Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

The other thing about Davis interviews is that he always finds some new slant on not taking responsibility for his awful performance.  “People criticize me and I have learned how to deal with that reality”  is a long way from  “My performance was historically awful, I just really sucked and I have to do much better to even deserve to be out on the field.”   He never says anything remotely like that. It is always about the supposed work he is putting in,  getting back to the player he was before, blah, blah, blah. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Otter said:

Not saying this to criticize or pile on, but does it seem like Davis gets sick a lot more than other players?  I know he has young kids, maybe he needs to get better at avoiding their germs during the season.?  I know I hardly ever got sick until I had kids...now I get sick from them all the time...

Sorry kids, Daddy can't hug you or tuck you in tonight because you might get me sick. That would go over well in most households. :P

13 hours ago, tntoriole said:

The other thing about Davis interviews is that he always finds some new slant on not taking responsibility for his awful performance.  “People criticize me and I have learned how to deal with that reality”  is a long way from  “My performance was historically awful, I just really sucked and I have to do much better to even deserve to be out on the field.”   He never says anything remotely like that. It is always about the supposed work he is putting in,  getting back to the player he was before, blah, blah, blah. 

Dude no. Now you are just piling on CD to pile on him. There’s a lot to complain about with CD but he absolutely owns up. Just a few examples, there are more. Plenty of players wouldn’t take the time to say these things in interviews.

From August interview:

“Mechanically this year I’ve gone back so many times to things I’ve done in the past that have proven to work and I don’t know if it’s age, I don’t know if it’s just a combination of things, but it has been a long year,”

From September interview:

"I have no clue what I'm doing at the plate," says the 32-year-old Davis

"Failure just follows me around daily," he says.

“I just don’t understand,” he said, his words muffled through his hands. “How can I go out there every day and just not succeed? It’s baffling to me.”

From a post-season interview:

"Obviously the strikeouts are up and the weak contact, whatever you want to call it, into the shift...," Davis said.

Edited by TheOtherRipken
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Dude no. Now you are just piling on CD to pile on him. There’s a lot to complain about with CD but he absolutely owns up. Just a few examples, there are more. Plenty of players wouldn’t take the time to say these things in interviews.

From August interview:

“Mechanically this year I’ve gone back so many times to things I’ve done in the past that have proven to work and I don’t know if it’s age, I don’t know if it’s just a combination of things, but it has been a long year,”

“I just don’t understand,” he said, his words muffled through his hands. “How can I go out there every day and just not succeed? It’s baffling to me.”

"Obviously the strikeouts are up and the weak contact, whatever you want to call it, into the shift...," Davis said.

Part of me thinks that if he flogged himself more on the podium, there’s a group that would point to his clear lack of self confidence as the reason for his struggles. “Needs to have a shorter memory.”

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Part of me thinks that if he flogged himself more on the podium, there’s a group that would point to his clear lack of self confidence as the reason for his struggles. “Needs to have a shorter memory.”

Not me...what I really want is for him to follow Eddie Murray’s example  and just shut up and play. 

18 hours ago, Otter said:

Not saying this to criticize or pile on, but does it seem like Davis gets sick a lot more than other players?  I know he has young kids, maybe he needs to get better at avoiding their germs during the season.?  I know I hardly ever got sick until I had kids...now I get sick from them all the time...

You got sick all the time because they were in daycare and were around a bunch of other kids and put everything in their mouth.  I doubt Chris has his kids in daycare.  More likely he has a nanny or multiple nannies. 

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

You got sick all the time because they were in daycare and were around a bunch of other kids and put everything in their mouth.  I doubt Chris has his kids in daycare.  More likely he has a nanny or multiple nannies. 

He still might have them in social groups, even if not in day care.    In any event, I haven’t really noticed him getting sick a lot, other than being allergic to hitting a baseball.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He still might have them in social groups, even if not in day care.    In any event, I haven’t really noticed him getting sick a lot, other than being allergic to hitting a baseball.  

Has he struck out looking in BP yet? Asking for a friend.

6 hours ago, Malike said:

Sorry kids, Daddy can't hug you or tuck you in tonight because you might get me sick. That would go over well in most households. :P

And yet, it is surprising how many of the clubhouse epidemics steam from that type of contact. The daycares are an incubator for modern plagues. 

18 hours ago, tntoriole said:

He really thinks he is still the guy who asked for 200 million -  he does. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Otter said:

I was thinking the same thing. I remember quite a few Roch Twitter posts over the years that Davis was sick and couldn't play. I don't remember seeing nearly as many for any other player. 

7 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

From August interview:

We just disagree.  Even in the interviews you selectively picked from, I still hear somebody explaining away the performance.  "...it has been a long year".  Yes, for those of us who had to pay good money to watch this garbage, ...not quite so long a year for somebody making 20 million. 

"Failure just follows me around daily."  This again does not sound like a personal responsibility statement.  It sounds like he attributes his problems are due to the black clouds of fate rather than his work ethic.  

"Obviously the strikeouts are up and the weak contact, whatever you want call it."   Again, he is projecting it onto the media, the fans "whatever WE want to call it."  Well, what I want to call it is garbage and unwillingness to change.    But it is certainly not a personal responsibility statement..."the strikeouts are up"  IS NOT  "I am striking out too much."   "the weak contact"  is not "I am not hitting the ball solidly."

It may seem to be splitting hairs, but I believe he has gotten his guaranteed millions and while he does well in putting on public airs about changing, doing better, but, in reality, remains far too satisfied as many big contract players have become once they sign their deals. 

• Upvote 1