Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

36 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, he got 3 strike calls on one batter that were all off the outside corner.  I don't know if it was bad umpiring or good framing or a combo.  Otoh, he made me almost pull my hair out when batting he had a 3-1 count and swung at what would have been ball 4 twice - and struck out. Tell him not to watch Chris Davis anymore.  Btw, Davis' attempt to catch a very high popup to short RF last night... just awful.  He's not just horrible offensively; his defense is also unacceptible.  He has to go, but we all know that - as he continues to play.  Ok, back to Chance.    

Yes, that at bat annoyed me as well, particularly for a guy reputed to be a patient hitter.    But at least that double he stroked was sweet.

As to the Davis play, I thought Mancini was as much to blame as Davis.    And Alberto wasn’t blameless either.   Bottom line, someone’s got to catch that.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes, that at bat annoyed me as well, particularly for a guy reputed to be a patient hitter.    But at least that double he stroked was sweet.

As to the Davis play, I thought Mancini was as much to blame as Davis.    And Alberto wasn’t blameless either.   Bottom line, someone’s got to catch that.  

Patient hitters strike out some time. I think hair pulling out would be more apt had he not had a very good/patient AB early in the game to work a walk. 

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Patient hitters strike out some time. I think hair pulling out would be more apt had he not had a very good/patient AB early in the game to work a walk. 

And I might have felt that way if I’d actually been watching the game during Sisco’s earlier at bats, but I wasn’t.   

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Fair. Wasn’t sure when you tuned in ;)

Our kitchen is inoperative for a few days, so we’ve been going out to dinner and not getting home until 8:30-9:00.    My wife’s pretty happy about it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And I might have felt that way if I’d actually been watching the game during Sisco’s earlier at bats, but I wasn’t.   

I laughed - me too.  Good to here he did have a couple good at bats.  

2 hours ago, interloper said:

He has 2 walks and all 3 of his hits have been extra bases, allowing for a .214 average but .960 OPS. 

One thing I'm finding interesting is his progression to hitting the ball the other way as he has climbed the ladder. Is he sitting back more and going the other way, having a slow bat and getting the bat on the ball, or is it something he really worked on big time?

9 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

One thing I'm finding interesting is his progression to hitting the ball the other way as he has climbed the ladder. Is he sitting back more and going the other way, having a slow bat and getting the bat on the ball, or is it something he really worked on big time?

He’s always hit the ball to all fields from what I’d seen, I’d like to see him turn on the ball with authority more often and he’d made some progress in that respect in AAA this year.

40 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I believe he’s always had that propensity; A slow bat was considered concerning in the recent past, but he’s been yanking them out of Norfolk, so he may have the goods to turn on 97. 

Jimmy Palmer likes nothing more than discussion of speeding up the bat, thus far Chance is pulling the off speed & taking the outside heat the other way. He pulled the Cole knuckle-curve after fouling off his 99mph heat.

It looks like he whips the bat through the zone pretty quickly.  Doesn't appear to be a long looping swing by any stretch, at least to my untrained eye.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Agree; & on off speed pitches it looks like he’s able to keep barrel in the zone a bit longer, he just had another double on a breaking ball. 

giphy.gif

Encouraging because he looked awful on breaking stuff last year. 

An abundance of riches is a good problem to have.

17 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

It looks like he whips the bat through the zone pretty quickly.  Doesn't appear to be a long looping swing by any stretch, at least to my untrained eye.

That's why it's so weird when he goes ice cold suddenly and strikes out a bunch. As a guy with a sweet swing who seems very adept at going the other way, you wouldn't think he strikes out. I hope he's for real this time, but it's super early. I'm holding off on declaring anything negative about Stewart's early struggles, so I'm trying my best to not jump to conclusions about Sisco's hot start. 

There's no reason why Sisco shouldn't be playing every day against right handed pitchers from now on. Severino's numbers are overwhelmingly better against left-handed pitchers compared to right-handed pitchers. Use those two as a strict platoon and I can see them getting some major offensive production from that position. 

3 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

There's no reason why Sisco shouldn't be playing every day against right handed pitchers from now on. Severino's numbers are overwhelmingly better against left-handed pitchers compared to right-handed pitchers. Use those two as a strict platoon and I can see them getting some major offensive production from that position. 

I don't think you bury Severino to just a platoon guy. I like seeing Sisco Dhing as well in order to give him ABs.