TT: Ynoa, it's time to say goodbye to Mike Wright

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So they are searching for a reason.  

I'm sure you can find an injury if you look hard enough.

I am sure that happens with the O's but I don't think that is what is going on here.

There is a good frame on reference for how Bleier pitches when he is healthy from his work in 2017-2018.   Bleier does not look recovered from his lat surgery.   He needs more rehab plain and simple.

He says he needs to pitch but his recovery time is longer that he or management would like.  That may be true. He could go to a minor league team and rehab there.  Or he could go to Sarasota.  We will probably know what the O's decide to do in a day or so.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am sure that happens with the O's but I don't think that is what is going on here.

There is a good frame on reference for how Bleier pitches when he is healthy from his work in 2017-2018.   Bleier does not look recovered from his lat surgery.   He needs more rehab plain and simple.

He says he needs to pitch but his recovery time is longer that he or management would like.  That may be true. He could go to a minor league team and rehab there.  Or he could go to Sarasota.  We will probably know what the O's decide to do in a day or so.

Bleier is a guy that outpitched his stuff.  Doesn't strike anyone out.  I don't know if he's fully healthy or not, but I'm pretty sure he's not as good as he was during that stretch.

• Upvote 1

With as bad as Straily and Rogers looked last night (stuff wise), Wright probably is not going anywhere right now for no other reason then he can do what he did last night and throw some mop up innings. I was never impressed with Rogers' stuff, which is why he didn't make our top 30 despite the fact that he was about as major league ready as he was going to be, but last night his stuff was NP stuff.

17 hours ago, interloper said:

It's..... CRAZY

At this point I just have to respect his survivability. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I guarantee his next appearance will be scoreless and he'll strike out the side. Or go 4 scoreless innings in emergency long relief. Whatever it takes to pull him back from the brink of DFA, he will do miraculously. 

What'd I say. He did it again! He didn't strike out the side, but he did have 3 K's over 2 scoreless.

Looked much more in control and focused on his fastball. And so he lives another day..................

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bleier is a guy that outpitched his stuff.  Doesn't strike anyone out.  I don't know if he's fully healthy or not, but I'm pretty sure he's not as good as he was during that stretch.

Strikeouts are not the only measure of good pitching.  While  I understand that you and, in fact,  Elias value them highly, Bleier has pitched effectively without a high number of them.  The fact the Bleier pitched effectively for two seasons for the O's points out that he can do his job very well when healthy.

That is has had lat surgery is a major factor here.

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

What'd I say. He did it again! He didn't strike out the side, but he did have 3 K's over 2 scoreless.

Looked much more in control and focused on his fastball. And so he lives another day..................

Ynoa, you're Wright, he did it again!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Strikeouts are not the only measure of good pitching.  While  I understand that you and, in fact,  Elias value them highly, Bleier has pitched effectively without a high number of them.  The fact the Bleier pitched effectively for two seasons for the O's points out that he can do his job very well when healthy.

I don't think they're the end all, be all, but I do value them.  In a day and age where we're constantly measuring how hard batters hit pitches, I'd prefer it if we had guys that didn't provide the opportunity to do so.  

I do believe there are pitchers that can get by without striking out batters but I question how long that can last and how much margin for error they live on.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Fewer strikeouts = smaller margin of error.    Bleier’s stuff has looked very flat and his command hasn’t been as good as usual.    So he’s getting hammered.    I do think that even if he was/is 100% healthy, he wasn’t likely to be a sub-3 ERA pitcher on a consistent basis, even though he was able to do that for 3 straight years.    But he hasn’t looked right this season.   Whether that’s because he needs more time to recover from his injury, or he’s just lost his edge after missing half a season last year, I don’t know.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yep, its amazing, every time it looks like he is done Wright has a good outing.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Maybe he should look into ADHD medicine if the problem is ability on some days to focus.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bleier isn’t an overpowering thrower. He relies on location, deception and movement. The long layoff probably messed that all up and he might never get back into that zone again.

Even with Britton, his sinker has never come back, since he got hurt in 2017, to the devastating out pitch it was prior. 

Utterly amazed how long Wright has been able to keep a roster spot.

5 years of not a sliver of success from a once fringe prospect. And he's kept his roster spot. 

There will be no better year than 2019 to see what Means, Rogers, Ramirez, Ynoa, & Hess really have while the legit prospects earn their way to the majors. Rogers hasn't showed any promise really. I think Ramirez could be successful as long as he throws strikes. Home-runs allowed from Hess scare me. Means' changeup seems filthy but I wonder if it's because it's actually filthy or major league hitters just hasn't seen it yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, Tony-OH said:

TT: Ynoa, it's time to say goodbye to Mike Wright

This probably won't come as a big surprise, but I've been of the belief that Mike Wright is not going to be a successful major league pitcher for some time now. I once held out hope if he was converted into a one or two inning reliever that he would throw harder more consistently and when he focused on his change it could be a nice complement piece. 

This year, the new regime had him ditch the change (only thrown 3) and focus more on the cutter (designated as a slider in statcast) but the results have been pretty horrific since his 1st two outings of the year, including the outing when he was brought in to save the game and was all hyped up and throwing 95-97 MPH vs his normal 93-94. 

While the cutter has gotten some whiffs (36.4%), he misses too much with the pitch and batters have hit .462 with a .923 SLG against the pitch so far though the expected BA (.251) and SLG (.456) suggest he has run into a little bit of bad luck. The big issue though is without enough change of speed (89.4 for cutter vs 94.1 for FB) or plane, his fastball has been getting murdered for a .833 avg (.441 xBA) and 1.500 SLG (.906 xSLG). It's worth noting that in the 20 sinkers (92.8 MPH) he's thrown batters were 0-for-3 when batters put it in play making it his only successful pitch so far in 2019.

While I don't necessarily believe any combination of Mike Wright will be successful, I do think he's got a lot better chance of being better as a sinker, change-up guy with an occasional cutter/4 seamer than this FB/cutter guy. BTW, last year batter put up a .204 xBA  against the change and throughout Wright's minor league career his change was his best offspeed pitch.

Saying that, if the Orioles are going to run Wright out there as a cutter/FB guy, then it's time to cut bait and bring up Gabriel Ynoa and give him a shot at the Wright role. While I don't necessarily believe Ynoa is a long term answer, I did like what I saw in a couple of his outings where he at least showed a 4-pitch mix.

Ynoa, sometimes you gotta give a guy a chance !!!

o

(11 DAYS LATER)

Good call, Tony.

Ynoa Gomez has been called up from AAA-Norfolk, and Wright has been DFA'd.

o

• Haha 1