Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

11 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I think you still need to admit, he does own his bad performance.  I can't imagine being in his situation, the pressure of the contract and being on that stage, and total inability to perform even to the level of the worst players in the league. If I was in that situation, it would totally break me.  Sounds like sort of classic, money does not always = happiness.

No, I don’t believe he does. And I don’t know that he is unhappy.  Maybe he is and that would be unfortunate given his blessings.  But you don’t know that he is “broken”  or even particularly unhappy, unless you are at home with him, his family, see how he handles being off from October till February when he has no pressures, no performance requirements whatsoever, doesn’t have a boss like most of us and knows that the boss he does have has absolutely no leverage over him at all given his contract.  Does he have any fun at all, do you think?  Or just misery?  Money doesn’t equal happiness but it is also not some huge albatross that condemns him to being miserable either.  

I see people every day in my work every day who are under ten zillion times more stress than Chris Davis could ever think of being.   He plays a game for a living. 

46 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I see people every day in my work every day who are under ten zillion times more stress than Chris Davis could ever think of being.   He plays a game for a living. 

I don't know what you do for a living, but I think the chances are slim that their jobs aren't broadcast on TV/radio for millions to see, have a few thousand people to come out and see them perform their jobs and are subject to being booed, having articles written about how terrible they are at their job, etc.  

I'm assuming you're in law enforcement or something similar, however I think we can agree that there are different kinds of stress.  Just because Davis plays a game for a living doesn't mean that there's not stress attached to it.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know what you do for a living, but I think the chances are slim that their jobs aren't broadcast on TV/radio for millions to see, have a few thousand people to come out and see them perform their jobs and are subject to being booed, having articles written about how terrible they are at their job, etc.  

I'm assuming you're in law enforcement or something similar, however I think we can agree that there are different kinds of stress.  Just because Davis plays a game for a living doesn't mean that there's not stress attached to it.  

Just throwing this out there from experience: Being stressed because the call you are going to/car you are stopping might be the reason you are dead or on national news being sued for doing your job vs. being boo'ed by people for not doing your job and being told "you're cut" from a team after making millions of dollars don't equal each other. 

If he is feeling stressed due to not "living up" to his contract, mechanical changes and analytics can only do so much. 

Has anyone seen any report of him seeing a sports psychologist? Maybe his struggle is mainly mental?

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Despite everything, if hes even a scintilla better than last year, then hes almost guaranteed to pass the 300 hr milestone (16 hr last year, sitting at 283.)

Only 147 men have done that. Id say that its more likely than not that he ends up in the top-100 all time (339 is the line currently.) I don’t think that its crazy for someone who is able to do that as a baseball player to be confident in their abilities, recent failures or struggles aside. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that it is less than 50/50 that Davis gets to 339 homers. But well see.     

o

339 ........ a number that is seared into my psyche, as that is the number of career home runs that Boog Powell hit.

Image result for Boog Powell Orioles small picture

o

18 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Just throwing this out there from experience: Being stressed because the call you are going to/car you are stopping might be the reason you are dead or on national news being sued for doing your job vs. being boo'ed by people for not doing your job and being told "you're cut" from a team after making millions of dollars don't equal each other. 

If he is feeling stressed due to not "living up" to his contract, mechanical changes and analytics can only do so much. 

Has anyone seen any report of him seeing a sports psychologist? Maybe his struggle is mainly mental?

Yeah, that's why I said different kinds of stress.

22 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't think his problems with bat speed and foot speed are mental.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope he is, I just don't see how.  Maybe he's a little better but...even a little better, he's still most likely sub 0.0 WAR.  

I'd like to be wrong, I think he ends up short of that 339 mark.  I think he's going to be just as bad as last year, maybe even a little worse.  If that's the case, he can't be on the team headed into July and no one else picks him up.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it is less than 50/50 that Davis gets to 339 homers.    But we’ll see.     

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is only 50/50 he gets to 300.

Regardless of where his number actually ends up, the larger point was that he's been able to accomplish a good amount of success and show periods of dominance at the ML level throughout his career.  It's not crazy to see (and for it to be rational) why he would have some degree of confidence in his abilities with respect to the sport of baseball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh I know folks in the public eye can be under stress. 

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

No, I don’t believe he does. And I don’t know that he is unhappy.  Maybe he is and that would be unfortunate given his blessings.  But you don’t know that he is “broken”  or even particularly unhappy, unless you are at home with him, his family, see how he handles being off from October till February when he has no pressures, no performance requirements whatsoever, doesn’t have a boss like most of us and knows that the boss he does have has absolutely no leverage over him at all given his contract.  Does he have any fun at all, do you think?  Or just misery?  Money doesn’t equal happiness but it is also not some huge albatross that condemns him to being miserable either.  

Good point.  He gets paid no matter what.  Probably the lack of any stress is causing him to be so awful.  No incentive to work on improving.  He looked pretty content at the end of the season sitting on the bench.