right-hander now has a 6.45 ERA over five starts in a Pittsburgh uniform.  Needless to say, this isn’t what the Bucs were hoping for after landing Archer for a hefty prospect package at the trade deadline, though Archer himself doesn’t feel he’s that far off his usual form.  Archer told reporters, including The Athletic’s Rob Biertempfel, that he thinks his struggles are “based on some minor things here and there that are easily adjustable.”  Pirates pitching coach Ray Searage feels Archer needs to pitch inside more often and move his fastball around the strike zone, though the bottom line is, as Archer said, “I just have to be better, period.”

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not very well.

MLBTR had this today:

I always thought that Gausman was a better pickup than Archer.   I'm just not that impressed with Archer.    It's nice that he's under control through 2021, but I just see him as an average starter.

Getting back to the purpose of this discussion...I'm really not that thrilled with the return for Gausman.    None of the players acquired (though I think it's a bit premature on Encarnacion) appear to be guys who will be productive major leaguers. 

9 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

What’s Archer doing?

He has also faced major league offenses.   The 5 starts he has made are Stl. Atlanta, at Colorado, at Minnesota, at Milwaukee.  Compared to Gausman Miami 2 home and away,  at Mets,  at Pirates, Brewers.  

The offensive rankings of teams in  Gausman starts, 

Miami 29th at home 25th away 

Mets 30th at home

Pirates 20th at home

Brewers 18th away 

Archer starts

Brewers 10 home

Twins 7th at home

Rockies 6th at home

Cardinals 3rd away

Braves 7th away.

None of Archers starts are team rankings worse then 10.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I always thought that Gausman was a better pickup than Archer.   I'm just not that impressed with Archer.    It's nice that he's under control through 2021, but I just see him as an average starter.

Getting back to the purpose of this discussion...I'm really not that thrilled with the return for Gausman.    None of the players acquired (though I think it's a bit premature on Encarnacion) appear to be guys who will be productive major leaguers. 

Of course Oriole fans thought Gausman was better, but they didnt get the same respect around the league. The rest of the league was wrong too?

I think its great he is doing well there, but I would not be betting the mortgage that he will continue this success rate there for the rest of his career.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Of course Oriole fans thought Gausman was better, but they didnt get the same respect around the league. The rest of the league was wrong too?

I think its great he is doing well there, but I would not be betting the mortgage that he will continue this success rate there for the rest of his career.

It has nothing to do with me being an Orioles fan.  I've seen Archer pitch many times and have come away not all that impressed.