Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Why??? 

Would you also make certain pitches illegal since they get an out when they are  thrown properly???

Are you for doing away with Pitch Framing??

Are you for not allowing more than two pitchers in a game???

Do you think Switch Hitting should be banned??

They shifted against Ted Williams and he still made the "HALL".  It is up tho the Neanderthal Thinking one style hitting players to adjust not to legislate against it.

Someone isn't up on his paleontology, dissing homo neanderthalensis like that.

• Upvote 1

I know they used the shift against Williams, I read his book My Turn at Bat.

However the  shift has gotten out of hand in today's game. Having these infielders  out of position , four outfielders, It takes away from the tradition and the majesty of the game. Actually I think I read MLB is thinking about banning the shift. 

(But perhaps this discussion  is better left for its own  thread as I don't want to distract or go off topic from the Chris Davis thread.)

3 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I know they used the shift against Williams, I read his book My Turn at Bat.

However the  shift has gotten out of hand in today's game. Having these infielders  out of position , four outfielders, It takes away from the tradition and the majesty of the game. Actually I think I read MLB is thinking about banning the shift. 

(But perhaps this discussion  is better left for its own  thread as I don't want to distract or go off topic from the Chris Davis thread.)

The Shift and Chris Davis's inability to get hits because of it and his inability to adjust to it all go hand in hand. IMO.

My proposal would be with the bases empty, allow a batter to run to either 1st or 3rd base on a ball in play, which they must declare prior to the first pitch.   In the event of a single or triple, at the conclusion of the play the player would migrate to the proper default base.  That would at least keep the 3rd baseman honest, of course this wouldn't prevent the SS/2B from migrating.    But at least this way left handed pull hitters aren't disadvantaged in ways that right handed pull hitters are not. 

Edited by GuidoSarducci

5 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

My proposal would be with the bases empty, allow a batter to run to either 1st or 3rd base on a ball in play, which they must declare prior to the first pitch.   In the event of a single or triple, at the conclusion of the play the player would migrate to the proper default base.  That would at least keep the 3rd baseman honest, of course this wouldn't prevent the SS/2B from migrating.    But at least this way left handed pull hitters aren't disadvantaged in ways that right handed pull hitters are not. 

I don't think right handed hitters should be disadvantaged by the greater number of right handed pitchers in the league.  To make things fair all pitching staffs should have an equal number of left and right handed pitchers and they should throw the same number of innings.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think right handed hitters should be disadvantaged by the greater number of right handed pitchers in the league.  To make things fair all pitching staffs should have an equal number of left and right handed pitchers and they should throw the same number of innings.

That has nothing to do with the rules of the game.   

Baseball is peculiar in that rules of the game are geared towards disadvantaging certain handedness    it would be like if the NFL decided to shift the hash marks to the left 10 yards so that right handed QBs would have more room on their natural side to complete a pass. 

Edited by GuidoSarducci

1 minute ago, GuidoSarducci said:

That has nothing to do with the rules of the game.   

Baseball is peculiar in that rules of the game are geared towards disadvantaging certain handedness    it would be like if the NFL decided to shift the hash marks to the left 10 yards so that right handed QBs would have more room on their natural side to complete a pass. 

Did you get what I was going for at all?

21 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

To make it simpler and preserve the historical tradition of the game, , why not just change the rulebook to say there must be two fielders on each side of 2nd base.  Also  no infielder can play deep into the outfield, and no outfielder can play the infield. 

3 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

To make it simpler and preserve the historical tradition of the game, , why not just change the rulebook to say there must be two fielders on each side of 2nd base.  Also  no infielder can play deep into the outfield, and no outfielder can play the infield. 

Or we could say that at the time of the pitch the pitcher must have his pivot foot on the pitchers plate, the catcher must be in the catchers box, and the other seven fielders must be in fair territory.  Oh wait, that is the rule.  Never mind.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Most of the shifts still have two fielders on each side of 2nd.  One may be an infielder and the other an Outfielder but there they are.