Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Would like to remind everyone that the plan has already been stated. He'll get a chance for awhile and then Elias will "intervene", whatever that means, and then he'll get more of a chance after that. Then and only then after that fails should we be even faintly expecting a release. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Would like to remind everyone that the plan has already been stated. He'll get a chance for awhile and then Elias will "intervene", whatever that means, and then he'll get more of a chance after that. Then and only then after that fails should we be even faintly expecting a release. 

You have to admit, so far this is even worse than last year.    .700 OPS — barely tolerable.   .539 OPS — not tolerable, but maybe wait it out a little while.   .190 OPS with >50% K rate — throw up your hands and give up?

Pretty simply, the worse he does, the shorter the leash.    I don’t think the leash is six games short, but 20 games might do it at the current level of ineptitude.    As always, I’m hoping something changes and it doesn’t come to that.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but Davis made the Drudge Report under the title "Baseball’s Worst Hitter Still Hasn’t Hit Bottom" thanks to a Wall Street Journal piece on his struggles.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/baseballs-worst-hitter-still-hasnt-hit-bottom-11554465853

I'm planning on writing something up today or tomorrow on my thoughts after watching him yesterday and some interesting things observed before his interview.

• Upvote 4

Still Awaiting First Hit Of 2019, Chris Davis Nears Another Embarrassing MLB Record

Just when you thought Davis’ issues couldn’t get any worse, it turns out the one-time slugger is just a few games away from potentially setting another Major League low. His 0-for-38 streak dating back to last season leaves him just 11 outs away from tying the worst slump in MLB history. Former San Francisco Giants infielder Eugenio Velez went 46 straight at bats without a hit bridging the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But it explains everything!   Put Davis on the DL pronto!

The one enjoyment we get from this team is mocking Davis' ineptitude at baseball. Don't take that away from us. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

The one enjoyment we get from this team is mocking Davis' ineptitude at baseball. Don't take that away from us. 

You should change that to ineptitude at batting.  I still think he's pretty good in the field.

3 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

You should change that to ineptitude at batting.  I still think he's pretty good in the field.

Unless he could somehow simultaneously play all first and second base by himself - thus allowing the team a fourth outfielder - while occasionally sneaking over to shortstop, I don't think his glove can really hide that .000 average and enormous K rate...

I am so sick of hearing about Chris Davis and how bad he sucks. However, i was thinking...and i apologize if this has already been brought up in one of the 12 Chris Davis sucks threads. But, is there anything in his contract that says that he can't be demoted. Or what happens if they DFA him. Obviously no one would pick him up. What if they were to do so, and he just said Nope! Don't want to do that, and decided to retire? Would we then be required to pay the rest of the contract? I'd give him 75 at bats in AAA, and if he is under 250, send him to AA. Another 75 at bats, under 250, A. Maybe that's not the message the Orioles want to send. Just spit balling here

4 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Unless he could somehow simultaneously play all first and second base by himself - thus allowing the team a fourth outfielder - while occasionally sneaking over to shortstop, I don't think his glove can really hide that .000 average and enormous K rate...

Also 1B is where teams often hide their worst defensive player who can still hit. So being a good defensive 1B isn't the same as a CF or SS who is good defensively.

Even if Davis was playing SS and scored well on defensive metrics, you couldn't justify playing him everyday because of his bat.

30 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

People on here overrate Davis on his defense. He is an average first baseman at best.  And I don't think too many first basemen stay in the big leagues because of their glove. 

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have to admit, so far this is even worse than last year.    .700 OPS — barely tolerable.   .539 OPS — not tolerable, but maybe wait it out a little while.   .190 OPS with >50% K rate — throw up your hands and give up?

Pretty simply, the worse he does, the shorter the leash.    I don’t think the leash is six games short, but 20 games might do it at the current level of ineptitude.    As always, I’m hoping something changes and it doesn’t come to that.

If he's hitless near the 20 game mark, then it can't continue. That would be asking too much from the fanbase. If there is truly no hope for even pathetic hitting, then they have to end it. 

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also 1B is where teams often hide their worst defensive player who can still hit. So being a good defensive 1B isn't the same as a CF or SS who is good defensively.

Even if Davis was playing SS and scored well on defensive metrics, you couldn't justify playing him everyday because of his bat.

Mark Belanger had a career .580 OPS so last season you could justify his batting if he was one of the two best fielding players of all time.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Mark Belanger had a career .580 OPS so last season you could justify his batting if he was one of the two best fielding players of all time.  

Baseball is not the same as when Belanger played.  And, he was one of my all-time favorite players.

• Upvote 1