Attendance 2019

Frobby

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

There's also some envy, or whatever you want to call it. 

Why, or how can a working class family justify spending good money on watching a sport where players don't really have to perform up to a standard but still get paid? 

Do you pay money to take the family to the movies? Do those stars perform to the level of their abilities every time?

Do you pay money to take the family to concerts, do those people bring their A voice, every time?

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Do you pay money to take the family to the movies? Do those stars perform to the level of their abilities every time?

Do you pay money to take the family to concerts, do those people bring their A voice, every time?

Actors get paid on their perceived appeal to draw movie goers. And people aren't assigned a movie based on where they live.  I don't think people mind as much because if they can't stand Adam Sandler they don't pay to watch his movies.   That doesn't mean they don't watch any movies at all.  And the independent movie with a bunch of unknown actors isn't any cheaper than the one with the $400 million dollar budget.

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The team sucks this year, so why take the time and money to watch them.

I get it, I havent gone as much as I typically do.

The point I was trying to make was about the game being littered with players making excessive salaries for playing terrible baseball. Most of them would not even be in the game if the contracts were not guaranteed. 

This does pertain to the O's, but attendance is down all across the board. There's more to the story but this is at least part of the story.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:22 AM, Frobby said:

I previously guessed 1.35 - 1.40 mm, but the showing last week convinces me it will be lower.    I was pretty shocked how low the attendance was this weekend.  

1,144,220 with 13 home games remaining:

TEX 4 games on a Thurs. - Sun.

LAD 3 games on a Tues. - Thurs.

TOR 3 games on a Tues. - Thurs.

SEA 3 games on a Fri. - Sun.

They would need to average 15,829 the rest of the way to reach 1.35 mm.   They’d need to average 11,983 to reach 1.30 mm.   I think they’ll manage the latter but not the former.

They now need to average 13,000 a game or so to get a little over 1.3 million. Sunday is the last Dugout Club game,so maybe get a little attendance boost. I don't see another 20,000 or over game  for the season. So looks like about a little over a 250,000 drop in attendance from last year. Also two less home games because of rainouts last year. I don;t think attendance can go much lower because of 19 Yankee and Red Sox home games. Without those games the Orioles  would have similar numbers to the Rays attendance. A few other teams will have bigger drops then the Orioles for this year. Giants and Jays. A few similar drops including the Nationals and Tigers. 

31 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They now need to average 13,000 a game or so to get a little over 1.3 million. Sunday is the last Dugout Club game,so maybe get a little attendance boost. I don't see another 20,000 or over game  for the season. So looks like about a little over a 250,000 drop in attendance from last year. Also two less home games because of rainouts last year. I don;t think attendance can go much lower because of 19 Yankee and Red Sox home games. Without those games the Orioles  would have similar numbers to the Rays attendance. A few other teams will have bigger drops then the Orioles for this year. Giants and Jays. A few similar drops including the Nationals and Tigers. 

Tampa, I am sure gets boost from Yankee and Red Sox games as well. I think attendance can definitely go down last year. Also I am sure actual attendance is much lower than paid attendance.  

I would think 1 million fans is quite possible next year if no improvements are made in off-season.  No need to even get season tickets for opening day as there were plenty of tickets available this year for opening day. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Tampa, I am sure gets boost from Yankee and Red Sox games as well. I think attendance can definitely go down last year. Also I am sure actual attendance is much lower than paid attendance.  

I would think 1 million fans is quite possible next year if no improvements are made in off-season.  No need to even get season tickets for opening day as there were plenty of tickets available this year for opening day. 

Be the lowest average per game attendance since 1978 in Baltimore..Would definitely be the lowest attendance ever at Camden Yards. Never have averaged below 20,000 a game at Csmden Yards. Will not be even close to that this year