2019 New York Yankees

OFFNY

o

I'm not going to be overly concerned (unless and until) the Astros are down 3 games to 0 ........ maybe I'll be concerned if it is 3 games to 1. Houston's pitching is that good, that even if they lose a game or 2 early in the series, they are strong enough to still be favored (and expected to) to win the next game and get themselves right back into the series.

One reason why I like Best-of-7 series better than Best-of-5 series is that a team is less likely to win via a large dose of luck ........ not that the Yankees are/were necessarily lucky (they are VERY good, and they are the biggest threat to keeping the Astros out of another World Series appearance), but I do believe that the Astros are better, and hence I still believe that it is more likely that they will wind up on top as American League champions when all is said and done. I would still put the odds at about 57% - 43% that the Astros will win this ALCS. If the Yankees win tonight to go up 2 games to 0, I still won't be panicked, but I would then switch the odds of winning the series to them (probably something like 60% to 40% in favor of the Yankees.)

o

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 5:20 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I'm not going to be overly concerned (unless and until) the Astros are down 3 games to 0 ........ maybe I'll be concerned if it is 3 games to 1. Houston's pitching is that good, that even if they lose a game or 2 early in the series, they are strong enough to still be favored (and expected to) to win the next game and get themsleves right back into the series.

One reason why I like Best-of-7 series better than Best-of-5 series is that a team is less likely to win via a large dose of luck ........ not that the Yankees are/were necessarily lucky (they are VERY good, and they are the biggest threat to keeping the Astros out of another World Series appearance), but I do believe that the Astros are better, and hence I still believe that it is more likely that they will wind up on top as American League champions when all is said and done. I would still put the odds at about 57% - 43% that the Astros will win this ALCS. If the Yankees win tonight to go up 2 games to 0, I still won't be panicked, but I would then switch the odds of winning the series to them (probably something like 60% to 40% in favor of the Yankees.)

o

o

All of that said, they had BETTER win tonight with Verlander going against Paxton. ) ;)

o

What worries me is the Yankees were hammering Grienke before the game even got out of hand.  They were hitting everything hard even when it was only 1-0.  We will see how they do tonight against Verlander but that lineup is very healthy and very well rested bc of their scrimmage against the Twins.  And Astros offense has not been great this month.  

o

I'm not going to be overly concerned (unless and until) the Astros are down 3 games to 0 ........ maybe I'll be concerned if it is 3 games to 1. Houston's pitching is that good, that even if they lose a game or 2 early in the series, they are strong enough to still be favored (and expected to) to win the next game and get right back into the series.

One reason why I like Best-of-7 series better than Best-of-5 series is that a team is less likely to win via a large dose of luck ........ not that the Yankees are/were necessarily lucky (they are VERY good, and they are the biggest threat to keeping the Astros out of another World Series appearance), but I do believe that the Astros are better, and hence I still believe that it is more likely that they will wind up on top as American League champions when all is said and done. I would still put the odds at about 57% - 43% that the Astros will win this ALCS. If the Yankees win tonight to go up 2 games to 0, I still won't be panicked, but I would then switch the odds of winning the series to them (probably something like 60% to 40% in favor of the Yankees.)

o

On 10/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, OFFNY said:

o

All of that said, they had BETTER win tonight with Verlander going against Paxton. ) ;)

o

o

I suspect that the Astros and their fans are breathing a huge sigh of relief after that 11-inning, walk-off win on a Carlos Correa Home Run. 

o

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Aaron Boone will ‘Unleash the Bullpen,’ Skip traditional Starter in Game 4

(By Bradford William Davis)

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-aaron-boone-alcs-game-4-opener-20191014-c5xtqyrajzejfbg6orxe6jhn74-story.html

o

o

(ALCS, Game Three)

HOUSTON ASTROS

George Chelston Springer III - CF

Jose Altuve - 2B

Michael Charles Brantley, Jr. - LF

Alexander Davis "A.D." Bregman - 3B

Yuliesky Gurriel Castillo - 1B

Yordan Alvarez - DH

Carlos Javier Correa Oppenheimer - SS

William Joshua Reddick - RF

Martin Benjamin Maldonado Valdes - C

Gerrit Alan Cole - RHP )) (20-5, 2.50 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the Major Leagues Leagues in Strikeouts (326), Strikeouts-Per-9 Innings (13.818), and ERA+ (185), and Led the American League in ERA (2.50) and FIP (2.64)

NEW YORK YANKEES

David John "A.J." LeMahieu - 1B

Aaron James "A.J." Judge - RF

Brett Gardner - LF

Edwin Encarnacion - DH

Gleyber David Torres Castro - 2B

Mariekson Gregorius - SS

Gary Sanchez - C

Giovanny Urshela - 3B

Aaron Hicks - CF

Luis Severino - RHP )) (1-1, 1.50 ERA)

https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

I'm watching on the internet.  There is NOTHING like listening to the Skankees losing a game in either Polish or Russian or whatever Slavic language it is.  No John Sterling, Suzy Waldman, or Joe Buckedup on FS1.  Just Janek, or Stefan, or Yuri.  Maybe a Vlad.  It's hard to tell.

o

I'm not going to be overly concerned (unless and until) the Astros are down 3 games to 0 ........ maybe I'll be concerned if it is 3 games to 1. Houston's pitching is that good, that even if they lose a game or 2 early in the series, they are strong enough to still be favored (and expected to) to win the next game and get themselves right back into the series.

o

o

OK, the Astros won't be down 3 Games to 0, or even 3 Games to 1 ........ that was my biggest concern, of them getting sandbagged by a hot, fortuitous Yankees team before they knew what hit them.

o

15 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

God I hate the Yankees.    Then again, I hate the Pirates due to 1971 and 1979.  If I hear "We are family" on the radio, I quickly change the channel.  Thankfully, that horrible song doesn't get played much anymore.   

Yooouuuuuu asked for it.  

And it will 40 years ago tomorrow that they clinched the Series.  With the Steelers having already won Super Bowl XIII, Pittsburgh also became the second city to win both the Super Bowl and the World Series in the same year, with the New York Jets and the New York Mets winning titles in 1969.  The O's were responsible for both.  Ugh.