Is Steve Wilkerson the next JD Martinez?

AceKing

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 7/13) )))))) [GAME ONE]

NUMBER 8

STEPHEN BEATY WILKERSON

STEPHEN BEATY WILKERSON

STEPHEN BEATY WILKERSON

STEPHEN BEATY WILKERSON

STEPHEN BEATY WILKERSON

STEPHEN BEATY WILKERSON

STEPHEN BEATY WILKERSON

o

o

Of Wilkerson's 8 Home Runs this season, today was the first against a left-handed pitcher.

For the season, he is batting .100 (5-for-50) with a .167 OBP  and a .327 OPS against southpaws.

SOURCES: )) Roch Kubatko and Baseball-Reference.com

o

Arguably the most entertaining half inning of baseball for the O's this year. He made the Angels look so silly. Players are so keyed on 90's pitching they have trouble adjusting. Back in the day, it seemed managers liked to have different look pitchers during a series, not as much anymore. More recently BS seemed to search for different look guys, knuckleballers, side armers...I don't know. But, Wilkerson certainly gave me one of few smiles this season!!! Thank you!! (It seemed from the replay, the Angels fans enjoyed it too.)

So I could be wrong, but I looked at the list of non-pitchers pitching, and this might be the last time a random position player came in to get a save in the majors.  1927, Jimmy Dykes, for the Philadelphia A's.  Dykes went on to become the modern Orioles' first manager in 1954.  Of course 1927 was about 35 years before the Save was a thing so nobody made any special fuss about it.  

There have been other times since then where someone listed by bb-ref as a non-pitcher got a save, but I think all of those were players who were pitchers who then completely converted to a position or vice-versa.  They weren't just utility infielders or shortstops or something who got tapped to pitch an inning.  Willie Smith is the gray area, since he pitched some throughout his career in the 60s, and was really a two-way player.

Edit: The Sun's story says Wilkerson was the first position player to ever earn a save, and that's clearly not true.  But they probably use the very strict definition of player who started the game at another position, during the era where saves were an official stat.

• Thanks 1