Thoughts on Kevin Brown?

Philip

I haven’t heard him very much but what I’ve heard so far is not appealing. He doesn’t have a dramatic voice either in tone or style, and he doesn’t say much of interest. But I’ve only heard a little of him.

what do you folks say who’ve heard more of him?

Right now he is sitting at 0 WAR. Too SSS. Have to give him more time. May be used to working alone in the booth. Had trouble working in the color announcers comments. Listened to him with Dave Johnson in the booth the other night and didn't feel the mesh. Right now he is just another generic ESPN announcer with no Orioles ties. Don't care about the Syracuse Nationals or curling in Minnesota. We'll see.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

Right now he is sitting at 0 WAR. Too SSS. Have to give him more time. May be used to working alone in the booth. Had trouble working in the color announcers comments. Listened to him with Dave Johnson in the booth the other night and didn't feel the mesh. Right now he is just another generic ESPN announcer with no Orioles ties. Don't care about the Syracuse Nationals or curling in Minnesota. We'll see.

He was having some fun with Steve Melewski on the Orioles.com stream yesterday.

I also noticed he's not a straight homer like Hunter. He's just a guy that did his research on the O's and seems like he'll call it like it is most of the time. The vibe is kind of like an ESPN game in that he's an outsider talking about the O's. Except he's way more educated about the O's than those guys. Dude did his homework for sure.

End of the day, Joe Angel's shoes are unfairly immense. With only 80 games, he'll get worked in pretty slowly with Hunter et al. So far, though, I like what I hear.

Compared to Hunter he's fine, compared to Thorne? Its hard to reach that level. Im ok with him and I like Dave Johnson doing the color commentary, very honest in his scouting assessment of players. Not a cheerleader like Bordick, who i find mostly useless doing color.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

At least it’s not Michael Reghi. 

Haven’t heard enough of Brown yet to form an opinion. 

Reghi improved alot to where his last year or two I actually liked his commentary and enthusiasm. He just needed experience calling games and it took a few years. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

Reghi improved alot to where his last year or two I actually liked his commentary and enthusiasm. He just needed experience calling games and it took a few years. 

Having him take over in 1997 for Mel Proctor was terrible.  I loved watching that team, but he ruined the television experience for me. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Having him take over in 1997 for Mel Proctor was terrible.  I loved watching that team, but he ruined the television experience for me. 

It was a steep drop off. I didnt like his first year either and probably not his second. 

Perhaps the problem isn't Brown but who he is paired with.  When I hear Dave Johnson I immediately switch to another channel.   Hunter I can stand only if I really want to catch up on what the O's are doing.   I like the Nationals' radio guys and find myself listening for a while even though my first instinct is to switch channels as I am not a Nats fan.   The other day I found myself engaged listening to a Padres broadcast.  They were glowing all over Manny and I found their So Cal baseball talk entertaining.    The weirdest was last week while watching a Yankee/O's spring training game on MLB network. I don't know the main broadcasters, both former players; but they had Willie Randolph as their guest and he was fantastic..  You could tell he respects the game and all who played it.   I watched the entire game just because I loved listening to his stories.   He seemed to be rooting for everyone on the field to do well, even the O's players; while the main two announcers just ignored anyone who wasn't a Yankee.   I can see why Willie has been a coach and manager .  

You'd think with the O's being as bad as they are they would get some good broadcasters in here to light some interest.  With MLB games in all markets available on MLB TV, MLB Game Day Audio, and Sirius/XM there are other options.  Hopefully Brown will be good.  

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Compared to Hunter he's fine, compared to Thorne? Its hard to reach that level. Im ok with him and I like Dave Johnson doing the color commentary, very honest in his scouting assessment of players. Not a cheerleader like Bordick, who i find mostly useless doing color.  

Compared to Hunter, he’s probably Bob Ueker. 

My favorite Oriole was Joe Angel.  He's been the only constant through the winning and losing.  Before that, it was Jon Miller.  I also don't mind Jim Hunter.  Sure, he's very positive no matter what.  But nothing says "Orioles baseball" like hearing Jim Hunter's voice and a terrible Schmidt Old Time commercial.

It's really not fair to compare Kevin Brown to anyone, as he's inheriting the position of someone who had a strong bond with his audience built over decades.  No way to have that when you first start out.

He does seem very personable, and I thought he had good rapport with Steve M.  I'm keeping an open mind.

1 hour ago, SouthRider said:

Perhaps the problem isn't Brown but who he is paired with.  When I hear Dave Johnson I immediately switch to another channel.   Hunter I can stand only if I really want to catch up on what the O's are doing.   I like the Nationals' radio guys and find myself listening for a while even though my first instinct is to switch channels as I am not a Nats fan.   The other day I found myself engaged listening to a Padres broadcast.  They were glowing all over Manny and I found their So Cal baseball talk entertaining.    The weirdest was last week while watching a Yankee/O's spring training game on MLB network. I don't know the main broadcasters, both former players; but they had Willie Randolph as their guest and he was fantastic..  You could tell he respects the game and all who played it.   I watched the entire game just because I loved listening to his stories.   He seemed to be rooting for everyone on the field to do well, even the O's players; while the main two announcers just ignored anyone who wasn't a Yankee.   I can see why Willie has been a coach and manager .  

You'd think with the O's being as bad as they are they would get some good broadcasters in here to light some interest.  With MLB games in all markets available on MLB TV, MLB Game Day Audio, and Sirius/XM there are other options.  Hopefully Brown will be good.  

I like Dave alright, he's not bad. Only thing I don't like is he's very old school. Like dinosaur level old school.

Haven't heard Brown at all yet.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

I like Dave alright, he's not bad. Only thing I don't like is he's very old school. Like dinosaur level old school.

Haven't heard Brown at all yet.

I haven’t heard Brown but I look forward to doing so.    Dave Johnson can be pretty perceptive and he’s not shy about expressing his opinions, which I like.    He has a tendency to harp on points and his voice kind of grates on me at times, but overall he’s not a terrible color guy.