Projected Orioles 2019 Opening Day Payroll (ODP)

AZRon

For those who want to play GM, I am presenting the current projected opening day team payroll (ODP) for the start of the 2019 season. I'm dealing only with the "active" roster, but the O's will have pay obligations for all players on the 40 man roster. I'll try to keep this up to date through opening day (all help appreciated).

This list represents the Active Roster as of the date of this post.

Salaries are displayed as rounded to the nearest $10k, but the total is accurate to 2 decimal places.

Projections for those under contract are from the Cots Baseball Prospectus Compensation Website.

The 2019 MLB minimum salary is $555,000. 

I provide this information so that we can make accurate and useful comparisons to the opening day payrolls of the Orioles in previous years, other MLB teams and the totals for Major League Baseball. As with virtually all team opening day payroll tabulations on the web, my total payroll figure does not reflect any deductions for deferred salaries or additions for set-asides for deferrals from previous years (as required by Article XVI of the CBA). So, please, let's dispense with the squabbling over the "accounting" for salary deferrals. I have noted the 2019 contract deferrals in the right-most column of the below chart.

Status   PLAYER POS     2019 SALARY       DEFERRED
               ($ Million)        ($ Million)

C   Jesus Sucre C   $0.85    
P   Pedro Severino C   $0.56    
P   Austin Wynns (IL 10) C   $0.56    

C   Chris Davis 1B/DH   $23.00           $6.00
P   Renato Núñez DH/1B/3B   $0.56    

A   Jonathan Villar 2B   $4.83    

P   Richie Martin SS   $0.56    

P   Rio Ruiz 3B   $0.56    

P   Trey Mancini OF/DH/1B   $0.58    
P   Cedric Mullins OF   $0.56    
P   Dwight Smith Jr. OF   $0.56    
P   Joey Rickard OF   $0.57    

C   Mark Trumbo (IL 60) DH/1B   $13.50         $1.50

P   Drew Jackson UT   $0.56    
P   Hanser Alberto UT   $0.58    

A   Dylan Bundy SP   $2.80    
C   Andrew Cashner SP   $9.50        $1.50
C   Alex Cobb (IL 10) SP   $14.00        $4.50
P   David Hess SP   $0.56    
P   Mike Wright Jr. SP   $0.57    

A   Mychal Givens RP   $2.15    
P   Richard Bleier RP   $0.57    
P   Paul Fry RP   $0.56    
P   Miguel Castro RP   $0.57    
C   Nate Karns RP   $0.80    
P   Jimmy Yacabonis RP   $0.56    
P   John Means RP   $0.56    
P   Pedro Araujo RP   $0.56    

Total     $82.12    $13.50

A = Arbitration Settlement
C = Contract
P =  Pre-Arbitration

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would let Peterson walk and Joseph saves you 3 million.  Then bring Beckham back and let Sisco and Wynns see if they can handle the catcher position.  That would cost you about 4.5 million  to do that.  That is just 1.5 million more and much more upside imo.  

68M sounds like a good rebuild number.

I'ii take Yaz at 560K as the 4th OFer instead on Peterson at 1.3m.  I'd non tender Peterson and offer him a AAA contract and a ST invite.  I'd sign Yaz to a AAA contract  with a ST invite also but he would be my favorite going in the ST to win the 4th OF spot.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'ii take Yaz at 560K as the 4th OFer instead on Peterson at 1.3m.  I'd non tender Peterson and offer him a AAA contract and a ST invite.  I'd sign Yaz to a AAA contract  with a ST invite also but he would be my favorite going in the ST to win the 4th OF spot.

I believe that Mike Yastrzemski is not on the 40-man roster, is currently subject to the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft and is 1 year shy of qualifying for minor league free agency.  If that is correct, then he does not qualify for inclusion on my chart.

1 hour ago, AZRon said:

I believe that Mike Yastrzemski is not on the 40-man roster, is currently subject to the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft and is 1 year shy of qualifying for minor league free agency.  If that is correct, then he does not qualify for inclusion on my chart.

I agree.  But Yaz is unlikely to be selected in the Rule 5 draft because of his age.  I hope he is with the O's in ST next spring with a chance to win a job on the 25 man roster.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Peterson is more useful than Yaz.

4 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Peterson is more useful than Yaz.

Peterson is worse than replacement level for his career. We can get someone better than him for the league minimum.  If not better than just as awful for less money and it won't be someone I already know is going to be awful before the season starts. 

If in fact you really want Peterson on the team you can not offer him arbitration and then sign him for the minimum in free agency.  Save yourself 800k and still have him on the team. 

16 hours ago, AZRon said:

Yes. Thanks for the work you do on this. Excellent stuff. 

18 hours ago, Aglets said:

Because he will be non tendered?

I mean......it seems highly likely to me that he will be anyway.

18 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Why is it assumed that Beckham will be non tendered?

Because Oriole posters are expect keyboard GM.

I dont think its an absolute, that he will be non tendered.

If would not surprise me, if he did get tendered.

I think the odds are like 70-30 against.

Archived