O’s claim IF Hanser Alberto from Yankees; DFA Susac

Frobby

33 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Sorry, but even with the excellent batting average, Alberto's got an OPS+ of 99.  I mean... the price was right for him, but he's literally below average.   

You're right but I don't care.  He's fun.  Yes, it's a hollow batting average but hollow batting averages can be fun.  He's been a pleasant surprise.  Didn't think anyone on this team would be in the top 10 in batting average this late into the season.  

29 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Sorry, but even with the excellent batting average, Alberto's got an OPS+ of 99.  I mean... the price was right for him, but he's technically below average.   

Fixed that for you... Yes, the walk rate is horrible and he doesn't have home run power, but I will take average offense and good enough defense from a middle infield position. Remember, average is significantly better than replacement level.

It's amazing he has as few strikeouts as he does while swinging at everything.

I didn't like him at first but he has grown on me. I find his gestures particularly hilarious.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Alberto's splits are dramatic.

Vs lefties    406/418/524/942

Vs righties   253/286/328/614

He would only get enough at bats to qualify  for the batting title on a bad team.

Especially one whose primary shortstop is hitting .165/.213/.278 vs. RHP.   Alberto is a big upgrade over that at his mighty .614 OPS vs. RHP.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Especially one whose primary shortstop is hitting .165/.213/.278 vs. RHP.   Alberto is a big upgrade over that at his mighty .614 OPS vs. RHP.

Which is why if Rondon passes through waivers (I'm not sure if he will or will not) he might be promotes to the O's in Sept.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Alberto's splits are dramatic.

Vs lefties    406/418/524/942

Vs righties   253/286/328/614

He would only get enough at bats to qualify  for the batting title on a bad team.

What a great weapon to have vs lefties, though! I love having one of those guys. Geronimo Berroa (.358.444.554.998) was clutch every time we needed a big hit against a lefty. One of the more underrated players on the '97 team, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What a great weapon to have vs lefties, though! I love having one of those guys. Geronimo Berroa (.358.444.554.998) was clutch every time we needed a big hit against a lefty. One of the more underrated players on the '97 team, IMO. 

I am not saying that Alberto shouldn't be on the O's team.  Just that on a good team he doesn't get enough at  bats to qualify for the batting title.

Is there anywhere I can go to see the OPS+ numbers by position for the league? I would expect amongst middle infielders a 99 OPS+ is better than average. For all of Alberto's flaws, i struggle to see him as an everyday answer, but I like him as a nice bat off the bench. He seems to have a good hit tool if nothing else and having someone that can come off the bench and deliver a single and/or come off the bench and deliver average or near average offense and playable defense at a couple positions has value.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not saying that Alberto shouldn't be on the O's team.  Just that on a good team he doesn't get enough at  bats to qualify for the batting title.

I wonder if he would produce as well without regular at-bats. 

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Is there anywhere I can go to see the OPS+ numbers by position for the league? I would expect amongst middle infielders a 99 OPS+ is better than average. 

Sort of.    If you look at BB-ref’s splits page for Alberto, you can call up his splits by position.    As a 3B, Alberto has an .819 OPS, and an sOPS+ of 110, meaning his OPS at 3B is 10% better than average at that position.    As a 2B, he has an OPS of .669 and an sOPS+ of 84, which is 16% worse than average at that position.   He’s played 2B slightly more than 3B, so overall his OPS+ would be under 100 compared to the positions he’s played.   

Unlike OPS+, sOPS+ is not park-adjusted.    

13 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Sorry, but even with the excellent batting average, Alberto's got an OPS+ of 99.  I mean... the price was right for him, but he's literally below average.   

Not every guy needs to hit for power. I'd like to see him walk a bit more. If he can just match his K number that would be acceptable. He's only striking out 1 in 10 ABs. 

I think he'd be a very good #2 hitter!

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Not every guy needs to hit for power. I'd like to see him walk a bit more. If he can just match his K number that would be acceptable. He's only striking out 1 in 10 ABs. 

I think he'd be a very good #2 hitter!

Why #2?  I wouldn't want to give what is basically a league average bat that many appearances.