Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I'm expecting a split in favor of Severino. 

I would start Sisco 75 percent of the games.  We are the worst team in the league I think it is time to give Sisco  a chance to see if he is a big league player.  Severino didn't have great minor league stats and is 2 years older.  If we were in any kind of hunt for the playoffs it might make sense to play Severino more but we aren't so let the prospects play every day. 

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

I would start Sisco 75 percent of the games.  We are the worst team in the league I think it is time to give Sisco  a chance to see if he is a big league player.  Severino didn't have great minor league stats and is 2 years older.  If we were in any kind of hunt for the playoffs it might make sense to play Severino more but we aren't so let the prospects play every day. 

I don't think it will have anything to do with playing the guy who gives you the best chance to win, nor should it.  I'm just not sure the organization values Sisco more than Severino at this point.  They may consider Severino a diamond in the rough and Sisco a defensive liability who still hasn't proven he can hit major league pitching.  

There are guys who figure it out a little later (offensively).  Maybe Severino is that guy.  I've been clamoring for Sisco to get a chance too I just don't think its as easy as making him the starting catcher because we need to find out what we have in him.  We need to continue developing Severino as well.  He's not Sucre.  

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

There are guys who figure it out a little later (offensively).  Maybe Severino is that guy. 

It seems unlikely that someone who's about to turn 26 and has a career minor league OPS of .642 is developing into a solid major league hitter.  

8 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Sisco has been better v lefties than righties, but not significantly so. 

I think if you look at his overall minor/MLB record he looks like he has a fairly typical platoon split, but a lot of variability due to small number of ABs against lefties in a lot of years.  My guess is that they usually rested him against his weaker side.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well, small victories I guess.  Sisco just looks like an overmatched little leaguer.  

I’m happy because now we can see once and for all what we have. 

I have major doubts myself. 

I would think Hays at some point is next to arrive and that may be it except for the pitching shuttle. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I’m happy because now we can see once and for all what we have. 

I have major doubts myself. 

I would think Hays at some point is next to arrive and that may be it except for the pitching shuttle. 

I think we all know what we have in regards to Sisco. 

9 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Sisco has been better v lefties than righties, but not significantly so. 

OTOH, Severino has absolutely mashed lefties this year with .351/.405/.649 splits against southpaws but has struggled against righties (.226/.333/.371). A straight platoon would make the most sense.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, just not excited to see Sisco back in the bigs.  

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm excited about not having to watch Wynns hit.

I agree with both of you. I'm the OP of this thread and I think it's good that the organization/fans did not give up on Sisco. That said for whatever reason I'm just not exactly buying what he's done at AAA this season. I just would rather see him do it for longer. That said, Wynns is disappointing/boring and it will be more interesting to see how Sisco fares this time around. 

52 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we all know what we have in regards to Sisco. 

Why do you say this?    I certainly don’t know what we have in Sisco. In particular, I don’t know if his offensive performance in the majors last year is an indication of his vulnerability to major league pitchers, or just a blip.    Sisco could be an .800 OPS hitter or a .675 hitter.     I’m hoping for the former, worried about the latter.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why do you say this?    I certainly don’t know what we have in Sisco. In particular, I don’t know if his offensive performance in the majors last year is an indication of his vulnerability to major league pitchers, or just a blip.    Sisco could be an .800 OPS hitter or a .675 hitter.     I’m hoping for the former, worried about the latter.   

I say this because to me, he just looks unimpressive in practically everything he does.  I'm not blown away by what he's done in AAA in 2016, 2017 or 2018.  Sure, he's done well this year but I'm not getting my hopes up.

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I say this because to me, he just looks unimpressive in practically everything he does.  I'm not blown away by what he's done in AAA in 2016, 2017 or 2018.  Sure, he's done well this year but I'm not getting my hopes up.

He had 18 plate appearances in AAA in 2016 with a .958 OPS. I had to go look at his stats because your post made it seem like he was repeating AAA for the fourth consecutive season.