Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said during the season, it looked like he quit the last couple of months.  There were some defensive plays where he put very little effort out.  I just can't sympathies with a guy that was doing something that was regarded as cheating, come backs from suspension and gets a monster contract (not his fault), and then seems to have little ambition to work extra hard to make changes in an approach that is obviously flawed.  

Personally I think he is done but I at least could root for the guy if I really felt he was willing to work on his craft.  I just get the sick feeling that he cheated the system to put the numbers up that he did and now is okay with collecting the money. 

I would not take much from the Sun article, I would think that Davis is going to keep things close to the vest regarding his plans (if any other than pumping iron).  He should talk to JD Martinez.  Martinez re-invented his swing before the 2014 season after being released by Houston.  Of course he was only 25 at the time. 

Davis needs a new approach to hitting, if not, 2019 will be a 2018 repeat.

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I don't begrudge CD or any player 3 weeks off after the end of the season, it's a pretty punishing 6 months.  The Orioles played their last game on September 30.  It's now October 24.  What's on the schedule today Chris?

He did take the last couple weeks of the regular season off as well.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:00 PM, foxfield said:

I have read my free articles for the month....is there anything enlightening in this?

Nothing enlightening

"I know there's a lot of work to do for me," Davis said Monday, when he was in Baltimore for the Players Philanthropy Fund's second annual Beltway Brews and Boards Celebrity Cornhole Tournament. "I sat down with a strength coach who I trust a whole lot, and I've dealt with in the past, and formulated a plan for what I think it's going to look like for me in the next few years, taking care of my body as I get a little older. But one of the biggest things for me is really, what can I do to kind of restart this thing and get back on track? Obviously, the last few years, my offensive production has declined and this past year was unacceptable. Extremely frustrating, extremely disappointing in so many different areas."

"There were obviously a number of guys the front office wanted a chance to look at and they wanted to see these guys play some big league games," Davis said. "For me, being an older guy, I knew I was going to be here for the foreseeable future, and not having a whole lot to prove, I think it was a good opportunity for me to sit back, take a deep breath, get to know these guys a little bit and just enjoy being around them. Enjoy the last few days of maybe Adam [Jones] as an Oriole and put a ribbon on a tough season not only for me but me personally. It was a good chance for me to step back and take a deep breath, and I appreciate Buck for giving me the opportunity to do that and really take it out of my hands. As a player, especially when you're healthy, you want to go out there and play. But you understand there's a big picture. It's bittersweet."

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

Davis should find the best batting instructor out there and pay him  whatever he wants to work with him over the winter. And I don't mean Scott Coolbaugh.

Bordy can teach the "buggy whip", the "butcher boy",  the "turn and burn", bunting, etc.  Why not?  He likes "the Crusher"!

btw - does anyone ever feel the slightest notion that the O's just don't listen to we experts here on this site.  Or if they listen, just do not agree with our many sources and ideas?  I feel like they just do not care!  Is it just me?  

Did anyone see the Rich Hill at bat in game 4 tonight?  First 2 strikes he let it fly (for him). Once he got down to 2 strikes he choked up and crouched over and actually made pretty solid contact grounding out to 3rd. Now if some 38 year old pitcher can do this you would think someone like Chris Davis could shorten up and put the ball in play much more than he does. It just shouldn’t be as hard as he makes it look.

1 hour ago, turtlebowl said:

Did anyone see the Rich Hill at bat in game 4 tonight?  First 2 strikes he let it fly (for him). Once he got down to 2 strikes he choked up and crouched over and actually made pretty solid contact grounding out to 3rd. Now if some 38 year old pitcher can do this you would think someone like Chris Davis could shorten up and put the ball in play much more than he does. It just shouldn’t be as hard as he makes it look.

Yeah, but, Rich Hill isn't even a major league hitter.  He is merely trying to keep a job.  Chris Davis has the luxury of a contract that pays him over 20 million a year.  And let's be honest.  The last thing in the world about Davis batting is that it is hard.  It's literally the easiest out in baseball. ??

Archived