Rylan Bannon 2019

Frobby

.326 BA, .967 OPS.  2 HR, 4 walks and 9 k's in 46 at bats to start the season.  There were some questions about his hit tool and how the bat would play as he advances.  So far, so good.

Our only legitimate infield (non-first base) prospect in the system that is not in low A ball.  If he can end up being a starting caliber player at 2B or 3B that would be huge for us. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He’s eliminated the big leg kick timing mechanism. 

He was getting caught out on the front foot a lot in Bowie last year which hurt his contact quality.

What worries me about Bannon isn’t the bat it’s where does he play. When I saw him in ST he looked like he wasn’t athletic enough to play 2nd but didn’t have the arm to play 3rd. Hopefully, I’m wrong. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What worries me about Bannon isn’t the bat it’s where does he play. When I saw him in ST he looked like he wasn’t athletic enough to play 2nd but didn’t have the arm to play 3rd. Hopefully, I’m wrong. 

I think he can handle either just fine. Just one play but you can see how quick his transfer and release are.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good to know. Thanks. I’m telling you is those darn ST numbers. Nobody looks like a ball player wearing #97. 

To be fair, Bannon is not a guy that has physical tools that jump out at you and he's really small. I'm sure some scouts didn't put a draftable grade on him in college. So it's not just you. I talk to a couple scouts from time to time and Bannon is the guy I differ the most from them on, because he's just the type of player scouts generally overlook (for good reasons mostly). 

It's also possible I'm wrong, I try to temper my Bannon expectations because he's a guy I thought was good 4th-5th round value on draft day and I've been the high man on him his entire career and wanted the Orioles to acquire him. My gut says he's an everyday 2B, but I can't defend a 50 grade on him at this point. 

• Upvote 2

Bannon is off to a nice start. Defensively, I've been less then impressed with his ability at 2B. Maybe won't kill you there but I don't see a lot of lateral quickness and the arm is not great. As for third base, I'll need to see more of the arm but although he can play there, he will be limited on those plays that require a big arm.

Nice start with the bat though.