Sat July 26 LAA @ BAL

porterhouse

You make it seem like he isn't trying.

I feel sorry for him because it has become clear that he is being asked to do something he just isn't ready to.

Liz had terrible command and mechanics in the minors. I don't know why people expected him to come up here and get big league hitters out when he couldn't throw strikes in the minors.

I'm sure he is trying, and it might be that he is trying too much. Many young pitchers are accused of trying to much.

But when a guy is called up into the rotation and pitches to a 7.47 era and walks 32 guys in 47 innings, that is quite disconcerting. Don't forget he walked 23 in 24.2 inning last season.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I missed the last couple of games. Was Fahey injured or something? I don't see why this guy is playing over Fahey unless it's a late game defensive replacement. I'm actually coming around on Fahey. He's nothing fantastic, but he is less frustrating to watch than the others.

He's not hurt, at least not that I know of.

Trembley seems to love Juan Castro for some reason.:confused:

I missed the last couple of games. Was Fahey injured or something? I don't see why this guy is playing over Fahey unless it's a late game defensive replacement. I'm actually coming around on Fahey. He's nothing fantastic, but he is less frustrating to watch than the others.

No it's just the Birdland tradition... you don't know it?... Well basicially we make stupid mistakes.

I'm sure he is trying, and it might be that he is trying too much. Many young pitchers are accused of trying to much.

But when a guy is called up into the rotation and pitches to a 7.47 era and walks 32 guys in 47 innings, that is quite disconcerting. Don't forget he walked 23 in 24.2 inning last season.

Yeah, but he had an unimpressive 4.05 ERA in Norfolk, an environment that heavily favors pitchers.

He walked a ton of guys in the minors, and pitchers walk rates generally increase when they first go to the majors, so I don't really get what you were expecting?

I didn't expect much more from Liz, why would he all of a sudden be able to throw strikes in the Majors when he couldn't in the minors?:confused:

Yeah, but he had an unimpressive 4.05 ERA in Norfolk, an environment that heavily favors pitchers.

He walked a ton of guys in the minors, and pitchers walk rates generally increase when they first go to the majors, so I don't really get what you were expecting?

I didn't expect much more from Liz, why would he all of a sudden be able to throw strikes in the Majors when he couldn't in the minors?:confused:

Well you kind of answered your own question. If he couldn't throw strikes in the minors, why was he called up in the first place?

This will be my last say on the matter. I don't want to hi-jack the game thread. Someone (it might have been you) said that it's okay to have a high walk rate if the K rate is up there as well, but if he has only struck out one more guy than he has walked this season, he needs to go down and work on something. I think the guy has pitched his last game as an O for this season baring catastrophe.

Well you kind of answered your own question. If he couldn't throw strikes in the minors, why was he called up in the first place?

This will be my last say on the matter. I don't want to hi-jack the game thread. Someone (it might have been you) said that it's okay to have a high walk rate if the K rate is up there as well, but if he has only struck out one more guy than he has walked this season, he needs to go down and work on something. I think the guy has pitched his last game as an O for this season baring catastrophe.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't me who made the comments about walks and K rate.

Anyway, I was just making the point that people are getting really upset and talking about how he didn't take advantage of his opportunity.

My response to that was, based on his wildness in the minor league, what did you expect?

I completely agree with you his K:BB ratio is terrible

I would send Liz down to start at Norfolk and would not call him up until he had his BB/9 below 3.5.

In fact, if I had it my way, I would do this with all of our Mil pitchers before I brought them up.

Archived