Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

10 minutes ago, BarclaySouthway said:

Cisco battled Cole to 3-2, fouled a couple pitches off, and then hit a hanging, outside slider over the fence down the left field line.  It was a fine at bat.

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

I must admit that I often miss the days of Matt Wieters.

In Wieters, Hardy and Schoop, we had three great taggers.    Wieters was awesome at short-hopping throws and with those long arms could take balls well in front of the plate and sweep tag just about anyone; and before the “no blocking the plate” rule, was a boulder down there.   Hardy taught Schoop how to position himself astride the bag and let the ball come to him rather than reaching out for it, and they were both expert at this and also extremely adept at catching and tagging in a single motion, even on bouncing throws.     I think of this every time Villar, Alberto or Martin reach out for a ball and either are a split second late with the tag, or simply don’t catch the ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

In Wieters, Hardy and Schoop, we had three great taggers.    Wieters was awesome at short-hopping throws and with those long arms could take balls well in front of the plate and sweep tag just about anyone; and before the “no blocking the plate” rule, was a boulder down there.   Hardy taught Schoop how to position himself astride the bag and let the ball come to him rather than reaching out for it, and they were both expert at this and also extremely adept at catching and tagging in a single motion, even on bouncing throws.     I think of this every time Villar, Alberto or Martin reach out for a ball and either are a split second late with the tag, or simply don’t catch the ball.

I hope our new O's coaches try to instruct our middle infielders about this!

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could just hire Hardy, not like he's busy.

It occurred to me, but then I thought it might be seen as encroaching on the current infield coach's territory. BTW who has responsibility for that area?

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

His framing looks pretty good. Very smooth and unforced. 

Yeah, he got 3 strike calls on one batter that were all off the outside corner.  I don't know if it was bad umpiring or good framing or a combo.  Otoh, he made me almost pull my hair out when batting he had a 3-1 count and swung at what would have been ball 4 twice - and struck out.  Tell him not to watch Chris Davis anymore.  Btw, Davis' attempt to catch a very high popup to short RF last night... just awful.  He's not just horrible offensively; his defense is also unacceptible.  He has to go, but we all know that - as he continues to play.  Ok, back to Chance.    

• Thanks 1