When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't like either one.

Ng has never run a scouting organization nor a player development organization.  She has not really been in an organization that did a rebuild for the ground up.    The expertise that I have read about her doing in salary arbitration and analytics.  She is analytical and well respected.   But she is not as qualified as other possible candidates to lead the O's rebuild IMO

Cherington made some very expensive missteps when is was the GM of the Red Sox.   Signing Pablo Sandoval and Handley Ramirez does not look good in his resume.    The O's can not afford those kind of mistakes.    The Red Sox are one the richest teams in the MLB.  The O's will not have those kind of resources.   I do not see him as a fit for the O's rebuild.

I understand after your constant analysis of DD and his missteps, that you're going to look at every GM through that lens.  But GMs make mistakes, like it or not.  Some of those mistakes are in free agency, some are in the draft, some are in trades.  

The answer would be not to pay in the high price FA game, and that's something I'd probably be for...unless the next GM somehow has built a club through drafting and trades and one FA is the guy who could put us over the top.  

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand after your constant analysis of DD and his missteps, that you're going to look at every GM through that lens.  But GMs make mistakes, like it or not.  Some of those mistakes are in free agency, some are in the draft, some are in trades.  

The answer would be not to pay in the high price FA game, and that's something I'd probably be for...unless the next GM somehow has built a club through drafting and trades and one FA is the guy who could put us over the top.  

Hopefully the O's have better choices than Cherington and Ng.  I would rather have Elias, Arnold, Sawdaye, Mcleod or Bloom over either of them.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hopefully the O's have better choices than Cherington and Ng.  I would rather have Elias, Arnold, Sawdaye, Mcleod or Bloom over either of them.

I would be very happy with Cherington. I think he checks every box. 

All GM’s make mistakes.  

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Kim Ng would be an outstanding choice as President and someone like Mike Elias or Chaim Bloom as GM...

Among individual candidates, Coletti and Ng would bring first class resumes, IMO, though they may not be the younger, big analytical type that might be a cool hire.  

My issue with most lists we have seen with perhaps Ng, Cherington and others is that those folks are large market guys - folks with LAD, Cubs, NYY and BoSox backgrounds.  Those organizations have first class operations at the direction of the owner, the GM AND also because they can afford a budget with a large analytics group.  Those organizations can make one or two or three bad trades, bad signings and still field a competitive team because of a very large MLB payroll, large international spending, etc.  

IMO, we need a GM who has had to live with budgets and more limited resources - from an organization used to doing more with less - like the Rays, As, Twins and Padres.  Yes, we have more resources than these teams, but IMO we need the mindset of an organization that has to field a team with quality players that have been draft, signed, developed internally.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I would be very happy with Cherington. I think he checks every box. 

All GM’s make mistakes.  

Agreed on Cherington. Would love to see him in the GM spot here. I think he's got a lot to prove, and he's probably got a chip on his shoulder. I also think he got jerked around in Boston, and received a good deal of interference from various quarters. 

Would love to see Ng involved somehow. The more elite professional baseball people we can get around this organization, the better. And she seems universally respected. I wouldn't mind seeing her as GM, either... I just prefer Cherington, largely because he WANTS to rebuild something from the ground up. He seems like the perfect fit. 

49 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Among individual candidates, Coletti and Ng would bring first class resumes, IMO, though they may not be the younger, big analytical type that might be a cool hire.  

My issue with most lists we have seen with perhaps Ng, Cherington and others is that those folks are large market guys - folks with LAD, Cubs, NYY and BoSox backgrounds.  Those organizations have first class operations at the direction of the owner, the GM AND also because they can afford a budget with a large analytics group.  Those organizations can make one or two or three bad trades, bad signings and still field a competitive team because of a very large MLB payroll, large international spending, etc.  

IMO, we need a GM who has had to live with budgets and more limited resources - from an organization used to doing more with less - like the Rays, As, Twins and Padres.  Yes, we have more resources than these teams, but IMO we need the mindset of an organization that has to field a team with quality players that have been draft, signed, developed internally.

You mean like Boston and New York? Their rosters are full of homegrown talent again, somehow... even though they've traded away amazing farm talent over the years. This is why I no longer care if the person's coming from a small-market or large-market team. I want someone who understands talent acquisition at a super-elite level... especially farm talent. Oddly, the GMs of the richest and most successful teams all have executives who understand that. We do not. 

1 minute ago, Bradysburns said:

You mean like Boston and New York? Their rosters are full of homegrown talent again, somehow... even though they've traded away amazing farm talent over the years. This is why I no longer care if the person's coming from a small-market or large-market team. I want someone who understands talent acquisition at a super-elite level... especially farm talent. Oddly, the GMs of the richest and most successful teams all have executives who understand that. We do not. 

Yes, NYY and Bos have home-grown talent again, but they will make the mistake again of signing that talent to LTCs and, after playoff failure, will sign more free agent talent and repeat past mistakes and still possibly make the playoffs because of the ability to make a large payroll.  The GMs of the "richest and most successful teams" make a lot of mistakes that smaller, smarter market GMs don't make.  Boston signed Sandoval to a terrible deal and also wasted big $ on Rusney - deals that might have sunk the Os as Chris Davis is doing now.  The NYY are going to sign Severino, Judge and others to long terms deals like they are on the hook for Stanton and those deals won't look so hot in five years or so.

Sure, the Os can probably carry a peak payroll near $140M, but we can only offer LTCs to a select free agent or extend LTCs to a couple of home-grown guys.  The rest have to be dealt away and re-cycled like we see the As and Rays do so well; and as the Os did so well with Bedard. 

5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Knock against Colletti was that he was not at all an analytics guy.  We don’t need to go down that road again. 

4 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Yes, NYY and Bos have home-grown talent again, but they will make the mistake again of signing that talent to LTCs and, after playoff failure, will sign more free agent talent and repeat past mistakes and still possibly make the playoffs because of the ability to make a large payroll.  The GMs of the "richest and most successful teams" make a lot of mistakes that smaller, smarter market GMs don't make.  Boston signed Sandoval to a terrible deal and also wasted big $ on Rusney - deals that might have sunk the Os as Chris Davis is doing now.  The NYY are going to sign Severino, Judge and others to long terms deals like they are on the hook for Stanton and those deals won't look so hot in five years or so.

Sure, the Os can probably carry a peak payroll near $140M, but we can only offer LTCs to a select free agent or extend LTCs to a couple of home-grown guys.  The rest have to be dealt away and re-cycled like we see the As and Rays do so well; and as the Os did so well with Bedard. 

Yes, so when you are the Gm of a rich team you will take more chances because there is a bigger net.  Cherington wouldn’t run the Orioles the way he ran the Sox. 

5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I remember during trade rumors with LA years ago that Dodgers fans really disliked Colletti. 

I’m pretty confident that Colletti is not under consideration for either of these positions.  I think John Angelos just met with him earlier this year to pick his brain, and maybe get some intel on the Dodgers prospects for when it came time to negotiate a trade for Machado.  Jon Heyman was just speculating that Kim Ng and Colletti could be a package deal because they worked together in LA, Angelos met with Colletti this year, and there is rumored interest in Ng for the President or GM job.  However, I think it’s nothing more than speculation and trying to connect the dots.

Archived