A Few Questions About Some Former Orioles

TommyPickles

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think Gentry and Jones contributions to the 2019 Orioles would be very similar overall.  Jones might settle for the 2 year deal as a favor to the O's.  Gentry will be happy to get a 1 year deal.  I'm pretty sure that Gentry would deal with being benched for a prospect a lot better than Jones.  I think Jones has no interest in being a clubhouse leader on a rebuilding club. 

He might "settle" for a two year deal because no one offers him a three year deal.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/22/2018 at 6:42 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think Gentry and Jones contributions to the 2019 Orioles would be very similar overall.  Jones might settle for the 2 year deal as a favor to the O's.  Gentry will be happy to get a 1 year deal.  I'm pretty sure that Gentry would deal with being benched for a prospect a lot better than Jones.  I think Jones has no interest in being a clubhouse leader on a rebuilding club. 

The Os cant resign Jones.  His 10/5 status makes that a no go.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Except for that tidy sum of money that's still left, kinda throws a monkey wrench into things.

I'd love to be wrong, of course.

Well, they are gonna pay the money.  But he's done.  It's not like the Yankees are gonna pick him up and we can pay him to beat our brains in.  Finished.  Gone by end of spring training unless he earns a spot.  Of course that is only my opinion.

19 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think Jones and Davis have a decent shot at coming back, unless the new GM actually has a plan for next year.

Davis, yes, at least for a few months.  Jones, absolutely not for a number of reasons already stated (age, decline, no trade status, cost, etc..).

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Davis, yes, at least for a few months.  Jones, absolutely not for a number of reasons already stated (age, decline, no trade status, cost, etc..).

Market value for Jones will probably be within the  O's price range unless something unforeseen happens. I can see the new O's GM thinking it brilliant to resign a fan favorite for a lost year. 

On 10/20/2018 at 7:21 AM, thezeroes said:

D J Stewart was holding his own at Norfolk until he went on the DL with a Hamstring Injury on May 27.  He returned from the DL June 11.  How much that played into his July swoon is not determined by his stat line.

If one researches these Milb stats a bit, they can see that there are factors involved such as a DL Stint and recovery.  I know that this research may not fit a certain narrative but is a factor.

Assistant bullpen coach Rudy Arias helped me transition to catching the summer after my freshman year.

The first thing he asked me was how strong my arm was.  I began rattling off college stats when he loudly interrupted me with the same question about arm strength.  As I tried to finish up blabbering about numbers and accolades, he aggressively said he didn’t care.  

I asked how much stats matter in projection.  He said 0%.  

While college is not MiLB, and his words are hyperbole, this is a long-time Oriole coach’s take on the meaningfulness—or severe lack thereof—of stats facing inferior and highly variable competition for the purpose of evaluating the Major League player.

Don’t get me wrong, MiLB stats are still a billion times more meaningful than college stats, especially since meticulous records are kept at all levels (except for maybe the orioles lol).

On 10/23/2018 at 8:55 PM, jabba72 said:

I think Jones and Davis have a decent shot at coming back, unless the new GM actually has a plan for next year.

I'm perfectly fine with Adam returning, and with Duquette out of the picture (and obviously depending on Adam's market), I suspect the odds of that happening may be right around 50/50, possibly a tick higher.

As for Chris, I'm resigned to seeing his deal through to the end. I mean, it is what it is. In any case, however long he's here, I'll remain hopeful that he'll regain some semblance of professional respectability.

5 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

I'm perfectly fine with Adam returning, and with Duquette out of the picture (and obviously depending on Adam's market), I suspect the odds of that happening may be right around 50/50, possibly a tick higher.

As for Chris, I'm resigned to seeing his deal through to the end. I mean, it is what it is. In any case, however long he's here, I'll remain hopeful that he'll regain some semblance of professional respectability.

I can't think of a reason why we would want Jones back.  He would not be superior defensively to our options from the minors and his bat was not good enough to make up for it.  I'd actually prefer signing Gentry.

Archived