Attendance 2019

Frobby

23 hours ago, Darkhawk said:

I used to go to all of the bobblehead head giveaways.

In the past two years or so they have started doing theme bobbleheads nights with the requirement of buying a separate ticket package and I don't feel like paying that much extra for a cheap hunk of plastic and an aluminum spring. I don't think a team that had a franchise worst year, and is only slightly improved, should be Nickle and diming on bobbleheads. If they want to offer their pre-game party ticket package, go for it. But if you want 25,000 fans on bobblehead day then offer them to the first 25,000 fans like they used to. 

Five years ago I would have been at tonight's game. Not today. 

Good points. I'm not paying a premium for a bobblehead unless its of an actual marketable player. I liked bobbleheads of baseball players. Not baseballs players dressed up as a comic book characters. There aren't any marketable players on the roster right now that haven't already been bobbleized.

Before dynamic pricing you could goto a bobblehead game with a friend, sell one of the two bobbleheads on ebay, and cover the cost of the entire outing. Now you have to pay for the bobblehead on top of the cost of the ticket. No thanks.

2 hours ago, NashLumber said:

The Suck was strong in this promotion. 

But happily not on the field. 

The fans who were there (including me) enjoyed both the Star Wars stuff and the game.

And by the way, only about 2:20 to play.    It was over at 9:25.    

I think the vendors are really suffering.    You can’t sell beer to an empty seat.   

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

http://www.masnsports.com/masn-news-information/2019/05/pepsico-named-the-new-exclusive-soft-drink-and-bottled-water-partner-of-the-orioles.html

Orioles have left Coke for Pepsi. What is the world coming to? 

I always take my own drinks anyway but definitely will now. 

Yea, I am picky about my soft drinks.  

I never drink soda.  So I couldn’t care less but they should have healthier choices at the stadium.  

Also Disani and Aquafina water are really bad for you as they are filtered tap water.  With added chemicals and salt.  Tap water is healthier.  That is another issue I have with the stadium.  At the club level they refuse to give you water even if you are buying drinks at the bar. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

The fans who were there (including me) enjoyed both the Star Wars stuff and the game.

And by the way, only about 2:20 to play.    It was over at 9:25.    

I think the vendors are really suffering.    You can’t sell beer to an empty seat.   

My kids are Star Wars and Dr. Who nuts. I appreciate their enthusiasm. Even dads can make a sideways SW reference occasionally. So I did. 

9 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

Good points. I'm not paying a premium for a bobblehead unless its of an actual marketable player. I liked bobbleheads of baseball players. Not baseballs players dressed up as a comic book characters. There aren't any marketable players on the roster right now that haven't already been bobbleized.

Before dynamic pricing you could goto a bobblehead game with a friend, sell one of the two bobbleheads on ebay, and cover the cost of the entire outing. Now you have to pay for the bobblehead on top of the cost of the ticket. No thanks.

Every team is doing that now.  The question is, to what extent?  The Nationals had special Star Wars and GOT bobbleheads last year that required special purchases.  However, they still ran five bobbleheads- once a month until September- that included Doolittle, Scherzer, Zimmerman, Harper and Rendon.  This year, I'm going to Arlington and bookended my trip around bobbleheads they are offering- Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre- with the Orioles in the middle, but they also have special theme night bobbleheads throughout the year.  I was looking at going to the Indians, and they have a special Trevor Bauer themed bobblehead, but are still doing normal giveaways of Francisco Lindor, Mike Clevenger and a few other players.  

To my knowledge, the only bobblehead we are doing this year is Brooks Robinson.  With the new augmented reality at each of the statues behind the bullpens, this would've been a perfect year to have a bobblehead for each statue.   They missed the boat on that one.  It seems that they indeed went all-in on the theme nights- including the college hat nights- some of which are more successful than others.

I totally understand that they don't have marketable players right now who would deserve a bobblehead- no way does Chris Davis deserve another one after last year, and there is no telling if Trumbo, Villar or Givens would be around for their bobblehead giveaway.  But like I said above, there are ways around that right now.  I'm definitely not a fan of the amount of theme night bobbleheads compared to normal- I think it's five to one at this point?  Not including the STH exclusive they are giving out this year (which was a long time coming.)  And this is coming from someone who does get those tickets and has a group of friends who collect them regardless.  

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

http://www.masnsports.com/masn-news-information/2019/05/pepsico-named-the-new-exclusive-soft-drink-and-bottled-water-partner-of-the-orioles.html

Orioles have left Coke for Pepsi. What is the world coming to? 

I always take my own drinks anyway but definitely will now. 

Yea, I am picky about my soft drinks.  

I'm a Coca Cola person by far, but I completely understand the change- the Orioles want to squeeze out as much money as possible, and Pepsi is offering fantastic deals to get into stadiums and get a share of what Coke has as they are so far behind right now  They went into Fed Ex last year, and three years ago got into the Naval Academy (and I know first hand that NAAA and Sodexo got a sweet deal on that one.) 

