Adam Hall 2019

Frobby

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

After going 0 for 6 on Monday (yet somehow scoring 3 runs) and taking a day off yesterday, Hall got back on track today, going 2 for 4 with 2 stolen bases and a walk.   Now hitting .302/.434/.372.

That's why I selected him as OH MiLB POD

• Upvote 1

Some perspective on Hall's 2019 start - 

- top obp in Sally league - .466 - after 12 games

- 6 games with 2 or more hits in last 8

- only 3 xbh in in 47 ABs

- already 10 BBs in last 12 games after 17 BBs in 62 games in 2018

Some pretty remarkable changes - especially comparing the poor start last season (not addressed in numbers above) to this year.  It is especially nice to see the better control of the strike zone.  I am very interested to see how Hall develops as he figures out what he can do, what he should do better and what he can't do and whether there is more physical development in his body or if he can add some strength.  As Luke notes above, Hall needs to lift the ball more and to start find gaps to get more doubles.

12 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

- already 10 BBs in last 12 games after 17 BBs in 62 games in 2018.....

....It is especially nice to see the better control of the strike zone.  

On the other hand, he is striking out a lot more than last year (16 times in 58 PA).    Letting a lot of counts get deep, I guess.     But I thought that’s what he stopped doing that led to him getting hot last year.    Whatever, it’s working.  

BTW, I noticed that Hall got HBP 11 times in 62 games last year.   Ouch!    Only once this season so far.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

On the other hand, he is striking out a lot more than last year (16 times in 58 PA).    Letting a lot of counts get deep, I guess.     But I thought that’s what he stopped doing that led to him getting hot last year.    Whatever, it’s working.  

BTW, I noticed that Hall got HBP 11 times in 62 games last year.   Ouch!    Only once this season so far.   

I think this is a process for Hall - likely working counts, getting BBs, striking out because of the deep counts, - all part of the development process.  At some point, he will be more comfortable and more selective and start swinging at pitches he knows he can drive early in the count.  His early K numbers are skewed by the 5 Ks in his first two games.  If Hall can get the K rate under 20% and start hitting some gaps for doubles and triples, I think his prospect status will get to another level.  It is a process of learning, repetition and adjustments, and I am eager to see how Hall is doing in July and August.  

36 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I think this is a process for Hall - likely working counts, getting BBs, striking out because of the deep counts, - all part of the development process.  At some point, he will be more comfortable and more selective and start swinging at pitches he knows he can drive early in the count.  His early K numbers are skewed by the 5 Ks in his first two games.  If Hall can get the K rate under 20% and start hitting some gaps for doubles and triples, I think his prospect status will get to another level.  It is a process of learning, repetition and adjustments, and I am eager to see how Hall is doing in July and August.  

For me, his prospect level is already pretty high.   I had him at no. 11 on my personal list last Fall and he’s done nothing to disappoint me in the early going.    

I guess the big question is, assuming he doesn’t develop any power, will he still get on base at a good clip as he moves up the ranks (and eventually into the majors)?   I could see him as a 2003/04 BRob type.   

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

19 years old and 170 pounds.  Still a good chance he at least grows into doubles power.

I’m not concerned about him getting stronger, it’s about bat path, it’s harder to predict who can make those changes and who can’t. I’m ready to jump on the train if/when he does.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not concerned about him getting stronger, it’s about bat path, it’s harder to predict who can make those changes and who can’t. I’m ready to jump on the train if/when he does.

If he doesn't make that adjustment, what can he become? If he does make that adjustment, what is the ceiling? Are we talking about the difference between Drew Jackson and Trea Turner?

1 minute ago, WalkWithElias said:

If he doesn't make that adjustment, what can he become? If he does make that adjustment, what is the ceiling? Are we talking about the difference between Drew Jackson and Trea Turner?

More like Orlando Arcia vs Whit Merrifield, although both of those outcomes are discounting the risk of failing to adapt to advanced pitching (a relatively small risk, but a risk nonetheless).

• Upvote 1