Already accomplished something last year's team couldn't

bpilktree

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Speaking of accomplishing something last year’s team couldn’t, I wonder when was the last time the Orioles, or any team for that matter, won four consecutive games with a different reliever getting a save each game.    

Calling @DrungoHazewood!  I'm going with "Never".  Back in the day, pitchers had complete games.  ⚾

On 4/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, Frobby said:

It’s a cute stat, but meaningless.   If they have a winning record in any full month this year, then I’ll be impressed.   

Meaningless? It's a lot better than being 1-4.

Also, we won back to back series only once last year (in May vs KC and TB). We did not win three series in a row at any point.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Also, we won back to back series only once last year (in May vs KC and TB). We did not win three series in a row at any point.

You are missing my point, which had to do with the “winning month” stat.   I addressed it later in the thread.

• Thanks 1

o

Frobby was clearly misunderstood ........ he meant that the "winning month" of March was a meaningless stat because it was not a true month of baseball games, not that the Orioles taking 2 out of 3 games from the Yankees in an early season series was meaningless.

Now that that's out of the way ........

For myself, any and all regular-season Orioles games are ever meaningless, unless they have clinched the division title well ahead of time (like they did in 2014 and in 1979.)

I don't care what phase of a rebuild that the franchise is in, when I see the team in orange-and black uniforms with Birds on their caps playing games that count in the standings, it means something to me.

That does not necessarily make me a better fan than other Oriole fans who may have different rooting interests (such as higher draft picks), I'm just pointing out that that's the way that I'm wired.

o

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Speaking of accomplishing something last year’s team couldn’t, I wonder when was the last time the Orioles, or any team for that matter, won four consecutive games with a different reliever getting a save each game.    

The consecutive does not fit, but Seattle this year has 6 saves from 5 different pitchers.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Also new this year (over last year)

A road win in Toronto and tied their longest winning streak of 4 (which were all at home....so longer road win streak).

54 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't think any Orioles starter had 6, no hit innings last year either.

Trivia - which Orioles pitcher went the furthest into a game without allowing a hit in 2018:

Answer - Chris Tillman, who made it through 4.1 innings without allowing a hit, en route to throwing a 7 inning one-hitter.

I’m still trying to figure out how that happened.    

9 hours ago, bobmc said:

Calling @DrungoHazewood!  I'm going with "Never".  Back in the day, pitchers had complete games.  ⚾

That might be a hard query to run.  It couldn't have happened very often if it has at all.

So... I looked up the teams with the most players with at least one save in a season.  The record is a three-way tie at 12, by the '73 Rangers and the '59 and '61 Kansas City A's.  It appears none of them ever had four games, four wins, four different pitchers getting saves.  Mostly because these were all terrible teams and didn't often win four in a row.

The '17 Nats had 11 players with at least one save and won 97 games, but it doesn't appear that they had four saves by four pitchers consecutively.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That might be a hard query to run.  It couldn't have happened very often if it has at all.

So... I looked up the teams with the most players with at least one save in a season.  The record is a three-way tie at 12, by the '73 Rangers and the '59 and '61 Kansas City A's.  It appears none of them ever had four games, four wins, four different pitchers getting saves.  Mostly because these were all terrible teams and didn't often win four in a row.

The '17 Nats had 11 players with at least one save and won 97 games, but it doesn't appear that they had four saves by four pitchers consecutively.

Per Roch, the O’s did it June 1-4, 1989 (Thurmond, Hickey, Olson, Williamson).   So, WHY NOT?

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Per Roch:

And more Roch:

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:38 AM, bpilktree said:

Hey, it might be a short month, but this team already did something we couldn't do all of last year and that is finish a month with a winning record. The last month we had a winning record was August of 2017.

o

The Orioles managed to have a .500 month in July by going 12-12, just prior to the current Death March that they are on.

A .500 record is not a winning record ........ but for a team that is as bad as this one is, it is certainly noteworthy.

o

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Frobby was clearly misunderstood ........ he meant that the "winning month" of March was a meaningless stat because it was not a true month of baseball games, not that the Orioles taking 2 out of 3 games from the Yankees in an early season series was meaningless.

Now that that's out of the way ........

For myself, any and all regular-season Orioles games are ever meaningless, unless they have clinched the division title well ahead of time (like they did in 2014 and in 1979.)

I don't care what phase of a rebuild that the franchise is in, when I see the team in orange-and black uniforms with Birds on their caps playing games that count in the standings, it means something to me.

That does not necessarily make me a better fan than other Oriole fans who may have different rooting interests (such as higher draft picks), I'm just pointing out that that's the way that I'm wired. )

o

That's pretty much how I feel. (But I don't get upset when I hear that others are going to or have attended games when I'm not there.  ?)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Orioles managed to have a .500 month in July by going 12-12, just prior to the current Death March that they are on.

A .500 record is not a winning record ........ but for a team that is as bad as this one is, it is certainly noteworthy.

o

Nice catch. This team has been shockingly resilient considering how bad the pitching has been.

• Thanks 1