On 5/4/2019 at 11:59 AM, fansince1988 said:

Prices are also noticeably higher this season for all games on secondary market places, namely Stubhb. I'm pretty sure the mlb teams sell directly through SH, sort of a sneaky way to raise ticket prices without raising them at the gate. Used to be able to easily get in the ballpark for under $10, doesn't appear to be the case this season.

I heard they raised the concession prices back up, after a year or so of lowering them. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't been to a game this season.

Yes, beer went up to over $10 a can in the seats and it was the same 8-8.75 for the longest time.  Concession prices went up across the board, however, if you are a 13,29 or 81 game STH, you have a lanyard which gives you a 15-20% discount at about 66% of the concession areas and the team store.  But that's not in your seat for beer, and that's obviously not for premium concessions like Boogs or the Chipper.  

Edited by ThomasTomasz

On 5/4/2019 at 1:49 PM, Going Underground said:

Most teams now charging more for certain series and giveaways.I found this kind of ridiculous. The Nationals are charging more to see the Orioles during the week, then a good Brewer team the weekend prior.Giveaway also against the Brewers.

The Orioles charge the highest for the Nationals, Yankees and Red Sox.  I went to the first game of the Nats series last year in DC, and was shocked how many Orioles fans turned out there.  The "O" during the National Anthem drowned out the Nats "red" copy attempt.  

On 5/3/2019 at 11:39 PM, Orioles1954 said:

Free is almost too much. I agree with your original premise. The Orioles have been beyond pathetic in marketing their club. Other than a couple cheesy radio and TV spots what do you have? Even during the "glory days" (at least for me) from 2012-2016 I seldom saw any type of meaningful community involvement. Where were the promotional teams, rallies, billboards, endorsements? The Nats have them beat in that regard hands down.

They just hired a guy from the Miami Heat last summer to lead the charge in the business department, and they did a fantastic job overhauling the STH program over the off-season- which was why they were so late in renewals.  We went from having one of the worst packages of benefits not just in MLB, but in the entirety of the big four professional leagues in North America, to one that offers a ton of value and is close to what a lot of other teams offer.  So I'll take that kind of dynamic change in less than a year, and hope the changes continue to cascade next year.  In posts above this one I made, they definitely need to work on some of the giveaways and balance out the theme night bobbleheads with normal ones, but if the Birdland Membership change was any indication, they've got a good start on things. 

4 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

They just hired a guy from the Miami Heat last summer to lead the charge in the business department, and they did a fantastic job overhauling the STH program over the off-season- which was why they were so late in renewals.  We went from having one of the worst packages of benefits not just in MLB, but in the entirety of the big four professional leagues in North America, to one that offers a ton of value and is close to what a lot of other teams offer.  So I'll take that kind of dynamic change in less than a year, and hope the changes continue to cascade next year.  In posts above this one I made, they definitely need to work on some of the giveaways and balance out the theme night bobbleheads with normal ones, but if the Birdland Membership change was any indication, they've got a good start on things. 

You heard he quit right?  Thread about it and everything.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You heard he quit right?  Thread about it and everything.

I found it, but my point regarding the Birdland Memberships remains the same.  They did a complete 180 on that, and deserve a lot of credit for it.  Someone is going to have to carry the water here in the future, but I'd love for them to continue to look outside of baseball for someone to run the business department, since baseball across the board is struggling with attendance right now.  

Also, very odd that both the Redskins and Orioles hire a new person to run their respective business departments, and neither hire made it over a year.  Both well known and respected in their fields, both teams have meddling owners.  Curious.  

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I found it, but my point regarding the Birdland Memberships remains the same.  They did a complete 180 on that, and deserve a lot of credit for it.  Someone is going to have to carry the water here in the future, but I'd love for them to continue to look outside of baseball for someone to run the business department, since baseball across the board is struggling with attendance right now.  

Also, very odd that both the Redskins and Orioles hire a new person to run their respective business departments, and neither hire made it over a year.  Both well known and respected in their fields, both teams have meddling owners.  Curious.  

Maybe because no one renewed their season tickets.   Maybe baseball is struggling with attendance because they do things like promo nights that cost more.  

What new benefits did you get?

12 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I'm a Coca Cola person by far, but I completely understand the change- the Orioles want to squeeze out as much money as possible, and Pepsi is offering fantastic deals to get into stadiums and get a share of what Coke has as they are so far behind right now  They went into Fed Ex last year, and three years ago got into the Naval Academy (and I know first hand that NAAA and Sodexo got a sweet deal on that one.) 

Pepsi is always trying hard to get into markets.

People want Coke.

Pepsi has had to purchase food chains and restaurants, as well as made insane deals to get their product carried.