Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I were completely rebuilding my swing I'd do it in the offseason after I put up a 549 OPS.

That and some sports psychology would have been better than lifting less weights and getting slimmer, maybe. Not sure if your workout routine has much to do with staring at called strike 3. 

4 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Best  reason to keep Davis at this point is this: He is doing so poorly that perhaps he will quit in return for a partial buyout of the remainder of his contract. 

If the Orioles release him, there is zero chance for them to avoid paying that ridiculous contract. Even if there’s only a 25 percent chance he retires, it may be worth waiting    The team could initiate talks with him retiring  

If I started performing very poorly at my job and did not improve I’d be shown the door. Besides I would not want to stay and make mistakes and embarrass myself and not carry my weight so I’d retire to avoid that. 

Davis isn't an employee, he's a contract worker with a very powerful union behind him and his contract.  There is no similiarity between his situation that that of an employee.  Any employee.  I think the best we can hope for is a restructuring in return for an early retirement with terms extremely favorable to Davis.  I don't expect that.  Given today's attention span, Davis will be forgotten 15 minutes after his last at-bat so there is very little downside to putting up with another four years of embarrassment given the compensation he'll receive for persevering.

6 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Davis isn't an employee, he's a contract worker with a very powerful union behind him and his contract.  There is no similiarity between his situation that that of an employee.  Any employee.  I think the best we can hope for is a restructuring in return for an early retirement with terms extremely favorable to Davis.  I don't expect that.  Given today's attention span, Davis will be forgotten 15 minutes after his last at-bat so there is very little downside to putting up with another four years of embarrassment given the compensation he'll receive for persevering.

There are people who go on TV to eat cockroaches while D-list TV stars make fun of you for a few $thousand.  Being a 25th man on the roster, hitting .160 and pulling down $20M a year, while random people sometimes boo... there'd be a line from OPACY to Nats Park to try to get that gig.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

That and some sports psychology would have been better than lifting less weights and getting slimmer, maybe. Not sure if your workout routine has much to do with staring at called strike 3. 

Looking somewhere else. Twice. Yesterday. Not the pitch.

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I've gotten to know a member or two of his extended family a very little bit. They're still a little bitter about how things went down from a media perspective. They swear the O's were never really in it. I don't recall if they said we never offered any contract or never offered anything within like $40 million, but my take away was the O's never even really tried so he didn't really have an opportunity to come home whether he wanted to or not.

For a few lines I thought you were talking about the Davis situation and I was like, Wow, there's an out (pun intended), we never really offered him a contract, or at least it's 40 million dollars less of a mistake than we thought....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

For a few lines I thought you were talking about the Davis situation and I was like, Wow, there's an out (pun intended), we never really offered him a contract, or at least it's 40 million dollars less of a mistake than we thought....

The Orioles botched the Nick deal.  And Scott Boras should never be allowed to have a meeting with ownership. Just throw that right out. You want to have your guy with the Os? You talk with the Executive management. Period. Otherwise try the other 29 teams. 

I don't think Davis was ever a hard worker at his craft

and I'm betting at this point he has completely checked out is sitting back, relaxing and laughing all the way to the bank. He won't quit (why would he), he'll be forgotten, only O's fans will remember that he was the worst MLB player of all time and he stole 161 million dollars from the franchise.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't think Davis was ever a hard worker at his craft

and I'm betting at this point he has completely checked out is sitting back, relaxing and laughing all the way to the bank. He won't quit (why would he), he'll be forgotten, only O's fans will remember that he was the worst MLB player of all time and he stole 161 million dollars from the franchise.

I'd totally take a 75-80% buyout to retire a few years early if I was Davis.  Would leave me plenty of money and I could spend the time with the family.

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He stole 161 million dollars from the franchise.

They gave him all that money. He didn't steal anything. He was a bad player when they gave it to him. They bid up the price on him against themselves. You can sit here all day and be hoppin' mad at this dude, but he did what I'd do, what you'd do. The Orioles are the organization that can't seem to get out of their own way most days.

He gave us a couple really great years too, don't forget that. 2013 was a good year for him. $161M isn't reserved for Ryan Flaherty anywhere.

• Thanks 2