Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Elias follows the Houston Plan then:

The focus will be on making the playoffs in 2022 and the WS soon there after.

O's Major League Players with  value will be traded for players 23 years old and younger including Bundy, Cobb,  Cashner, Given, Bleier, Kline, Mancini, Trumbo no matter if the O's have major league replacements or not. This will happen over the next year.

Beckham and Caleb will be non tendered

There will be a lot of investment in scouting, player development and analytics

I think there is a chance that Hays and Diaz will be kept in the minors  at least until next year to delay their service clock progressing.  They are probably seen as part of the 2022 playoff team.

As players are traded away players from the minors will be promoted to give them a chance to show they can play at the major league level.

The 2020 O's major league payroll will be in the 50 million range.

I can't say how closely Elias will follow this kind of plan but that is what Houston did.

Love your analysis Sir. Thank you as always. 

39 minutes ago, Obando said:

I’m not worried about the fact that it hasn’t been officially announced yet.  Bob Nightengale was clearly told by someone in Elias’ or the Astros camp that he was the Orioles pick for GM, and he ran with it, and it has since been confirmed by other sources.  I’m sure the delay is simply negotiating the contract once Elias was informed he got the job, and the fact that John & Lou are at the Owners Meetings, followed by the MASN panel hearing.  It just happens to be a hectic time right now.  I would expect that if it’s not announced today, it will be tomorrow.  Everyone likes to joke about it, but at least we know Elias won’t need to take a physical, so that has nothing to do with the delay.  Probably just a matter of dotting i’s and crossing t’s, getting all the plans in order for the press conference, etc.  At this point, I’m not going to worry about anything until it becomes clear there is something to worry about.

That Elias hasn't shot the rumor down by now means there's some substance to Nightengale's report.  If nothing's announced by Monday, then I start to get worried.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Really other than Cobb, Bundy,  Givens, Castro, Cashner, Villar and maybe Nunez do we even have any major league quality players on the roster?  Do you think fans would care if any of those players get traded?  And Cashner's and Cobb's salaries probably make it hard to trade them.  

That article also said Houston had already stripped it's roster, down to a $22 mill payroll. Elias came in and sold off the scraps and dropped it to 13. ?

Or something like that. I'd have to go back and find the article.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Agree with most, but I don't think there's a good reason to delay service time for either of Hays or Diaz.  They are not Acuna, Jiminez or Vlad Jr.  If they're ready, bring them up.

Why not let them have a season in AAA, or at least 100 games. No rush to get up here and help a team lose 100 games. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why not let them have a season in AAA, or at least 100 games. No rush to get up here and help a team lose 100 games. 

I did say to bring them up “if they’re ready.” Not urging that they be rushed. Just pointing out that service time isn’t really a big deal for them.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

That article also said Houston had already stripped it's roster, down to a $22 mill payroll. Elias came in and sold off the scraps and dropped it to 13. ?

Or something like that. I'd have to go back and find the article.

I think I put it in one of the threads. 

Elias would be a HR hire beyond expectations IMO.  Bringing in Mejdal would be a similar coup.

Now, we have brought in good execs before and they did not have control - going back to Wren, then AM and IMO to a lesser extent DD.  We were supposed to invest internationally after DD's hiring.

Hopefully, the Angelos brothers really do cede full control for hire/fire decisions, allocate sufficient $ for a proper analytics group, allocate sufficient $ for an international scouting department, to beef up our US scouting department, and set aside $ for our international allocation.

Hopefully, this will lead to the building of something special, thorough and lasting.  These names are a good start.

The next MASN chapter will be very interesting.  The Os and Nats gave presentations in the original hearings that were absolute bs and left it to the committee to come up with an appropriate methodology.  I hope the Os provide analysis based on Bortz - which is how I believe the payout have gone.  Anything reasonable should preclude the RSDC from coming up with their own methodology. We'll see.

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

That Elias hasn't shot the rumor down by now means there's some substance to Nightengale's report.  If nothing's announced by Monday, then I start to get worried.

If they don't at least say there will be a press conference on Monday tomorrow I will doubt it will happen.  Because its the Orioles I think there is good odds they will mess it up. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

If they don't at least say there will be a press conference on Monday tomorrow I will doubt it will happen.  Because its the Orioles I think there is good odds they will mess it up. 

There is plenty to worry about.  But, I am not wildly celebrating something that isn't official, nor am I going to torture myself with arbitrary dates of panic.  Process...let's see.

Archived