Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yep, I’m sexist you got me. Once again, never said she should not have been a candidate.  

Well you said Elias had a more qualified resume when he clearly did not. I am not saying she would have been a better GM I am just saying it is obvious her resume was much better. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Kim Ng has the resume of Elias?

Elias has pretty much done everything other than be a GM. I just can’t a see a 36 year old on the rise leaving a great organization if he thought he didn’t have a chance to succeed.

If he takes a job and is a failure he may never get another chance. 

She does not. She is a well credentialed old school MLB executive though. Just not the ground control. 

Just now, atomic said:

Well you said Elias had a more qualified resume when he clearly did not. I am not saying she would have been a better GM I am just saying it is obvious her resume was much better. 

For industry probably. Check off a lot of executive boxes. 

Just now, atomic said:

There's the resume, then there's the talking to former co-workers and supervisors, and then there's the interview.  I've seen plenty of job candidates who had the best resume and finished 7th on a slate of five people we interviewed.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Depends what you want, I suppose.   Ng was never a scout and never worked in player development.   She had some business-related jobs and then was an Asst. GM for the Yankees and Dodgers before going to work for MLB.     I suppose she has more front office experience than Elias, but perhaps less player evaluation/development experience, which can be pretty key for a GM.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There's the resume, then there's the talking to former co-workers and supervisors, and then there's the interview.  I've seen plenty of job candidates who had the best resume and finished 7th on a slate of five people we interviewed.

Corporate resumes are very different from entertainment industry ones as well.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if I accept that he does have a marginally better resume the truth of the matter is she went from coveted property to courtesy interview in a few years.  Not a lot of these jobs open up and mostly if you get offered one you take it.

TLC never got a full time GM gig and I'm betting he won't ever get another interview for one.

I don’t know if she was a coveted property or not. I don’t see a parallel with Elias.  

Tony LaCava was 50 years old. I see no comparison here at all. Elias is 36, working for perhaps the best organization in the sport. His career has skyrocketed in a short amount of time. He has experience working for an analytical organization. He is polished and for his age has a wealth of experience. He is still very young. 

Same thing happens in sports all the time. Coaches and front office members who are apart of winning organizations are looked at for jobs. I’m sure many qualified candidates have the misfortune of working for bad organizations and may not receive the same opportunities.

If I am second in charge for a top flight franchise I am not running for the first job that is offered to me if I don’t like it. I’m not Mike Elias so of course, I am just guessing here. If I was as skilled and as confident as he looks I would have faith another opportunity would arise if I did not like the Orioles job. Of course there are no guarantees in life. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends what you want, I suppose.   Ng was never a scout and never worked in player development.   She had some business-related jobs and then was an Asst. GM for the Yankees and Dodgers before going to work for MLB.     I suppose she has more front office experience than Elias, but perhaps less player evaluation/development experience, which can be pretty key for a GM.

You did a good job here explaining what I was getting at. 

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah front-office experience.  Making trades, signing players to contracts, stocking farm system with guys who can help the big club if necessary. Analytics.  Being in charge of the people who do player development and scouting.  She had a better resume clearly. 

Probably why the team is so terrible this year is Elias is learning on the job.  He forgot that the teams needs guys at triple A that can help the team during the year.  

Hard to get a job in MLB as GM if you are a minority or a woman.   

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if I accept that he does have a marginally better resume the truth of the matter is she went from coveted property to courtesy interview in a few years.  Not a lot of these jobs open up and mostly if you get offered one you take it.

TLC never got a full time GM gig and I'm betting he won't ever get another interview for one.

TLC never deserved one. But Alex got him a golden exit payment.

37 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah front-office experience.  Making trades, signing players to contracts, stocking farm system with guys who can help the big club if necessary. Analytics.  Being in charge of the people who do player development and scouting.  She had a better resume clearly. 

Probably why the team is so terrible this year is Elias is learning on the job.  He forgot that the teams needs guys at triple A that can help the team during the year.  

I’m not in the mood to argue with you.    But do you have information that Ng was responsible for trades, signing players to contracts, stocking the farm clubs or analytics?    Or are you just guessing?    I’m not saying she did or she didn’t, because I certainly don’t know.   If there’s one thing we know in Baltimore, it’s that a front office title can mean a lot of different things.   

1 hour ago, atomic said:

She clearly had a better resume with regards to the things you're looking for in a GM.  Most notably that she's not Mike Elias.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

The team is no worse than it was last year.  25 W's on this date in 2018. It is a lot cheaper.

44 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

She clearly had a better resume with regards to the things you're looking for in a GM.  Most notably that she's not Mike Elias.

I never said she was a better choice than Elias just that she had a better resume which is obvious.