Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I know I am risking the wrath of many but I have my doubts that his bat would play right now.  Did Hays bat play in 2017 after posting a 960 OPS in AA?   He may get off to a hot start if ML pitchers challenge him with the fastball but sooner or later pitchers will look to take advantage of his aggressive tendencies.  

I agree.   He’s no sure thing.    I think he’d do OK, but who knows?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I know I am risking the wrath of many but I have my doubts that his bat would play right now.  Did Hays bat play in 2017 after posting a 960 OPS in AA?   He may get off to a hot start if ML pitchers challenge him with the fastball but sooner or later pitchers will look to take advantage of his aggressive tendencies.  

Agree with this. 14 walks in 440 PA's would not play in the majors. Playing 1B, thats ridiculous. But I dont know if its any better or how he looks in the OF.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.   He’s no sure thing.    I think he’d do OK, but who knows?

If he's just OK thats not someone you push out Mancini or Nunez for. Two guys who are on their way to hitting 40 HR's. Defensively neither are very good, so if Mountcastle can learn to play solid at 1B or the OF, that would give him an edge. 

51 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If he's just OK thats not someone you push out Mancini or Nunez for. Two guys who are on their way to hitting 40 HR's. Defensively neither are very good, so if Mountcastle can learn to play solid at 1B or the OF, that would give him an edge. 

This is funny. I don't think either Mancini or Nunez are going to hit 40 this year and that is during a season when home runs are flying out at record breaking pace throughout the league. 

Mountcastle is a consensus Top 100 prospect based on scouting experts who have watched him play numerous times over several seasons and discuss his skills with this within the industry. Yet posters here have decided that due to a single stat category that he won't be able to hit in the majors. 

Despite its flaws, MLB Pipeline has Mountcastle is the NUMBER TWO first base prospect in baseball, only behind the guy who just got taken #3 overall in this spring's draft. If Mountcastle can't play first base and hit at a major league level, then I guess there is only 1 first baseman who will be up to the task. 

2 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

This is funny. I don't think either Mancini or Nunez are going to hit 40 this year and that is during a season when home runs are flying out at record breaking pace throughout the league. 

Mountcastle is a consensus Top 100 prospect based on scouting experts who have watched him play numerous times over several seasons and discuss his skills with this within the industry. Yet posters here have decided that due to a single stat category that he won't be able to hit in the majors. 

Despite its flaws, MLB Pipeline has Mountcastle is the NUMBER TWO first base prospect in baseball, only behind the guy who just got taken #3 overall in this spring's draft. If Mountcastle can't play first base and hit at a major league level, then I guess there is only 1 first baseman who will be up to the task. 

I think there's a shot one of them will, but both will get to 35+ easily without any injuries hitting them. I just cant envision any scenario where a 1B who walks under 20 times a season is going to produce enough to move Mancini or Nunez. The low bar is Nunez right now who is hitting 249 with a .316 OBP. Even without walking, Mountcastle may well be able to clear those numbers.  

6 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Which posters have said that he won't hit in the majors?  

I feel everyone thinks he will hit to a certain extent.  The problem is his walk rate isn't just low.  It's absurdly low.  It's hard to even find comps at the MLB level.  So I think it's important that he is able to play LF adequately.  At 1B, he's probably going to be no better than a league average starter.