Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Yankees and the the Cardinals would be more telling, but I see what you're saying.

Drungo would probably know more about this particular aspect, but I believe that one of the reasons that the Cardinals were able to be such a perennial power back in the day is that there was no limit to how many AAA teams that a team could be affiliated with ........ so the Cardinals would have as many as 3 or 4 AAA-teams (AA was essentially AAA prior to 1946) at one time. That would allow them to stock a lot of players who belonged in the Major Leagues down there, and essentially play "keep away" with them by not allowing other teams access to them ........ again, prior to Marvin Miller and company coming along in the mid-to-late 60's, players had absolutely no say in where they would play, how much money they would make, and/or if and when they ever got promoted to the Majors. They (the players) were literally the property of the team that signed them for life. And if they were traded to another team, they then literally became the property of that new team for life.

o

That was one of the major sources of competitive imbalance in the pre-expansion era.  Some teams like the Cards and Dodgers built up huge, sprawling minor league systems.  Often raising the ire of the powers-that-be who clung to the idea that the minors were like the majors just in smaller towns.  Other teams, usually the ones with fewer resources, often owned by men with fewer business interests outside of baseball, tried to get by under the older model where they'd acquire talent they'd heard about on independent teams.

In 1950 the Senators had a bunch of affiliated (or loosely affiliated) minor league teams.  But more than half were Class D teams, the loose equivalent of rookie or Low A ball today.  Their highest team was Chattanooga in the AA Southern League.  That same year the Dodgers had three AAA teams, two AA teams and scores of teams at lower levels. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

Seems like Davis is more able now to let the pitch come in further before swinging. Something has sped up his swing?

He looks like he's got a better swing path now but it's just to compensate for his bat speed, which is down to complete dogs**t level now.  It's telling that I can't remember the last time one of his HRs went out to RF, his pull side.

Maybe if he made this adjustment in 2017, when he still had a little bit of bat speed, he would have salvaged a bit more time in his career.  At this point it's probably too little too late.

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

He looks like he's got a better swing path now but it's just to compensate for his bat speed, which is down to complete dogs**t level now.  It's telling that I can't remember the last time one of his HRs went out to RF, his pull side.

Maybe if he made this adjustment in 2017, when he still had a little bit of bat speed, he would have salvaged a bit more time in his career.  At this point it's probably too little too late.

You can plainly see how much faster Davis gets his wrists around in 2013 compared to now. 

Compare that to today's HR;

https://www.mlb.com/video/chris-davis-homers-7-on-a-fly-ball-to-center-field

His hands look like they're swinging through molasses these days.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Or to make it Orioles centric, how about Cal Ripken in the 2001 all star game?  ?

October 3, 1990

O's playing the last game of a losing season, vs Toronto.  I'm sitting in the mezzanine on the first base side at Memorial Stadium.

Blue Jays trail Boston by 1 game so they need to beat us and Boston has to lose to the White Sox to force a tie for the AL East title.

O's and Jays game is tight, 2-2.  Around the top of the 9th, they put a highlight up on the video screen.  Boston, behind Mike Boddicker, leads 3-1 in the 9th.  Against closer Jeff Reardon, the White Sox get two men on with two outs.  Ozzie Guillen hits a ball into the right field corner.  The Boston rightfielder makes a great sliding catch at the line to end the game and give the Red Sox the division title.

Our opponent, the Blue Jays, have just been eliminated.  Their season is over.  The game is 2-2 in the 9th.  Their closer, Tom Henke, retires the first two O's.  I'm sure the last thing the Blue Jays want after being eliminated is to play meaningless extra innings on the last day of the season.  It's over and they just want to go home.

In memory it was the first pitch but as usual baseball reference proves my memory wrong.  It was a 2-2 count to Mickey Tettleton.  Henke grooves a big fat pitch right down the middle, I'm sure he just wanted to get the season over with and go home.  Tettleton got all of it, a massive clout to right field.  Those pink mezzanine seats great seats to watch a home run go by, they were lower and closer to the action than even the front row of the club section at OPACY today.

Walkoff win for the O's, and the one game I've ever been to where I am sure the pitcher grooved one on purpose.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

October 3, 1990

O's playing the last game of a losing season, vs Toronto.  I'm sitting in the mezzanine on the first base side at Memorial Stadium.

