Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

Just now, Oriole4Life said:

My only issue is that a no-hitter is special and Hyde should have given Hess the opportunity to decide himself if he wanted to go for it. At least consult him in the dugout before the inning started.

I understand that Hess pitched on Thursday and it is the beginning of the season and all that. I was pretty upset when it happened but now I've calmed down and understand Hyde's reasoning. I still think he should've let Hess go for it.

Thank you, and well said. Precisely.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

My only issue is that a no-hitter is special and Hyde should have given Hess the opportunity to decide himself if he wanted to go for it. At least consult him in the dugout before the inning started.

I understand that Hess pitched on Thursday and it is the beginning of the season and all that. I was pretty upset when it happened but now I've calmed down and understand Hyde's reasoning. I still think he should've let Hess go for it.

Between Hess pitching last Thursday and it being the beginning of the season it was only a matter of when he got pulled.

This is handled much differently if it was June 1st, Hyde is healthy and he is on a normal 4 days rest. 

I don't have any problem at all with Hess getting pulled. The pitch count was high given short rest and the early point in the season. There's no need to put the kid's arm at risk. And, he was no longer hitting his spots. No matter where Sucre was calling for the ball, it was ending up in the fat part of the plate. He was about to get lit up. This way he ends on a positive note.

My problem was brining in Araujo. I know he needed some work, and a 6 run lead is about the only place you want him. But given that the team no hitter was within reach, I would have liked to see Wright in first. See if you can take the no hitter another inning. See how far you can push it. It would have been a team defining moment, and Hyde gave that up. 

But all in all, Hess seemed to take it in stride. I think we're all more upset about this than the team. 

51 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Probably Elias more than Hyde is behind this decision, but I won't pretend I have any insight into how they're managing things.  I just assume something like that come from the top.  In any case, Elias was hired for a certain approach and expertise, which I think is what we're seeing here, and he should be judged over a few years of making thousands of decisions, and not just pulling Hess.  It still triggers my Mother's Day Massacre PTSD.

I doubt that Elias gave Hyde any such instructions either before or during the game.  Was following on gamecast and was sorry to see Hess pulled.  But I understand Hyde’s thinking.  If you read Hess’s post game comments, it looks like he understands too.

17 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I doubt that Elias gave Hyde any such instructions either before or during the game.  Was following on gamecast and was sorry to see Hess pulled.  But I understand Hyde’s thinking.  If you read Hess’s post game comments, it looks like he understands too.

Pertinent quotes here:  http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/04/brandon-hyde-and-david-hess-on-his-gem-versus-toronto.html

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“I think the biggest thing is that he cares about us a lot,” Hess said. “It’s hard as a player and, I’m sure, harder as a manager to pull a guy for the thought process of keeping him healthy and his well-being. So I have a ton of respect for him in the short time we’ve been together. He makes decisions that are based on the longevity of a player. He’s not thinking what is good right now but is thinking ahead and wants to take care of us. Biggest thing is he cares about each individual guy in this clubhouse and us as a team, and that really shows.”

• Upvote 2

I have to say that I do not disagree with the decision to remove him. However, regarding pitch counts, I was just re-reading a hilarious book called “seasons in hell” about the early Texas Rangers, and I just happened to be reading the part about Jim Bibby’s complete game no-hitter.

He threw 148 pitches.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

So let me get this straight, if they had let him finish the inning and taken him out after 7, you wouldn't be complaining just as loudly?   Honestly,.

I don't believe I'm complaining loudly. Just giving an opinion.

1 hour ago, Santandah said:

“I think the biggest thing is that he cares about us a lot,” Hess said. “It’s hard as a player and, I’m sure, harder as a manager to pull a guy for the thought process of keeping him healthy and his well-being. So I have a ton of respect for him in the short time we’ve been together. He makes decisions that are based on the longevity of a player. He’s not thinking what is good right now but is thinking ahead and wants to take care of us. Biggest thing is he cares about each individual guy in this clubhouse and us as a team, and that really shows.”

Good stuff, and also indicative of a clubhouse which is taking the new approach to heart. 

5 hours ago, Santandah said:

Hess basically saying he understands right now but will think about what could have been the rest of his life. 

My thinking is that you have to just weigh more than pitches thrown right there. Hess wasn’t laboring. He was having quick innings. Our offense was actually giving him a chance to rest. Basically, Hess was getting proper rest between innings. 

However I can see the flip side of what if he’s at 100+ pitches going into the 9th. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hess basically saying he understands right now but will think about what could have been the rest of his life. 

My thinking is that you have to just weigh more than pitches thrown right there. Hess wasn’t laboring. He was having quick innings. Our offense was actually giving him a chance to rest. Basically, Hess was getting proper rest between innings. 

However I can see the flip side of what if he’s at 100+ pitches going into the 9th. 

I'm not sure how you get out of the quote that you quoted that Hess will think about what could have been for the rest of his life.  Did he say something about that elsewhere?  

I was fine with the move.  No-hitters are neat but are relatively common among the "special" feats in baseball.  If he had a perfect game going, I think that would be a much more difficult decision.

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not sure how you get out of the quote that you quoted that Hess will think about what could have been for the rest of his life.  Did he say something about that elsewhere?  

I was fine with the move.  No-hitters are neat but are relatively common among the "special" feats in baseball.  If he had a perfect game going, I think that would be a much more difficult decision.

You don’t think Hess is always going to wonder what could’ve been when he was 8 outs away and having the best stuff of his life?  He is human. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

You don’t think Hess is always going to wonder what could’ve been when he was 8 outs away and having the best stuff of his life?  He is human. 

I didn't say that.  I just wondered where you got that idea from from what you quoted, because he didn't say anything about that.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I didn't say that.  I just wondered where you got that idea from from what you quoted, because he didn't say anything about that.

Just piecing together the obvious. Hess sounds like nothing but a great teammate and a coachable player. It would just be extremely hard to not wonder about that the rest of your life. 

A no hitter is still a no hitter.