Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Success has a cost.  Ravens won a Super Bowl, Phil Savage moved on to become GM in Cleveland.  Marvin Lewis left for DC and ultimately a head coaching job in Cincinatti.  It happens.

Yeah that was my thought.too. You see this in the NFL a lot. If there are personality issues in Houston, I hope Elias and Sig aren't the root at them since we have them now but I'm thinking the same as yourself and that this is just part of what happens with franchises that get successful. 

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

The situation with the Angelos brothers sort of reminds me of what happened with the Yankees when George Steinbrenner died and got older. The Yankees since Hal and Hank started running the show seem more practical than their old man was. And yeah I know Peter Angelos isn't on the level of George Steinbrenner with past success as an owner but it's an interesting parallel with two sons taking over from their father .

And Seinfeld just wasn't the same without "Big Stein" (AKA Larry David) ordering calzones via Costanza either!

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

And Seinfeld just wasn't the same without "Big Stein" (AKA Larry David) ordering calzones via Constanza either!

This is still my favorite George on Seinfeld:

"That kid was a human dynamo."

"Are you sure you're talking about George."

And of course the rant about Jay Buhner who yeah was pretty good and I'm glad wasn't in the AL East in the 90's. Always felt he was the most underrated part of those 90's Mariners teams with Griffey, Randy Johnson, and Edgar Martinez. Plus Buhner buzz cut night was one of the coolest promotions ever. The M's should do it again for old times sake this season and have Buhner throw out the first pitch if he's interested. That org is going to need to do a lot of PR after what happened. Sorry rambling lol.

Roch Kubatko Mod • 11 minutes ago

Not much of an update here, but don't be hugely disappointed if there's no announcement today. Remember that the Angelos brothers are attending the owners meetings. And there, ahem, other business going on this week. Elias figures to get the job, but again, nothing is official

The owners meetings are today and tomorrow in Chicago.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I also don't care about Elias.  Sorry.

I mean, nice hire, analytics, young, Yale, wow, I'm impressed.  Can this guy go into a room,  give Angelos (or his sons)  and/or Brady the finger and tell them to get out of the way?

Plenty a good baseball man hasn't been able to survive working for the Orioles for 25+ years now.  I'd be thrilled to be wrong but I'm not believing it until I see results.  And results include reports that PGA (I know, I know, he's apparently not involved anymore...want to buy a bridge?) or the sons are not involved on decisions.  

If you're gonna give this yuppie the job, it doesn't matter unless he has free reign.  Until then, it's more of the same.  A golf clap to the Orioles for at least making a turn towards analytics and advanced analysis, congrats on being 15 years too late to the party.

Lol, Moose, your negativity is getting into webbrick2010 territory!

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I will point out that a good GM hire is better than a bad GM hire, even if nothing else changes!

To get an idea as to how advanced analytics can be used in baseball, I highly recommend the book Astroball. 

Astroball: The New Way to Win It All

Just off the top of my head, I recall chapters on:

1.  How they encouraged J.D. Martinez to rebuild his swing.  If Chris Davis isn't sent to the same swing doctor, I will be shocked.  Heck, the whole team should be sent.

2.  How the Astro's knew why Justin Verlander was underperforming when he was still with Detroit.  Then they signed him, and let him in on the secret.  Hope they have the dirt on Bundy and others.  

3.  How they decided on Correa and Bregman as top picks.  Gives me hope they won't strike out with the Oriole's #1 picks the next couple of years.  

4.  How they provided individualized scouting reports to their players, including Dallas Keuchel, to allow them to make the most of their strengths.

Mike Elias and Sig play big roles throughout.  Gotta say, if this comes to pass, I am super excited for the future of the Orioles.  

5 minutes ago, hayek said:

To get an idea as to how advanced analytics can be used in baseball, I highly recommend the book Astroball. 

Astroball: The New Way to Win It All

Just off the top of my head, I recall chapters on:

1.  How they encouraged J.D. Martinez to rebuild his swing.  If Chris Davis isn't sent to the same swing doctor, I will be shocked.  Heck, the whole team should be sent.

2.  How the Astro's knew why Justin Verlander was underperforming when he was still with Detroit.  Then they signed him, and let him in on the secret.  Hope they have the dirt on Bundy and others.  

3.  How they decided on Correa and Bregman as top picks.  Gives me hope they won't strike out with the Oriole's #1 picks the next couple of years.  

4.  How they provided individualized scouting reports to their players, including Dallas Keuchel, to allow them to make the most of their strengths.

Mike Elias and Sig play big roles throughout.  Gotta say, if this comes to pass, I am super excited for the future of the Orioles.  

That sounds like a good read. I really like 4) because sometime sI think managers and coaches are just focused on their philosophy rather than what works for the individual. I pitched in Little League and I remember a coach making me abandon my submarine motion. He gave me the old coach's tale about how it was bad for your elbow and arm. This was before I saw guys like Chad Bradford and Darren O'Day pitch obviously. It probably was for the best that I became an overhand pitcher but I lost my secret edge pitch that really took the hitters off balance especially since I was a lefty. I like this hire. It's definitely not something I would have expected from the team seven years ago the last time we needed a new GM.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, Moose, your negativity is getting into webbrick2010 territory!

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I will point out that a good GM hire is better than a bad GM hire, even if nothing else changes!

@webbrick2010, I'm gunning for you.

I like the hire, I do.  It's just that nothing really matters if ownership interferes.  If the sons are just like the dad, we're so screwed.  

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought they said 2 weeks ago, that Graham would be representing the team at the winter meetings?

There are meetings and then there are meetings.

The GM meetings which Graham and Norton went to.

The owners meetings that John and Lou are attending

The winter meeting in December that Elias will go to

Archived