Blue Jays trail Boston by 1 game so they need to beat us and Boston has to lose to the White Sox to force a tie for the AL East title.

O's and Jays game is tight, 2-2.  Around the top of the 9th, they put a highlight up on the video screen. Boston, behind Mike Boddicker, leads 3-1 in the 9th. Against closer Jeff Reardon, the White Sox get two men on with two outs. Ozzie Guillen hits a ball into the right field corner. The Boston rightfielder made a great sliding catch at the line to end the game, and give the Red Sox the division title.

Our opponent, the Blue Jays, have just been eliminated.  Their season is over.  The game is 2-2 in the 9th.  Their closer, Tom Henke, retires the first two O's.  I'm sure the last thing the Blue Jays want after being eliminated is to play meaningless extra innings on the last day of the season.  It's over and they just want to go home.

In memory it was the first pitch but as usual baseball reference proves my memory wrong.  It was a 2-2 count to Mickey Tettleton.  Henke grooves a big day pitch right down the middle, I'm sure he just wanted to get the season over with and go home.  Tettleton got all of it, a massive clout to right field.  Those pink mezzanine seats great seats to watch a home run go by, they were lower and closer to the action than even the front row of the club section at OPACY today.

Walkoff win for the O's, and the one game I've ever been to where I am sure the pitcher grooved one on purpose.

o

I saw that live when it happened, on national TV. The TV camera never was able to show the catch, because he slid into the corner of the park which had very limited viewing. In fact, there was some discrepancy as to whether or not he actually made the catch, as the announcers were pointing out that the 2nd-base umpire remained on the field for an additional minute or 2 while the Red Sox were celebrating.

o

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

October 3, 1990

O's and Jays game is tight, 2-2.  Around the top of the 9th, they put a highlight up on the video screen.  Boston, behind Mike Boddicker, leads 3-1 in the 9th.  Against closer Jeff Reardon, the White Sox get two men on with two outs.  Ozzie Guillen hits a ball into the right field corner.  The Boston rightfielder makes a great sliding catch at the line to end the game and give the Red Sox the division title.

In memory it was the first pitch but as usual baseball reference proves my memory wrong.  It was a 2-2 count to Mickey Tettleton.  Henke grooves a big fat pitch right down the middle, I'm sure he just wanted to get the season over with and go home.  Tettleton got all of it, a massive clout to right field.  Those pink mezzanine seats great seats to watch a home run go by, they were lower and closer to the action than even the front row of the club section at OPACY today.

If my memory is correct Jon Miller was speculating on the radio that night it could be Tettleton’s last game in Baltimore and sure enough it was. All about money I think.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I didn’t see the game today but a double and a single and his OPS is over .600.  I hope he keeps hitting and proves us all wrong about him.  

2 for 3 and  still only .189.  It's too bad that he dug himself into such a deep hole with his average, but wouldn't it be something if he hit something like his old self after the all star break. 

9 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

2 for 3 and  still only .189.  It's too bad that he dug himself into such a deep hole with his average, but wouldn't it be something if he hit something like his old self after the all star break. 

That would be cool and give me a reason to keep watching. I also think there is a decent chance Davis loses his timing during the all star break and this hot streak is short lived. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I didn’t see the game today but a double and a single and his OPS is over .600.  I hope he keeps hitting and proves us all wrong about him.  

The one hit looked like a pop up that fell into left field. Sometimes you get lucky and take it.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The one hit looked like a pop up that fell into left field. Sometimes you get lucky and take it.

That's one way for Davis  to beat the shift.

(Actually I hope they make the shift illegal also 4 outfielders like the Rays used against the Yankees today. )

3 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

That's one way for Davis  to beat the shift.

(Actually I hope they make the shift illegal also 4 outfielders like the Rays used against the Yankees today. )

Why??? 

Would you also make certain pitches illegal since they get an out when they are  thrown properly???

Are you for doing away with Pitch Framing??

Are you for not allowing more than two pitchers in a game???

Do you think Switch Hitting should be banned??

They shifted against Ted Williams and he still made the "HALL".  It is up tho the Neanderthal Thinking one style hitting players to adjust not to legislate against it.