Adam Jones returning? Unlikely, but would it be bad?

MemorialStadKid

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to beat on the guy but, to me, he didn't seem real enthused out there in right.

Maybe I was seeing things.

Jones defensive metrics in RF weren't good either, but I think it's more a function of age/ability over lack of enthusiasm.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6368&position=OF#fielding

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is absolutely no role for Adam Jones on a rebuilding team like the Orioles. I see him eventually signing a one year deal with a contending team. Once reality sets in, if it hasn't already, Jones will sign and become the part-time player he is at this point of his career. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is absolutely no role for Adam Jones on a rebuilding team like the Orioles. I see him eventually signing a one year deal with a contending team. Once reality sets in, if it hasn't already, Jones will sign and become the part-time player he is at this point of his career. 

No baseball role... and probably for more money than he is worth to us. But I could see him as a stellar clubhouse leader. Better than Chris Davis as he was talking to Roch earlier this week. But Adam's ship has sadly sailed for us.

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think it depends on if Elias sees Stewart as an everyday player nor not. Diaz or Hays wont be ready by the ASB, at the earliest. If he sees Stewart as just AAAA filler, he might opt to sign Jones for a year. 

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

A below average arm in right field means a lot of singles get stretched into doubles.   That does not help the O's pitchers.   Stewart in left I can live with.  His weak arm hurts the team in right.  That is not just Stewart.  That is any weak arm in right.

I noticed that Fangraphs rated his arm a 50.   https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-32-prospects-baltimore-orioles/.   It’s not like he’s Mountcastle out there.   He played 88 games in RF for Norfolk this season.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I noticed that Fangraphs rated his arm a 50.   https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-32-prospects-baltimore-orioles/.   It’s not like he’s Mountcastle out there.   He played 88 games in RF for Norfolk this season.   

Stewart’s thing is he has a decent arm but would often rush throws or have poor footwork. That’s improved some, I would prefer him in left though, it’s not a RF arm for me and I watched him out there a lot in Norfolk video.

59 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Stewart’s thing is he has a decent arm but would often rush throws or have poor footwork. That’s improved some, I would prefer him in left though, it’s not a RF arm for me and I watched him out there a lot in Norfolk video.

Oh, I don’t doubt that.    You want a 55-60 arm for RF if you have one.   

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

How do you grade Hays and Diaz’s arm in RF?

17 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

How do you grade Hays and Diaz’s arm in RF?

Hays is a strong 60 which is good not great for RF, great anywhere else in the OF. Diaz is a touch less, probably a 55 which is solid in RF and good elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Hays is a strong 60 which is good not great for RF, great anywhere else in the OF. Diaz is a touch less, probably a 55 which is solid in RF and good elsewhere.

What was Markakis in his prime?   Roughly for comparison 

Archived