Attendance 2019

Frobby

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

MLB daily attendance is down all across baseball and has been dropping for 4 years now. Not just here.

MLB needs to figure out how to fix this.

IMO

Hint: “Players’ Weekend” is not the answer.     

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

You mean you didn't "love" the uniforms Frobby? It will be interesting to see how many fans buy those disgusting tops...

I disliked the uniforms and I think the whole idea was fun as a one-time thing but isn’t worthy of an annual event.   And it certainly didn’t draw a crowd to OPACY last weekend.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I disliked the uniforms and I think the whole idea was fun as a one-time thing but isn’t worthy of an annual event.   And it certainly didn’t draw a crowd to OPACY last weekend.  

I would think it is more about showing off the players personalities and selling jerseys than increasing attendance during those games. 

That said this year they were awful. 

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would think it is more about showing off the players personalities and selling jerseys than increasing attendance during those games. 

That said this year they were awful. 

How much does it really show the players’ personalities?    I now know that John Means’ nickname is “Meansy” and that he supposedly likes the burnt roast ends with mac and cheese that they sell somewhere in the ballpark.    Geez, he’s practically like a close relative of mine after those revelations!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

How much does it really show the players’ personalities?    I now know that John Means’ nickname is “Meansy” and that he supposedly likes the burnt roast ends with mac and cheese that they sell somewhere in the ballpark.    Geez, he’s practically like a close relative of mine after those revelations!

The only positive contribution from the weekend might be to raise the question why players can't wear shoes and use bats of their own preference. Allowing or encouraging them to do those things would be a small but positive step in improving MLB's image. 

It won't happen.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Why else are they doing it? 

The entire weekend is about the players. 

47 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why else are they doing it? 

The entire weekend is about the players. 

I’m not saying they aren’t doing it for that reason.   I’m just saying it’s a rather clumsy attempt in my opinion.    Selling the players takes more than putting some contrived nickname on an all black or all white uniform for three games a year.     

And this may just be the dinosaur in me talking, but I don’t think the lack of personalities is baseball’s big problem.    The slowing down of the game and reduction of plays where athleticism is on display is a much bigger issue, I think.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm hoping this one gets the highest bid.

Chico: Why a duck?

Groucho: (after a pause)I’m fine, how are you? I said this is a viaduct leading over to the mainland.

Chico: All right, why a duck?

Groucho: I say that’s a viaduct.

Chico: All right, why a duck? Why a duck? Why not a chicken?

Groucho: Well, I don’t know why not a chicken. I’m a stranger here myself. I know that’s a viaduct. You try to cross over there on a chicken and you’ll find out why a duck.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not saying they aren’t doing it for that reason.   I’m just saying it’s a rather clumsy attempt in my opinion.    Selling the players takes more than putting some contrived nickname on an all black or all white uniform for three games a year.     

And this may just be the dinosaur in me talking, but I don’t think the lack of personalities is baseball’s big problem.    The slowing down of the game and reduction of plays where athleticism is on display is a much bigger issue, I think.    

I agree about pace and athleticism.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Drew Brees isn't a particularly exciting personality. He's really popular and a face of the NFL. So, I don't buy the "players are boring" take. MLB just needs to be better at marketing the very good players they have already.

We went to Nationals Park tonight.  A few minutes before the game, it looked like an Orioles-sized (small) crowd.  They must arrive late because the place filled up pretty well along the baselines, upper and lower decks.  Only LF, where we were sitting, had a lot of empty seats.   Announced crowd a little under 25K;, not many O's fans made the trip.    Before the game, Severino had a game of catch with a young Nats fan, who was in the stands close to the fence.

Good guys 2 - Nats 0