Thoughts on Kevin Brown?

Philip

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This makes me think of Johnny Holiday who does radio for Terps basketball and football. Very good voice and the only radio voice I've ever known for the Terps. He is getting up in age and I have to imagine he will retire in the five years.

I knew he had been around forever but I had no idea how old Johnny Holliday was.   He's 81!

On 3/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, WillyM said:

I have not heard Kevin Brown.  Had no idea that anyone by that name was working as a broadcast announcer for the Orioles.

There have been three major league players named Kevin Brown, including one who pitched for the Orioles in 1995.  Is the announcer any one of those three?

None of the above. 

On 3/22/2019 at 2:37 PM, SouthRider said:

Perhaps the problem isn't Brown but who he is paired with.  When I hear Dave Johnson I immediately switch to another channel.   Hunter I can stand only if I really want to catch up on what the O's are doing.   I like the Nationals' radio guys and find myself listening for a while even though my first instinct is to switch channels as I am not a Nats fan.   The other day I found myself engaged listening to a Padres broadcast.  They were glowing all over Manny and I found their So Cal baseball talk entertaining.    The weirdest was last week while watching a Yankee/O's spring training game on MLB network. I don't know the main broadcasters, both former players; but they had Willie Randolph as their guest and he was fantastic..  You could tell he respects the game and all who played it.   I watched the entire game just because I loved listening to his stories.   He seemed to be rooting for everyone on the field to do well, even the O's players; while the main two announcers just ignored anyone who wasn't a Yankee.   I can see why Willie has been a coach and manager .  

You'd think with the O's being as bad as they are they would get some good broadcasters in here to light some interest.  With MLB games in all markets available on MLB TV, MLB Game Day Audio, and Sirius/XM there are other options.  Hopefully Brown will be good.  

The Yanks had Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill with homer Michael Kaye last week when I caught a Yankee game.

When I caught a quick listen to Brown tonight, he reminded me of Joe Buck in his intonation.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The Yanks had Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill with homer Michael Kaye last week when I caught a Yankee game.

When I caught a quick listen to Brown tonight, he reminded me of Joe Buck in his intonation.

I imagine eternal punishment in the afterlife would be listening to the above three announce Yankees games nonstop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I’ve been listening to Brown when he’s broadcasting while I’m driving.    My biggest problem with him is that he sounds, well, homogenized.    Very much like a national broadcaster who is completely dispassionate about who wins or loses.    At the same time, he’s fundamentally sound in other areas.    He describes the action and the setting well, he makes good use of statistical information, and he does a good job of interacting with his color man.    

I think mostly what he needs is more time, to develop a relationship with the team, the city and its fans and project that in his broadcasting.     

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

So, I’ve been listening to Brown when he’s broadcasting while I’m driving.    My biggest problem with him is that he sounds, well, homogenized.    Very much like a national broadcaster who is completely dispassionate about who wins or loses.    At the same time, he’s fundamentally sound in other areas.    He describes the action and the setting well, he makes good use of statistical information, and he does a good job of interacting with his color man.    

I think mostly what he needs is more time, to develop a relationship with the team, the city and its fans and project that in his broadcasting.     

I imagine he'd have a heart attack if he was passionate about wins and losses this year. That can't be healthy.

I'm a fan of Brown as an O's broadcaster.  I find him likable with a good sense of humor and technically proficient.  And he's done a nice job of blending with Hunter - which doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to do.      

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Isn't that kinda the attitude for the Orioles in general in 2019? I know the guys on the field always want to win, but the media all understand that the front office's priority is far from winning right now. I imagine when/if the Orioles are good and Brown is still here we will see a bit more excitement from him.

21 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

He isn't great but decent.Dave Johnson needs to say less and tell me more.He likes to keep talking and on the radio kind of tough to follow the action when he is running off on something.

I actually enjoy listening to Johnson thinking along with the pitcher and catcher about pitch sequence.   I don’t always agree with him but it’s intetesting to hear his thought process.   He’s a guy who got by in the majors with mediocre stuff, so he had to think things through, and it shows.  

• Upvote 1

I find Brown to be boring.  He only talks about the game going on and stats.  I like a few stories and anecdotal information, the way Palmer does it.  Lots of dead air between Hunter and Brown.  Let’s face it these games are boring and I don’t care that the Seattle second baseman takes a 15% longer lead on the bases than the average player and that kind of thing. 

Edited by drdelaware