Thoughts on Kevin Brown?

Philip

39 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

I find Brown to be boring.  He only talks about the game going on and stats.  I like a few stories and anecdotal information, the way Palmer does it.  Lots of dead air between Hunter and Brown.  Let’s face it these games are boring and I don’t care that the Seattle second baseman takes a 15% longer lead on the bases than the average player and that kind of thing. 

Vin Scully had a few interesting stories.

Have you guys heard Eric Nadel?  He's the Rangers radio broadcaster.  

He is 

Awesome

Magical

Awesome

Zealous

Interesting

Not like any other broadcaster

GREAT!!!!

AMAZING.  Eric Nadel is just. A. MAZE.  ING.  

Tony should just turn this to Rangershangout.com and we should all bask in the glow of Eric Nadel's words every day.  We'd be better humans for it.

32 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I mean...he’s a broadcaster. It’s kind of his job.

Yes but it’s not there job to talk right over the action on the field. I was listening to the Mariner broadcast of game two and it was Unbearable. They had 3 guys in the booth and it was like listening to 1000 cats being electrocuted.

15 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Yes but it’s not there job to talk right over the action on the field. I was listening to the Mariner broadcast of game two and it was Unbearable. They had 3 guys in the booth and it was like listening to 1000 cats being electrocuted.

Are you talking about TV or radio?  Big difference. 

8 hours ago, fansince71 said:

TV it was Ryan rowland smith, Dan Wilson and Mike Blowers. I had to mute it.

Ok. 

There is a big difference between radio and TV. I want my radio play by play to be descriptive. On TV it is not the same. 

Broadcasters like Scully and Summeral had many strengths. Sometimes it was just be quiet or limit their words. We can see the moment unlike radio.  

I’m warming to Brown. He’s certainly a different taste – lacks Jim’s enthusiasm and connection, obviously, but that’s been cultivated over two+ decades – but it’s growing to become a pleasing one. A great voice to listen to when lazing on the deck in the backyard on a Sunday afternoon. And the more I listen to him, a pretty good one for the other days/times of the week.

I’ll be interested to see (hear?) how he evolves over the course of his tenure here. Promising thus far.

Brown had a hilarious exchange with Dave Johnson tonight. 

In the top of the 4th he said if Tom Emanski ever makes another instructional video this game will not be used. Then Dave Johnson said it’s always good to see Fred McGriff. Then Brown said you too Dave Johnson could be apart of the back to back to back......

On 6/18/2019 at 11:18 AM, Frobby said:

So, I’ve been listening to Brown when he’s broadcasting while I’m driving.    My biggest problem with him is that he sounds, well, homogenized.    Very much like a national broadcaster who is completely dispassionate about who wins or loses.    At the same time, he’s fundamentally sound in other areas.    He describes the action and the setting well, he makes good use of statistical information, and he does a good job of interacting with his color man.    

I think mostly what he needs is more time, to develop a relationship with the team, the city and its fans and project that in his broadcasting.     

Just needs a few lessons...

• 2 months later...

So........ Kevin Brown called his last game “this season” for O’s radio.   He has been teamed with Ben McDonald these last two nights for the first time this year.   It was a good pairing, certainly better than his pairings with Gregg Olson and Steve Johnson.

They signed off hoping to work together again next year and I assume they weren’t speaking of SEC baseball contests.

I don’t have MASN so I listen to the radio crews and I grew to enjoy both Brown and  Steve Melewski as play by play announcers this year.  IMO teaming Brown & Melewski as a dual play by play crew would be a winner.   Much as in the days of Angel & Manfra,  Miller & Marr,  Brown & Melewski bring individual and complimentary strengths to the booth.   Yes,  Brown has that more “homogenized” “national” tone, with a bit of the hipster ESPN snarky sense of humor but that’s OK.  If it engages a younger demographic that’s a good thing although with radio?! not sure that’s possible?.   Melewski on the other hand is a Baltimore guy and carries with him a fans desire that the Orioles do well but with the acquired knowledge of the minor league pipeline that will keep the listening public engaged for the future.   They both seem to have a grasp of newer statistical methodology and a willingness to use it.  

Not sure if either of them want full time gigs on O’s radio but I would like to see them used, and used together, as much as possible next year.

Edited by JimGinSP
Spelling